12 Day Spirit Mediterranean Cruise Review (September 2014)

tmackel

Is this a cruise that you would consider taking a 13 year old on or would they get bored/tired? I suppose it's depends on the child but was wondering you're thoughts.

Just completed this cruise, May 7 to 19, 2015. It can be a very busy cruise, ours was, we booked tours with RIL and we were overwhelmed with the History and art we saw. It would greatly depend on the child, on the ship they have a parent free zone, a sort of room in the front of the ship, i only saw it from the outside on our walks and noticed one kid in it reading. I only notices a couple teenagers on the ship, but it was due to the time of year, there are video games on board, but it might get expensive as they are a couple Euros to play.

They have a pool on the back of the ship but this is for little kids. I think they are bringing in another ship to make this run, I believe it is the Epic, this ship might have better suited for teens.

• 2 weeks later...

"After the Gondola ride we stopped at a glass shop and bought some more souvenirs, we also had a delicious meal of brochette, lobster tail and pasta along with the local beer and wine."

Tmackel, best trip review and pictures I have ever read and seen! You did a great job of portraying this cruise. Thank-you for sharing.

Your pictures are awesome. What camera did you use?

We should know as we did this cruise in August of 2013. We liked this cruise so much we decided to go again in August 2015! We can't wait. We feel a once in a lifetime event which we are doing again.

The only disappointment we had was dining in Venice. We had two evenings out and were not excited about either restaurant. Do you happen to remember the name of the restaurant in Venice you liked? We would like to check it out on our upcoming trip.

Thank-you

John & Victoria:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for your review. Yesterday was my b-day and was very much surprised with a card telling me to call our TA and book a cruise to Europe. We were in Europe 2 years ago did 7 countries but haven't been to the Med. I was getting a little nervous not sure even if I wanted to try another Europe cruise. I loved our other one so much I was afraid I would be disappointed. I found this review late last night and had to wait until today to read it. Now I am excited you really brought it to life for me. Thanks again . Jo:):)

We are home it was fantastic 16days I only wish we could have done a back to back. Your review helped alot. Had all our private tours booked,8 people vans great better price do not like the big buses. Met some nice people great weather,really good tours. We had a great guide in the Vatican would use a guide again if we went back.

• 1 month later...

Absolutely the best review I have ever read on CC. Your descriptions were so personable and the excellent photos made me feel like being there. Such a treat to read and I know will be a big help to us when we take the reverse of this cruise (Venice to Barcelona), 18 - 30 Sep 2016.

Our first trip to Europe so we're pulling out all the stops! After saving money and frequent flier miles for years, we finally have enough to make our dream "bucket list" trip a reality. Fly to Rome, spend 2 nights there, then train to Venice for 3 nights, board the Spirit for 12 fabulous days, then one night in Barcelona before flying home.

Looks to me like mid-late September weather was just about perfect in the Mediterranean for your cruise. I was considering changing our cruise dates to 30 Sep - 12 Oct but worried weather might be wetter and colder. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Weather in Oct will be great.

Your going to have a AWESOME time! Enjoy every minute of it, because the time goes by way to fast.

Oh, one more thing, have FUN!

Hi I have been reading your review from your cruise and can't wait for my cruise September 18, you gave such a great review I felt I was traveling with you.

I booked the same hotel.

Did you need avisa on any of the countries you visitex.

Thanks

Margie

Hi,

I booked a cruise with 2 friends on norwegian spirit sept 30th to oct 12th, and we received a promotion for the two first guest «Ultimate brevage package» and I wanted to know if we are obliged to buy the package ($55/day) for the third guest or if Norwegian let us have only 2/3 guest with the package in the cabin ?

thank you!

Hi I have been reading your review from your cruise and can't wait for my cruise September 18, you gave such a great review I felt I was traveling with you.

I booked the same hotel.

Did you need avisa on any of the countries you visitex.

Thanks

Margie

No you do not need any visa's on this trip. Have a great time!

Edited by tmackel

Hi,

I booked a cruise with 2 friends on norwegian spirit sept 30th to oct 12th, and we received a promotion for the two first guest «Ultimate brevage package» and I wanted to know if we are obliged to buy the package ($55/day) for the third guest or if Norwegian let us have only 2/3 guest with the package in the cabin ?

thank you!

No, you don't have to buy it for the third person.

• 1 month later...
One year ago from today we started this wonderful cruise.

For all you lucky people that are going this weekend ENJOY!

Thank you so much for great review, gave lots of great information. I will be leaving to Barcelona on 9/16/15 staying at Acta Atrium Palace.

Really looking forward to this great trip.

Will post pics. But I'm sure you have most of them already

Thanks

Again, Margie

One year ago from today we started this wonderful cruise.

For all you lucky people that are going this weekend ENJOY!

Thank you so much for your amazingly detailed review! We are doing the same cruise one month from now and I think I'm even more excited now after travelling vicariously with you, very helpful tips too. Much gratitude from fellow Minnesotans, Vicki & Tim :-)

Thank you so much for your amazingly detailed review! We are doing the same cruise one month from now and I think I'm even more excited now after travelling vicariously with you, very helpful tips too. Much gratitude from fellow Minnesotans, Vicki & Tim :-)

Your going to have a great time, relax and enjoy it, the time goes by way to fast.

• 5 months later...
Your going to have a great time, relax and enjoy it, the time goes by way to fast.

It's now March, 2016 and we are still reading your review! We are going on the same cruise the end of May. Sadly they removed the ports in Turkey for the time being and replaced them with Dubrovnik, Croatia and Kotor, Monrenegro. I'm excited to be going to those ports though. I've been to Kusadasi/Ephesus, but was looking forward to Istanbul. Another time...

I want to thank you for the great review. If I understood correctly, you don't have to use the PM in Venice? I'm so excited now!!!

Your trip report was fantastic! My husband and I are doing this same tour in September of this year. I have a couple of questions for you.

1. How did you get your tours arranged with Rome in Limo? I have checked out our roll call, and it is not very active yet. How close to your cruise were you before you booked these tours with other people?

First you can set-up your tours through this website, it very easy. We started setting up all our tours in Feb. All of the tours I booked were filled by March using our roll call. The first website is for setting up your tours and for people to join your tour group.

https://www.romeinlimotoursharing.com/

2. I also am questioning how it works to use your cell phone internationally. Did you mainly try and use wifi?

We did not use our cell phones, we bought a international phone for $20 on-line and got a US and international phone number. We used our IPad when in port for email.

Great photos! I was wondering how you went about getting the cellphone? I'm from Canada and I've never seen disposable phones for 20$! Sounds like a great idea! :

Great pictures BTW! I am wondering how you went about getting the international phone. I'm from Canada and I've never seen a disposable phone for that price! Sounds like a great idea! Do you also know if it's possible to just get an international sim card of some sort if it's only something US citizens can purchase?

Edited by Elementstorm
Wrong quote

It's now March, 2016 and we are still reading your review! We are going on the same cruise the end of May. Sadly they removed the ports in Turkey for the time being and replaced them with Dubrovnik, Croatia and Kotor, Monrenegro. I'm excited to be going to those ports though. I've been to Kusadasi/Ephesus, but was looking forward to Istanbul. Another time...

I want to thank you for the great review. If I understood correctly, you don't have to use the PM in Venice? I'm so excited now!!!

The people mover is very easy to use, we used it to get to our hotel. Have a great time!

• 5 months later...

Have thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures. We did the "Grand Mediterranean" twice in 2013 and 2015 both times from Barcelona and both times in August. We just returned from "The Baltics" aboard the Norwegian Star. Wonderful trip! Was trying to book the Spirit again for next August 2017. Sadly Norwegian has discontinued "Grand Mediterranean" itinerary. Good times aboard the Spirit and that particular itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have thoroughly enjoyed your review and pictures. We did the "Grand Mediterranean" twice in 2013 and 2015 both times from Barcelona and both times in August. We just returned from "The Baltics" aboard the Norwegian Star. Wonderful trip! Was trying to book the Spirit again for next August 2017. Sadly Norwegian has discontinued "Grand Mediterranean" itinerary. Good times aboard the Spirit and that particular itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this true last year wanted to do a repeat next year sad to hear they discontinued it was best vacation ever.