Venice - luggage

Whitechapel girl

I read a few more articles on this issue, and a larger problem is how people drag the luggage and wheels up the marble steps and such, thus over time eroding and chipping away the edges and making them more dangerous, as they slowly disappear.

So the luggage is not only noisy, it is causing irreparable damage to steps, as well as walkways and streets.

The ban is said not to be levied upon the local residents, but even delivery workers will be required to have inflated wheels.

Also, the law hasn't yet been passed....

As an added interest, I have read somewhere that there is a movement within Venice residents to have the current Port moved to somewhere else, as the displacement of water by so many Cruise Liners using this popular Port, is causing damage to the surrounding areas. This port is almost in the centre of Venice. Having been there & witnessed extensive flooding caused by tidal factors alone, I have no doubt they have every reason to be concerned. The city is highly dependant on the Cruise industry. Magic City!!!

How are they going to enforce this? How will the average visitor to venice even know this law (when it comes in) exists? What about people who can't carry their cases such as elderly or disabled? :confused:

I would imagine their police will enforce this if/when it goes into effect and could require fines to be paid right away. For those who can't manage their luggage I am sure that there will be enterprising people that can be hired to transport luggage for a price. As to people knowing about it, I guess it's like countries that require a visa, either a travel agent will tell their customers about this or they will find out when they are researching the city; unfortunately like visas there are some how won't know before they arrive.

Please see article from London newspaper today. It seems you can't use luggage with wheels in Venice due to "noise pollution" as you will be fined £400!! More work for the luggage men with trolleys!!! That's one way of creating more jobs.[ATTACH]331769[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for sharing. We will be sailing out of Venice next year.

Saw the same story on the national news today but thanks for sharing...

Sad as it is, because of this, we will make sure we NEVER visit Venice. ;) :mad: :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

Sad as it is, because of this, we will make sure we NEVER visit Venice. ;) :mad: :rolleyes:

It's a city you must visit, just magical. It's a place I will go back to at every opportunity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You don't have to wheel luggage around Venice, stay at a hotel with a dock get a water taxi from the airport and you'll not have a problem.

We stayed at the Hilton Molino stucky pre cruise and never touched our luggage from the airport until it arrived in our cabin. It was taken from the boat into the hotel room both ways. The aliguna water bus stops there as well.

Venice is magical. I wouldn't miss it because of this :)

Edited by DebbieMacG

We also stayed at the Hilton and were transported by small boat to the hotel dock

Venice is a mystical experience that I would love to do again. It surpassed all pictures I've seen. It's indescribable.

Venice has a real dilemma depending on tourism yet experiencing as Rick Steves calls it "elegant decay".

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree with the others that Venice is magical. It should be on everyone's bucket list. I have visited three times and will visit again if the opportunity presents itself. Like any vacation anywhere, I'll just adapt to local conditions and work out the luggage issue. As any person who has traveled extensively knows, every destination has it's own challenges. In the case of Venice, I recommend to deal with them instead of crossing off a true jewel of a place from your list of places to visit.

Edited by fortinweb