Almaplena Beach vs Maya Chan Beach

hpecorari

• 2 weeks later...
I am researching the same thing. do a search for mitsugirly. She has some great information and reviews of both.

Yes, she does. I've read them. Both have some good points and some not so good so I'm really trying to figure this all out. I'm not a snorkeler so that's one thing to factor in and I don't know if the possible sea grass problem (sometimes it's worse than others) is the only negative for Maya Chan.

Harriet

I'll throw in a 3rd option for you as well...check out my new review on Blue Kay. We just returned less than 2 weeks ago and it was AMAZING! Beautiful crystal clear blue water, amazing facility, HUGE long beach with powdery sand (snorkeling if you want), great food and excellent service. The best part, 5 minutes from port. :D

I just finished the review on it. I don't have the link up yet, but it's my Sun review. There are over 200 pictures of the place. :)

I'll throw in a 3rd option for you as well...check out my new review on Blue Kay. We just returned less than 2 weeks ago and it was AMAZING! Beautiful crystal clear blue water, amazing facility, HUGE long beach with powdery sand (snorkeling if you want), great food and excellent service. The best part, 5 minutes from port. :D

I just finished the review on it. I don't have the link up yet, but it's my Sun review. There are over 200 pictures of the place. :)

I am choosing Almaplena based on your reviews. And advice. We like the privacy. And the beautiful beach.

Now that you have been to Blue Kay.... Should we change? Which do you recommend?

I am choosing Almaplena based on your reviews. And advice. We like the privacy. And the beautiful beach.

Now that you have been to Blue Kay.... Should we change? Which do you recommend?

It would be entirely up to you. I can't advise you to change, but if you look at the review and pictures you should be able to decide which would suit you the best. They are both fabulous places for sure! :D If there are any certain questions you might have on either that I can help you with, just let me know.

It would be entirely up to you. I can't advise you to change, but if you look at the review and pictures you should be able to decide which would suit you the best. They are both fabulous places for sure! :D If there are any certain questions you might have on either that I can help you with, just let me know.

Thank you.

Which was more private or less crowded?

Which had a better beach with soft clean sand?

Which had cleaner clearer water?

Price is not an issue. I read your review. They both sound great.

Thank you.

Which was more private or less crowded?

Which had a better beach with soft clean sand?

Which had cleaner clearer water?

Price is not an issue. I read your review. They both sound great.

Well, the day we went, we had 1 couple sitting in front of us at the chairs/table/palapa at Blue Kay. There were a few people, I'm guessing maybe 10, down the beach a ways toward the end. It may have been people that were staying there at the lodge/camping area.

When we were at Almaplena, we had our family and 2 other families I believe from the ship there. They only allow like 10 people (or was it 20...it's been awhile) for the day there. But, not many people know about the place unless they have read my review and went there. Then they have lodging there as well too...just a few rooms. So, I'm guessing maybe 15 people tops there the day we were there.

Both places have soft clean sand. But the beach at Blue Kay was more gentle with a very slow slope going out...well, like I said in my review, I could stand up almost out to the rocks where the snorkeling was. Almaplena had a small drop in the sand right before hitting the water like you sometimes see at some of the beaches in the Caribbean. It's just where the water comes up and washes away the sand and you get that small drop down. It was no biggie to me. Blue Kay's beach was definitely a lot bigger and longer although at Almaplena, there isn't anything around there, so you could still walk a little ways down even though you were no longer on the Almaplena property.

Both places had crystal clear water when we were there. I enjoyed the water probably a little more at Blue Kay just for the fact that it was more shallow...which means you can see more from above. Obviously the deeper the water gets, the less you can see from above. If you are snorkeling with a mask and your head under the water, of course you are going to see everything either way.

I personally think the advantage of Blue Kay over Almaplena is the distance and time. With it being so close to the port, you save travel time and can stay longer. If Almaplena was closer, I would probably alternate back and forth between the two every time I went. You just can't go wrong at either I promise.

Well, the day we went, we had 1 couple sitting in front of us at the chairs/table/palapa at Blue Kay. There were a few people, I'm guessing maybe 10, down the beach a ways toward the end. It may have been people that were staying there at the lodge/camping area.

When we were at Almaplena, we had our family and 2 other families I believe from the ship there. They only allow like 10 people (or was it 20...it's been awhile) for the day there. But, not many people know about the place unless they have read my review and went there. Then they have lodging there as well too...just a few rooms. So, I'm guessing maybe 15 people tops there the day we were there.

Both places have soft clean sand. But the beach at Blue Kay was more gentle with a very slow slope going out...well, like I said in my review, I could stand up almost out to the rocks where the snorkeling was. Almaplena had a small drop in the sand right before hitting the water like you sometimes see at some of the beaches in the Caribbean. It's just where the water comes up and washes away the sand and you get that small drop down. It was no biggie to me. Blue Kay's beach was definitely a lot bigger and longer although at Almaplena, there isn't anything around there, so you could still walk a little ways down even though you were no longer on the Almaplena property.

Both places had crystal clear water when we were there. I enjoyed the water probably a little more at Blue Kay just for the fact that it was more shallow...which means you can see more from above. Obviously the deeper the water gets, the less you can see from above. If you are snorkeling with a mask and your head under the water, of course you are going to see everything either way.

I personally think the advantage of Blue Kay over Almaplena is the distance and time. With it being so close to the port, you save travel time and can stay longer. If Almaplena was closer, I would probably alternate back and forth between the two every time I went. You just can't go wrong at either I promise.

Great. Thank you. It sounds like a coin toss. I think we will stick with Almaplena since it is already booked. Thanks again. You're help is always greatly appreciated.