Are flip flops frowned on in dining room, not formal nite?

lilmsonry

[quote name=BigMember

But if the vast majority of folks are not wearing these items of clothing to dinner in the dining room, then clearly they are not considered proper dining room attire.

[/quote]

Men in Tux's stand out and are not worn by the mojority - so these must be a no-go also, huh?

My Wife often wears leather flip-flops with a nice dress and looks fantastic. Her outfit fits right in with me (and our boys) in dockers/pollo shirts. Just fine for non-formal nights.

All four of us dress 'formal' for formal nights.

Who cares what you are wearing on your feet? You paid big bucks to go on this vacation so wear whatever you want!! Lets stop being so concerned with what people look like on the outside. Instead lets look beyond the material things and see if the people wearing flip flops are thoughtful and caring human beings. Someone can have on $500 shoes and be a lousy human being. I could care less what people wear as I am more concerned with how the people I meet treat people and how they live their lives. There are so many more important things in life to worry about than whether or not your dinner partner has on flip flops. If one spends their whole vacation looking at what people are wearing rather than having a good time what kind of vacation is that? Maureen

The people responding to the OP question care. That is why they are taking the time to provide their opinions.

Just because you are spending big bucks doesn't mean you should dress inappropriately. Carnival asks you to dress a fairly specific way, so why not abide by their request... they are the Host, you know.

Carnival only asks that you wear proper diner attire... wear something decent. You’re out in public, eating at a nice restaurant, with folks who dress up nice.

Don’t be a pig… just because you can.

Who cares what you are wearing on your feet? You paid big bucks to go on this vacation so wear whatever you want!! Lets stop being so concerned with what people look like on the outside. Instead lets look beyond the material things and see if the people wearing flip flops are thoughtful and caring human beings. Someone can have on $500 shoes and be a lousy human being. I could care less what people wear as I am more concerned with how the people I meet treat people and how they live their lives. There are so many more important things in life to worry about than whether or not your dinner partner has on flip flops. If one spends their whole vacation looking at what people are wearing rather than having a good time what kind of vacation is that? Maureen

Maureen - You Go Girl. My sentiments exactly. :D

I don't believe for one moment that you would appreciate all the folks at your table only wearing t-shirts, jeans, and flip-flops every night and every meal of your cruise. What is next? Allowing every expletive to come out of your mouth any time you want because you paid a lot of money for your trip?

And I don't believe you would put up with a good human being (definition please ???), or care how nice they were if they smelled from lack of hygiene.

Big member is not far off the mark at all. Carnival is very kind to be fairly explicit on what they would like you to wear. Why is that so hard?

And there is nothing wrong with staying on topic with the original poster's question. If you are tired of the responses and opinions, don't read this thread. But don't respond as though you have the last word, and as though your word is correct. Clearly, your word is not correct, or there wouldn't be so many opinions on this subject. Feel free to share your opinion. But don't knock others that share theirs.

Oh gosh, I just have to put in my two cents here. Enjoy your vacation, people, and quit worrying about what you and others are wearing! Follow the stated guidelines (no jeans or whatever it says) and just go from there. It doesn't say "no flip flops", so I would venture to say that it is not "against the rules" to wear appropriate flip flops. By appropriate, I mean just as you would choose your outfit for the night, you're not going to choose items that are stained or incredibly old or incredibly cheap-looking (i.e., $1.99 bargain bin flip-flops or t-shirt). Sure, the dress code isn't very specific regarding what types of shoes are appropriate, but come on, people, use good judgment! My 70-year-old grandmother would not be caught dead in a pair of flip-flops anywhere in public, but that doesn't mean she would look down on me for doing it (or even think it was inappropriate). Just pick what you're comfortable in as long as it falls within the guidelines. End of story...why is this so hard??

lasifguvui5uh, Funny! LOL! I've never heard a silent flip-flop... hence the name.

Mostly, this thread is just general discussion regarding flip-flops, and an occational turn toward Carnival's request to dress appropriately for dinner.

The gist is, if you gussy up a pair of flip-flops (twist ties, ribbons, beads), or purchase them from Norstrom, is it then alright to wear them to diner in the dining room? Oh.... and how goash to wear flip-flops purchased from Kmart or Target... even the gussied up kind.

But you are the first to remind everyone that flip-flops sound like you are wearing SCUBA diving fins.

to Venture Man! This a typical male response If you are a male! I think way too much is made of what people look like rather what kind of person they are. It annoys me personally that some people have become so judgemental based on what people look like and how they dress. I deal with a lot of people in my everyday job and I see how people are misjudged by what they look like and how much money they make. It saddens me to think that we are teaching our children to also be like this. With all the war, tragedies and human strife that is happening in today's world, it is time people stop being so petty and start thinking about how we as human beings can help those who are in need right now. I am not going to respond any further about flip flops as right now with the tragedy in the south there are more important things to focus my attention on but it still doesn't change my opinion (which I am entitled to!) that one should not be judged by the way he/she looks! Maureen

Wow! Maureen, you sure do read a lot into a simple question.

It is the Host, Carnival, that is asking you to dress properly in the dining room. By not dressing the way they ask that you do is nothing more than thumbing your nose at them and everyone else that expects you to dress appropriately in the Dining room or any other event that requires specific dress.

Asking folks to dress appropriately is not an affront to human kind. On the contrary, it is quite the norm for humans to dress specific to an occasion. Every culture has what they consider to be "nice dress".

Let me try to make it simpler for you. I'll even number them.

Carnival states, in answer to the question, "Is there a dress code for the dining room?"

1) Formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room.

2) The dress requirement for children is the same.

3) For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly.

4) Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit.

5) Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit.

And while #5 above is very clear, they go the extra yard and point out in #6 the obvious:

6) NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

How dare Carnival attack mankind by telling them how to dress! :rolleyes:

Received an email from my PVP this weekend that a part says:

"Casual Resort Wear, including: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit and Capri pants are acceptable in the Dining Room every other night. Please note that shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner."

If CCL were that worried about footwear I personally (note, IMO) think they would have stipulated that like many upscale restaurants that post "no tennis/gym shoes".

Having had a recent foot injury and surgery I have not been able to wear any kind of fitted shoe on my right foot, casual and dressy flip-flop/thong shoes have been my lifesavers. I wouldn't wear the rubber ones IMO, but dressy ones I would. Being a female and a shoe lover I naturally look at feet because I love to spot cute footwear...

Maybe Carnival should employee Fashion Police and post them at the dining room doors? Talk about the offenders there huh? Forget the shoes!...and that was a joke, it's called humor, lol......for those that can't resist...flame away....oh boy, sorry...I should have let this thread die...forgive me all

Archived