Help me, fashion geniuses!

Lots of the dressy dresses I've been looking at are sleeveless, one way or another. Some come with shawls. Here's my question... I simply won't wear sleevess anything (doesn't matter why, I just won't) and I'm wondering if there's a way to tailor the shawl by sewing it in places to make it sort of non-detachable and keep the upper arms covered? I'm seeing so many cute dresses and it's driving me crazy that I can't wear them.

Thanks!

Going to Alaska in August on Radiance of the Seas!

I think the latest way to wear a shawl or scarf is to drape it over your upper arms, then pull it under your arms and tie it in the back. It stays in place and becomes part of your dress. good luck!

You could look for something called a shrug. It's a shawl type thing that's more like a very short jacket that covers the shoulders and upper arms. Most shrugs don't cover the chest area, but stop about 4 inches from the underarms and go less than 1/4 of the way dowon the back. They come in a lot of colors and fabrics. You might try looking on E-bay to see if anyone has them for sale.

Darcie

ASM and Kitty

both have nice ideas. As a seamstress, I would not want to take any seams apart icon_eek.gif to sew in a shawl-type piece. I don't think it would look right. Again, I really like the above two posts! icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;04;02;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

OUR NEXT ONWARD JOURNEY!

If you can't find a shrug, then look for a bolero jacket (as in the jackets bullfighters wear), because they are open in the front and short, also.

I wear a swing jacket, which is open in front, but long (covers my fluffy rear end... icon_biggrin.gif), and I like it with my dressy stuff if they are black.

I always get my dressy stuff with sleeves, and if you wear a size 14 or above, Dress Barn Woman has a really good selection right now. They are having a summer sale, and had lots of dressy outfits; none sleeveless.

If you're the opposite with thin upper arms, then the jacket ideas above would work best.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

Archived