Princess Beverage Package Question

cruiserziggy

Quick questions regarding the Princess prepaid alcoholic beverage packages. I am familair with other lines' policies (e.g. Celebrity,) but I am new to Princess. Are most drinks covered under the plan? The website says up to $10. Are there many drinks on board that exceed $10? (bottles of wine excluded, of course) Also, if you purchase something that is more than $10 do you pay only the difference of do you pay the entire cost? Thanks!

Quick questions regarding the Princess prepaid alcoholic beverage packages. I am familair with other lines' policies (e.g. Celebrity,) but I am new to Princess. Are most drinks covered under the plan? The website says up to $10. Are there many drinks on board that exceed $10? (bottles of wine excluded, of course) Also, if you purchase something that is more than $10 do you pay only the difference of do you pay the entire cost? Thanks!

I am almost positive that you cannot just pay the difference in cost. The drink has to be under $10.

All of the beers are going to be under $10. Most drinks will be under $10, even if made with a call liquor. But I'm sure there are some drinks that cost more. My recollection is that there are a number of wines by the glass for under $10, but some do cost more. The popular Vines bar has some wines under $10 and some that cost most.

I'm probably going to do the drink package on my upcoming cruise.

Yes, the vast majority of drinks are under $10 so they are included. On our last cruise the only drinks I saw that went over $10 were some champagnes and sparkling wines by the glass and a couple of reds offered at Vines. They also had some super expensive Scotches that probably cost more than $10 a glass. I believe you would have to pay the full price, not just the difference over $10, if you ordered one of these drinks, but I have never tested this personally.

If you want to buy a bottle of wine to share, you get 40% off (for bottles under $100). This is a good deal if you want to share it with someone who does not have the package, or if you want a wine that is not available by the glass.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

There is a thread where an enterprising CC member has created a spreadsheet with all the drinks available and allows people to determine whether the package is worth it for them. Sorry, I'm not sure how to to post link, but it's a fairly popular thread and it's entitled Princess Beverage Package Evaluator. That should answer any questions.

BTW, if you buy a drink over the $10 limit, you pay full price, not the difference. But the majority of beverages are below $10. It also includes sodas, waters & specialty coffees.

There is a thread where an enterprising CC member has created a spreadsheet with all the drinks available and allows people to determine whether the package is worth it for them. Sorry, I'm not sure how to to post link, but it's a fairly popular thread and it's entitled Princess Beverage Package Evaluator. That should answer any questions.

BTW, if you buy a drink over the $10 limit, you pay full price, not the difference. But the majority of beverages are below $10. It also includes sodas, waters & specialty coffees.

This may help your quest for a price list, to make your shopping list from, mind you these are single shot drinks, with the price as much as doubling with a double drink :D

It is PDF format!!

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebexc city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vanco

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

Edited by Donna’s Mom & Dad

In the past when I have ordered a drink the waiter/bartender always ask if I would like a double, will they still ask this if you are on the drinks package?

That is a good question. I'm thinking that would push the price over the $10 limit.

Is a double less expensive than two regular drinks?

Looking at a current bar list from the Explorers Lounge on the Emerald Princess, there was only one drink I found over $10.

Remy Martin xo $12

Other lounges may have a different menu.

On the Royal/Regal there is at least one Bellini that is more than $10. I do not believe there are any wines by the glass in the DR that are over $10 but as someone else posted, there are several wines over $10 a glass at Vines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We just returned from a getaway on the Golden Princess and they did not ask about doubles like the servers did on the Caribbean Princess two years ago. They are very strict about ordering one drink at a time per card. The last night I had a cocktail followed by a glass of wine with my entree and the server lumped them together on the form that they require you sign each and every time and asked me to sign the form. I did as asked and of course was charged for the two drinks which guest relations reversed the next morning. You can have as much as you wish but they are single pours and you do sign each time per card.

no its a std. cocktail Vodka and coke, like Gin tonic.... ( buy the way there is no such a drink as Gin and Tonic and the drink arose from the empire in India where quinine was made into a tonic with gin...."Gin tonic" Just like no decent Scott calls whiskey "scotch"....aye Jimmy )

The cruise lines love the cards because in the long run the make more profit for the cruise. They get an assured up front cash flow that is reliable

rather than an estimate of what they should be doing in booze sales. Few make a killing far more do not

They are NOT doing it out of the goodness of their heart trust me. They make far more on the packages than by the drink !!!

Most people except hard core drinkers after a few days get burned out slamming down drink after drink and the one shot/pour at a time is there to run out the clock on you because of the time factor and time to order.

I took a 34 day cruise and between my wife and I we averaged $45 a day... that's half of the package and that included wine and mixed doubles... Some days we drank and others maybe 1 or 2... . Getting the package would have cost us 60% more over all.... That's not what I call a savings !!!

yes, I had worked out we each would need to drink $50 a day to make the cost of package pay for us, plus coffee etc. in the 10days , we are on shore 6, and with embarking and debar king taking up 2of the other days, it's only 2days at sea, there is no way we would be able to do that. So we will pay it every few days and at the end. Good to know it's only one drink and not two when ordering our spirits too. Thanks. Ps, yes it's never scotch but whiskey. :D

Not sure if it was because we came friendly with a few bartenders but they were definitely offering us "doubles" if we wanted it. What's the difference to them if we drink one drink then come right back and get another. They record it as two drinks and a zero cost.

One thing I really liked was that there were 3 of us all with the sticker. When we ordered drinks, they put them all on one card with a total of zero. No need to run each card separately. Would love to not even have to sign the paper but small price to pay. (Pun intended) They say they need to run it through the computer for inventory.

I don't think I will every NOT use the program again. Our bar bill was about 60% of our previous cruises. Don't want to key in Princess (as they read these boards) but there were a bunch of us where they lost money last week! To each his own.

Our bar bill was about 60% of our previous cruises. Don't want to key in Princess (as they read these boards) but there were a bunch of us where they lost money last week!
They don't need to read these boards to know exactly how much money they made off you. You spent less than you would have if you had drunk the same amount paying drink by drink without the package, but I'm pretty sure Princess still made money by selling you the package. It's a win-win deal all around in the majority of cases. In some other cases, people overestimate how much they will be able to drink and they end up losing. I can't imagine that many people manage to drink enough for Princess to actually start losing money. You would have to drink like 3 liters of whisky a day, which would not be fun for very long.

They don't need to read these boards to know exactly how much money they made off you. You spent less than you would have if you had drunk the same amount paying drink by drink without the package, but I'm pretty sure Princess still made money by selling you the package. It's a win-win deal all around in the majority of cases. In some other cases, people overestimate how much they will be able to drink and they end up losing. I can't imagine that many people manage to drink enough for Princess to actually start losing money. You would have to drink like 3 liters of whisky a day, which would not be fun for very long.

Fine by me! If they keep it at $49 a day, I'll do it every time! We usually buy a bottle of wine at dinner. 40% off almost pays for one sticker right there! Everyone I spoke to who had the card called it a no brainer. They gave us a huge bottle of water each night on our way to bed. Did wonders to re-hydrate us. I love a win-win. :)

And can we stop with the folks who think we must be running around the ship compleletly loaded if we use this program. I must be really fat too since I get free gelato with the card as well. If you wouldn't get your monies worth that's fine, don't enroll. It was a no brainer for me and I can argue that I was never drunk the entire cruise.

I used the awesome excel spreadsheet that "kelly94942" created. Thanks Kelly!

Once I deducted the value of the soda sticker that I would have otherwise bought, and deducted the value of the coffee cards that I always buy and that we use up (we like specialty coffees after dinner every day plus I love iced specialty coffees in the mornings by the pool! ), there wasn't that much left to get through - we like a bottle or two of water with dinner- there are 4 of us in the family so two some nights is possible - a couple of drinks a day by the pool (not a port intensive cruise!), the value of the 40% off our bottles of wine with dinner (I calculated only the 40% savings in the package value), pre dinner cocktail, drinks on Princess Cays - even sodas as they are covered by the package, a bottle of water to take on shore to the beach (no need to lug a case of water on board), baileys in the coffee after dinner.... and yes I allocated the costs to two persons both buying the package...

We are pretty close to breaking even - the bonus being that we don't have to think "should I or shouldn't I". I'll try new drinks with the card. If I don't like them, so what? And this is NOT getting blasted drunk. The non alcoholic drinks do add up if we get what we want without restraint.

Now if it were a port intensive European cruise, no way. But a 7 day Caribbean with 2 ports that we've been to before where we'll go to the beach for a few hours then come back and sit by the pool, and Princess Cays? Maybe!

I have to ask a couple of stupid questions about the beverage package, so bear with me please. 1st, where are the various beverages available. Obviously the bars for alcoholic stuff, but what about bottled water, specialty coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and whatever else is included? 2nd, does this package cover the same coffees as the coffee card? Last but not least, does the 40% bottled wine discount apply to the specialty dining venues, Crown, Sabbaitini's and Crab Shack?

Thanks for any help.

I

1st, where are the various beverages available. Obviously the bars for alcoholic stuff, but what about bottled water, specialty coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and whatever else is included? 2nd, does this package cover the same coffees as the coffee card? Last but not least, does the 40% bottled wine discount apply to the specialty dining venues, Crown, Sabbaitini's and Crab Shack?

Thanks for any help.

Water - I think all bars and restaurants have bottled water, plus they have it downstairs when you are getting off the ship. We sometimes get carbonated spring water during dinner - I assume this is included as well.

Coffee - International cafe in the piazza and one of the pool bars have the espresso machines. Dining rooms also can serve specialty coffees. My understanding is that the coffees are the same as on the coffee card.

-OJ - dining rooms, and usually the pool bar has the orange juice machine.

-Wine - discount applies to all bottles under $100, everywhere on ship - so you would only pay 60% of the listed bottle price on top of the price of the drink program. (Crab shack is held in the Horizon court - it doesn't have its own location)

Hopefully my understanding is correct - we are debating buying the drink package on our next cruise!

Thanks for the inf. I just called and purchased the Inclusive Beverage Package for me and the coffee card for my wife. She only drinks a glass or 2 of wine and I can get the discount bottles to share, so that will work well. We sail Sunday for more than the 20th time.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how did you pre pay for the Inclusive beverage package before? I don't think we both want to pay for it either. Would rather deal with it upfront than the hassle on board with them telling you everyone in your room (Kids included) must purchase a drink package.

So, how did you pre pay for the Inclusive beverage package before? I don't think we both want to pay for it either. Would rather deal with it upfront than the hassle on board with them telling you everyone in your room (Kids included) must purchase a drink package.

Call Princess to pre-purchase.

Even on board, you can purchase it for just one person in the cabin. No requirement for anyone else in the cabin to also buy it.

Call Princess to pre-purchase.

Even on board, you can purchase it for just one person in the cabin. No requirement for anyone else in the cabin to also buy it.

Awesome! Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. I had misunderstood previously that EVERYONE in the same cabin had to purchase a drink package. Happy to hear you do not.