Are flip flops frowned on in dining room, not formal nite?

lilmsonry

Can you imagine if everyone went barefoot in the dining room. What a sight.

Wouldn't be much worse than everyone wearing flip flops... not much difference between a couple of pieces of rubber attached to your feet by a piece of plastic and bare feet :D

CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON THE SAINTS AND SINNERS PART DEUX CRUISE, CARNIVAL CONQUEST 10/15/06

Goingcrusin - I guess you're the saint and I'm the sinner. I have a pair of red flip flop's I guess I better put them on. Sorry they aren't rubber though.

PAGCURN: HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Yeah, I'm a saint :D That's it :D I've been trying to convince my group of that for years... Now I have a backer!!!!! And to think, all it takes is a pair of flip flops, or lack thereof...

Just my opinion...

The cheap $3 Old Navy kind? Not appropriate.

Nice flip flops? Those are okay. I didn't want to wear heels with my dress (floor length halter dress) on formal night so I went and got a pair of beaded flip flops at Nordstrom. Comfortable, but not overly casual.

Not trying to pick on you Nicole... honest. But it seg-ways nicely into conversations that occur at work regarding dress.

And this discussion comes up at work quite a bit... and it usually only revolves around what woman wear. Nothing to do with Cruises. More to do with interpretation of what is appropriate.

Like when is it a legg'en or when is it a sweat pant. Is a skort shorts or a dress. Women are very good at descerning (justifying) what they wear. They can split hairs better than the best of them.

Men aren't as deserning. If you allow them to wear shorts to work, they will wear anything... cut off jeans, cut off sweat pants, and old pair of dress shorts that can no longer be considered "dress".

This is really what this topic is about. Justifying wearing something that the person asking knows ahead of time is wrong or incorrect. We all know what business dress casual is. Yet we ask the question hoping that someone will say it is all right to wear cut of blue denim shorts with a T-shirt and flip-flops, or denim in general.

To those asking the question: just get over it and wear something decent. You’re out in public, eating at a nice restaurant, with folks who dress up nice.

Don’t be a pig… just because you can.

Flip-Flops are fine! Nobody really sees the feet.

Long sleeves are sometimes good b/c of the A/C turned up. Children get cold.

I wore a sporty baseball cap one-night (bad hair nite lol) and hoped no one really noticed. It was a blue levi type sport cap.

Goingcrusin - I'll back you as a saint. You just tell all your buddies to talk to me I'll tell them the way it is. If they don't like it I'll smack them with my flip flop. HEHEHEHEHEHE :D :D :D

Watch out for the Californian with flip flops:D .

I have seen many wear baseball hats in the dining room. It is a new world. People should just live and let live.

I would never say anything for it, but those of us that grew up with even a shred of etiquette and respect would never even THINK about wearing a hat during dinner... It might be a new world, but that doesn't mean everyone should just throw respect and manners out the window. "You might be a redneck if..." :D

Respectfully,

Goincruisin (no G :D)

I would never say anything for it, but those of us that grew up with even a shred of etiquette and respect would never even THINK about wearing a hat during dinner... It might be a new world, but that doesn't mean everyone should just throw respect and manners out the window. "You might be a redneck if..." :D

Respectfully,

Goincruisin (no G :D)

Oh, GC...

Back to the original question...

What about those thingys that are just a loop around the big toe connected to a loop around the ankle...no bottom a'tall?

Those would be really comfy...only thing is that the bottoms of your feet would get really black from the dirt.

Would those be okay if you keep your feet under the table?

:p LOL!

~Stir

Stir!!! What's up!!! Long time no see! I have 2 "pairs" of those "whatever you call them"... hey, they work :D I mean, women wear them when they get married on the beach right?? LOL... so of course if flip flops are acceptable they should be :p

Just how long do people keep their feet under these tables?? LOL... I keep hearing that, but how do you get around the whole "moving around, getting in and out" thing?? Everyone keeps saying that their feet are under the table... I always take mine with me :D ;)

I just thought of something ...

Perhaps we shouldn't be so critical of the flip-flop wearers, after all.

Perhaps they simply can't afford and don't own real shoes.

The poor dears.

Somehow, this is Carnival's fault, like the hurricanes. Carnival should have a "shoe closet" for these poor people to borrow shoes from so they won't have to keep their feet tucked away, be embarrassed or justify their need for flip-flops!

I'm going to write to Bob Dickenson right away ...

Just how long do people keep their feet under these tables?? LOL... I keep hearing that, but how do you get around the whole "moving around, getting in and out" thing?? Everyone keeps saying that their feet are under the table... I always take mine with me :D ;)

They wear a long dress and kinda squat down so that it covers their feet...then they shuffle their way in and out of the dining room.;)

If you can master this move, you can even go barefoot!

No, I wouldn't wear them. It's gross to have feet showing in an area where food is served. Yuck. Flip-flops are flip flops even with sequins and flash. I wouldn't do it. Many people would. Do what you want (are you really going to change your mind based on stranger feedback on a message board?).

Flip-Flops are fine! Nobody really sees the feet.

Long sleeves are sometimes good b/c of the A/C turned up. Children get cold.

I wore a sporty baseball cap one-night (bad hair nite lol) and hoped no one really noticed. It was a blue levi type sport cap.

If one more person posts this I will scream. We had to walk the length of the ship to our dining room and back. People WILL see your feet. I look at people's feet. If people didn't look at feet, people wouldnt have different shoes for different outfits, wouldn't take several pairs of shoes on their cruise. PEOPLE LOOK AT FEET!

The poor dears.

Somehow, this is Carnival's fault, like the hurricanes. Carnival should have a "shoe closet" for these poor people to borrow shoes from so they won't have to keep their feet tucked away, be embarrassed or justify their need for flip-flops!

OUCH !!!!

I guess it's perfectly ok to be mean.

Cmon-

Lighten up...

The table cloths cover up everyones feet. Your feet are under the table. There's round tables in the open and rectangle tables in booths. Women have pretty feet anyways. Men wear long pants, so they generally wear casual shoes. I saw one young lady with a nice capri outfit, but with pink VANS tennis shoes. The girl was pretty, with the nice outfit, so you didn't really notice the pink VANS.

lol

When you drink the cold iced tea, with the A/C going, it makes u really cold, so wear long sleeves.

"Dress in the Dining room" is a volital topic.

Purchaing flip-flops from nordstom, or purchasing $500 denim, $200 tennis shoes, etc., does not qualify these items as proper dining room attire.

People will wear what they want, and do.

But if the vast majority of folks are not wearing these items of clothing to dinner in the dining room, then clearly they are not considered proper dining room attire.

For Formal night, the attire a person should wear is very clear... "Formal".

Why is it that these boards bring out the meanness in people. It is like people think they can criticize others becuz no one will ever know who they are. Why can't we all just be nice to one another.

Thank you Blue,

It's easy to sit inside your house or office and be mean incognito. I dare say those "meanies" wouldn't be that bold in a face to face situation.

Thank you Blue,

It's easy to sit inside your house or office and be mean incognito. I dare say those "meanies" wouldn't be that bold in a face to face situation.

These boards are not anonymous for many of us... I, as many others, have met hundreds of members from these boards... and I will only cruise on group cruises so will continue to meet others from this board... Everyone that knows me knows that I am just as open and honest in person as I am on this board. We all have opinions... People also need to remember that this is a message board, without the benefit of tone, people tend to read things the wrong way and think people are being intentionally mean, which in most cases is not the case at all...

The poor dears.

My apologies GC, but the above post is sarcasm at it's best. Regardless of the lack of tone and inflection the words came across very well. I don't think I missed the point.

IMHO being mean is not acceptable.

Archived