Are flip flops frowned on in dining room, not formal nite?

lilmsonry

I was on the Triumph this summer and I wore beaded flip flops on casual nights. Lots of women had nice flip flops on. I think the nice flip flops looked a lot better than the sneakers some people were wearing. LOL!!!!:)

Gabsabunch: You are rude! I believe more people would say flip-flops are NOT gross as you said my style was! Flip flops are very stylish right now, or maybe, you don't know style! Back 2 ya
Sorry you feel that way! I still feel that they are inappropriate for the dinner dining room on a cruise ship. Just because something is 'stylish' right not does not mean you should wear it to a formal or even resort casual dining room. My workplace is business casual and I would never ever consider wearing flip flops to work, even with my jeans on fridays.

I was on the Triumph this summer and I wore beaded flip flops on casual nights. Lots of women had nice flip flops on. I think the nice flip flops looked a lot better than the sneakers some people were wearing. LOL!!!!:)
Agreed that sneakers don't belong in the dining room either.

Agreed that sneakers don't belong in the dining room either.

I agree totally, Sandals are much more appropriate to wear then a pair of sneakers, You might think flip-flops and sandals are for the beach or pool, well sneakers are for the basketball courts and walking at disney world.

You know what, folks are going to wear what they want to wear. Sure the dress code doesn't say 'no flip flops (or jeans) or whatever'. Saying that some flip flops are nicer than others is the same as saying some nice jeans are better than others. Its all a matter of opinion. :rolleyes:

As a matter of health and safety issue shoes should be worn in areas of food service....doesn't matter what type foot covering it is. After all what are shoes? Protection for the bottom of your feet. Wear your nice flip flops ladies...those of us living in the beachier areas of the world understand just how nice those are and we get wear them year round (well, 50 weeks of the year instead of 52).

I for one work in a "corporate" environment and when it's casual Friday out come the capris, the jeans, the dockers and yes the nicer flip flops....even the CEO and President of the company have been known to show up in their flip flops too.

Guilty...but by necessity only.

I don't think flip flops are appropriate for the dining room (JMO) but on my Holiday cruise 3 years ago, I had an immune system issue which caused me to swell like the "Violet' in the Willy Wonka movie. I couldn't fit into any of my gorgeous shoes (and I had packed quite a lot) on my feet. So, on one formal night (it was 4 day cruise) I had on flip flops...yes they were dressy ones (black velvet with rhinestones) but they were still flip flops and I felt horribly uncomfortable....bad enough to be swollen but to feel 'underdressed' was the pits for sure.

I don't think I would have felt underdressed in black velvet flip flops with rhinestones - I'm sure they looked great. While shopping last night I noticed "flip flops" that cost over $100 at Dillards - they looked much fancier than any dress shoes I own, actually.

I don't think I would have felt underdressed in black velvet flip flops with rhinestones - I'm sure they looked great. While shopping last night I noticed "flip flops" that cost over $100 at Dillards - they looked much fancier than any dress shoes I own, actually.

I know it's just my opinion but I don't feel dressed in a flat show...not that I run around in 4 inch spikes...but flat shoes just don't cut it for me as dressy...women walk different in a flat shoe....it just doesn't come across as anywhere near formal.

One thing that really bothers me is seeing a bride in a zillion dollar gown with flat shoes or WORSE yet ballerina slippers or sneakers....

it just doesn't work to pull off the formal look.

I think if you wear matching socks (same color), you should be OK any night especially during the summer months. A solid black pair with a some nice black (stretch type) socks could easily complement most any suit or tux. But you need the socks, and make sure they are clean and there are no holes!

If you are wearing a skirt/sleeveless top, is it OK to wear flip flops in the dining room? Please, don't confuse with formal nite, only dining room. I would wear it to a resort and to me is considered casual wear. Thanks!:)

Please people!! If you are comfortable, clean, and the shoes fit--wear them. It's your vacation and I'm sure you paid as much for Your Vacation as everyone else so quit worrying what other people think. Anyone that is concerned about what shoes other people are wearing has way way too much time on their hands. Enjoy your cruise.

My two cents....People see what you are wearing or not for about the 30 seconds it takes to walk in the door on the dining room to your table. And of course, that is only about 1/4 of the total passengers on the boat and then only the amount that actually see you or care as you are walking by their particular table. Not one person at my table ever got up once during any of the formal dinners and with the table and table cloths, all I could see were their smiles and what shirt they were wearing. All jeans, shorts, flip flops etc. were out of sight (if they had existed).

The dining room is not a fashion show, but a place to eat. Follow the posted rules for dress code and then just relax and not worry about everyone else. I would much rather enjoy the food, service, company and wine and hope that I don't have any obnoxious adults or loud kids as my dining companions, than stress about someone who might wearing flip flops on the other side of the dining room or they might be planning to wear jeans at a later seating.

By the way, the waiters danced and sang, wore costumes and disco lights flashed during dinners. Guests were asked to get up and do the Macarena one night. Hardly the most formal environment I have ever been in.

Please people!! If you are comfortable, clean, and the shoes fit--wear them. It's your vacation and I'm sure you paid as much for Your Vacation as everyone else so quit worrying what other people think. Anyone that is concerned about what shoes other people are wearing has way way too much time on their hands. Enjoy your cruise.

My sentiments exactly. I would be very surprised if Carnival prohibited anyone from going to the dining room regardless of their attire with maybe the exception of a bathing suit. But I think in general they want their guests to cruise with them again so they are quite willing to overlook shorts, jeans and yes even flip flops ;) to make sure they are happy guests. Afterall, if everybody dressed the way they are supposed to most people wouldn't have anything to talk about over dinner.

Next cruise we are even considering going NCL because of their freestyle cruising. I bet once this concept really takes off, many more cruise lines will follow suit. Afterall, packing would be much easier and who really wants to get all gussied up on vacation. I kind of enjoy it because we live in a rural area where there is NO nightlife. But hubby hates it and the older I get the more I think I could forego all the fancy smancy for several pairs of shorts, a couple of bathing suits and a few unmentionables. I love to cruise, but I hate all that packing. Cutting out the dress clothes and formal wear would sure would simplify things.

I would be very surprised if Carnival prohibited anyone from going to the dining room regardless of their attire with maybe the exception of a bathing suit. But I think in general they want their guests to cruise with them again so they are quite willing to overlook shorts, jeans and yes even flip flops ;) to make sure they are happy guests.

That is very, very true. Carnival in no way enforces their dress suggestions

Next cruise we are even considering going NCL because of their freestyle cruising. I bet once this concept really takes off, many more cruise lines will follow suit. .

This I disagree with...I think what makes NCL what it is just may be the difference it has over other lines. It is perfectly tailored for the more casual, non traditional cruiser. Other lines most likely will not follow suit. Celebrity (I've heard) now is actually enforcing it's formal/informal nights.

When you get your cruise docs from them they state that the dress is a requirement and people who don't follow the requirement will be turned away (like I said, this is what I've heard from their boards)...and I truly believe that Carnival will always be the line who makes a request for things but turns a blind eye when the request isn't met.....that's probably how it will stay.

I think if you wear matching socks (same color), you should be OK any night especially during the summer months. A solid black pair with a some nice black (stretch type) socks could easily complement most any suit or tux. But you need the socks, and make sure they are clean and there are no holes!

Socks and Sandels ......... Now that's a scary thought. That should never happen.

Socks and Sandels ......... Now that's a scary thought. That should never happen.

I just felt a shudder run up my back! :eek:

I think it depends on your definition of flip flops. Call me an old fogey, but sandals would be more appropriate. Some of what they call flip flops today really are quite cute, but it doesn't matter how you dress them up, they aren't the same. Whatever you wear, I'm going to be enjoying my dinner! ;)

With all the fussing about jeans and shorts in the dining room, I can't believe that anyone would think it would be ok to wear flip flops in the dining room ever. They are shower/beach/pool shoes. I don't care if they have platforms or sparkles on them, they are gross.

I think that its pretty clear from this that you have no fashion sense Gabsabunch! so you think platform style flip flops are for the beach/pool? God bless all our ankles!!

The conclusion seems to be from everyone - dressy sandals (flip flop style) are prefectly exceptable / Rubber beach thongs are not!

I think that its pretty clear from this that you have no fashion sense Gabsabunch! so you think platform style flip flops are for the beach/pool? God bless all our ankles!!

The conclusion seems to be from everyone - dressy sandals (flip flop style) are prefectly exceptable / Rubber beach thongs are not!

Samsara, I don't wear flip flops at all. I hate having that thingie between my toes. Now I have seen some high heel sandals that have just the strap between the toes, and those are nice, but I think rubber soled flip flops are not dinnerwear. So if that means my fashion sense is bad, then I guess so, whatever.

Samsara, I don't wear flip flops at all. I hate having that thingie between my toes. Now I have seen some high heel sandals that have just the strap between the toes, and those are nice, but I think rubber soled flip flops are not dinnerwear. So if that means my fashion sense is bad, then I guess so, whatever.

If you reread my post I said rubber flip flops are a no-no! Originally you never distingished between the 2. Thats what the confusion on this thread is.

Reading this thread is so entertaining. :) I think alot of the feelings depend on their locale. Here in San Deigo it's perfectly acceptable to wear flip flops. In New York and that vicinity they'd fall over dead at the thought.

Reading this thread is so entertaining. :) I think alot of the feelings depend on their locale. Here in San Deigo it's perfectly acceptable to wear flip flops. In New York and that vicinity they'd fall over dead at the thought.

Not necessarily. Many, MANY professional women working for large corporations wear halter tops, flimsy skirts and flip-flops to work in the summer in NYC. Not many attorneys, perhaps, or investment bankers, but dang near everyone else, it seems.

It's not my idea of appropriate work attire, but hey, I don't sign their paycheck, so as long as they have sexy feet and a nice pedicure, it's all good as far as I'm concerned...

Archived