Are flip flops frowned on in dining room, not formal nite?

lilmsonry

I was raised with the the idea that flip flops were for the beach or the pool.

Now that doesn't mean I actaully practice the rule mind you. But personally I would not wear flip flops in the dining room.

- oh yeah this is Bebop (not the hubby)

I'm a flip flop loving fool. Just bought a new pair today. I wear them all the time. I would and have worn them in the dining room with sun dresses, casual skirts, and such. I would not wear them to formal night. We Californian's are a casual bunch of people.

If you are wearing a skirt/sleeveless top, is it OK to wear flip flops in the dining room? Please, don't confuse with formal nite, only dining room. I would wear it to a resort and to me is considered casual wear. Thanks!:)

Oh, my ... I don't know if this thread will go the way of the countless "what do I wear?" threads or the "aren't flip flops actually thongs?" threads!

::grins:: I'm sure that dressier flip flops/thongs with the beading and sequins (don't they scratch, and should you use Magic Powder to prevent your hair from getting tangled?) are acceptable, but try to steer clear of the Dollar Store ones that have seen better days.

:D

Have a wonderful cruise!

I didn't intend to, but my feet were swollen just enough that my dress shoes wouldn't fit. I was really self-conscious about it at first, but then noticed that nobody was actually LOOKING at my feet, LOL. Plus, my theory is, if some chicks wore them to the White House, they're fine with a nice outfit for dinner on a cruise, LOL. I say it's fine.

I didn't intend to, but my feet were swollen just enough that my dress shoes wouldn't fit. I was really self-conscious about it at first, but then noticed that nobody was actually LOOKING at my feet, LOL. Plus, my theory is, if some chicks wore them to the White House, they're fine with a nice outfit for dinner on a cruise, LOL. I say it's fine.

Just don't blow out that Flip Flop Mama

With all the fussing about jeans and shorts in the dining room, I can't believe that anyone would think it would be ok to wear flip flops in the dining room ever. They are shower/beach/pool shoes. I don't care if they have platforms or sparkles on them, they are gross.

I think it would be okay for casual nights, as long as they were "dressy" flip-flops (beaded, etc) and not cheap, beachy ones. Also, what you're wearing makes a difference in how dressed-up your shoes will look - if you're wearing a cute skirt and top, that would make them look nicer than if you just had on khakis and a polo.

I know a lot of people will disagree, but flip-flops are very trendy and "in" right now, and there are a lot of nicer designs out there. Not just your everyday beach thongs anymore! :D

I injured my instep (freak accident) on our last cruise on the second day, and it was excruciatingly painful to wear the casual shoes I had brought along. I literally had to walk from my stateroom to whereever I was going barefoot, holding my shoes in my hands, then I would put them on and hobble through the buffet line, or to our table in the dining room, etc. I bought some "sparkly" flip flops in Costa Maya and ended up wearing them for the duration of the cruise. I was very embarrassed to wear them to dinner, but it was that or go barefoot! No one seemed to notice them, and it was no big deal. I wouldn't PLAN to wear flip flops to dinner, but if you do, I doubt anyone will notice or care (as the other poster said, as long as they are nice ones, not worn-out beach shoes). Those flip flops I bought in Costa Maya gave me HORRIBLE blisters on my big toes, by the way - it was just NOT a good cruise for my poor feet!

I was wondering more about regular leather type sandals. I like flip flops enough, but I don't want to wear dress or tennis shoes every time. Anybody got an opinion on the leather kind of sandals?

I think those would be asolutely fine, I plan on wearing leather sandals most casual nights on my cruise.

I would be totally embarrassed should I or someone I know show up in flip flops for dinner (unless its on the Lido deck), regardless if its formal night or not in the dinning room,

Question to ask yourself.. Would I wear flip flops to a nice restaurant?

I am just needing some clarification... are "flip flops" the backless shoes that make the flip flop sound when walking, or the thong between the toes, or both?

I have a very dressy strappy shoe that flip flops when I walk... I am planning on wearing for dinners, non formal.

My answer to Would I wear flip flops to a nice restaurant? Yes! I would wear mine. (Which by the way have a strap between the toe...) These are not beach, pool side shoes. And I think that is what the OP is asking about.

Just my 2 cents...

Happy Sailing!

txaginwf

Absolutely, I would wear those

I believe those are considered dressy sandals, they are appropriate for dinner even formal night, I live in Florida and yes we wear dressy sandals at fine restaurants, I have eaten at the breakers several times and they are worn by the majority of women.

Just returned from the Miracle. I saw lots of flip flops in the dining room (not formal night). Some worked with the outfits and some did not. The first night in the dining room, there was an announcement of what was not allowed to be worn and there was no mention about shoes, sandals or flip flops, only jeans and shorts. Still people showed up in jeans and shorts. There were a few people who did not come close to dressing "formal" for formal night and they were allowed in the dining room. I figured if they allowed them into the diing room, Carnival must be OK with it. It didn't bother me but I must say it was noticable. I wasn't going to let it ruin my vacation. There were much more pleasant things to think about!

Also, there were several men who wore dressy leather sandals. After my DH saw that the first night, he decided to wear them a few times as well. At first I tried to change his mind but the "look" worked for him.

I agree with MC's Mom. The flip flops I own are not something I would wear in the shower. I don't own those rubber flip flops. My flip flops are nice ones. I intend to wear them on my next cruise with my summer dresses and skirts. In California everyone does. I even wear them to Church.

Oh, my ... I don't know if this thread will go the way of the countless "what do I wear?" threads or the "aren't flip flops actually thongs?" threads!

::grins:: I'm sure that dressier flip flops/thongs with the beading and sequins (don't they scratch, and should you use Magic Powder to prevent your hair from getting tangled?) are acceptable, but try to steer clear of the Dollar Store ones that have seen better days.

Have a wonderful cruise!

hahahaha

Just my opinion...

The cheap $3 Old Navy kind? Not appropriate.

Nice flip flops? Those are okay. I didn't want to wear heels with my dress (floor length halter dress) on formal night so I went and got a pair of beaded flip flops at Nordstrom. Comfortable, but not overly casual.

Have a wonderful cruise!

OH MY!!!!!:eek:

Archived