Ship Clock

looneyric

Hi, sailing Eastern Caribbean on Regal in January. We understand Princess adjusts their time to island time. When the ship's clock goes forward (and back) one hour, will my cellphone time adjust accordingly, realizing it will be in airplane mode? I use my phone as an alarm. Thank you.

If you have your cell phone in airplane mode its time will not update as you change time zones. If you use an iPhone, you can set the time manually while you're onboard so your alarm will sound at the correct time.

Lew

If you have your cell phone in airplane mode its time will not update as you change time zones. If you use an iPhone, you can set the time manually while you're onboard so your alarm will sound at the correct time.

Lew

Thank you Lew. I do have iPhone; didn't realize I could adjust time. Good tip.

Lew

That is what I thought because it airplane mode, the phone has no way of knowing where it is.

We just got off a Transatlantic cruise where time changes happened regularly. I always adjusted the time on my iPhone manually as it doesn't change when in airplane mode. Once back home, I set it back to automatic adjusting. Look under settings/general/date and time. Turn off the switch for setting automatically and you will be able to adjust the time manually.

Be aware that if you allow your phone to set its time via the ship's cell service, our experience has been that it does not always reflect ship's time.

This was the case with our most recent trip into the Caribbean on they Royal Princess. Our cell phones correctly reflected Atlantic Standard Time when we were in ports but not when the ship was at sea using its own cell service. At sea the phone always showed Eastern Standard Time regardless of the ship's time.

Hi, sailing Eastern Caribbean on Regal in January. We understand Princess adjusts their time to island time. When the ship's clock goes forward (and back) one hour, will my cellphone time adjust accordingly, realizing it will be in airplane mode? I use my phone as an alarm. Thank you.

The default setting on an iphone is "time zone support " ON and with this setting your phone should automatically change time to whatever time zone the phone is located, even on airplane mode. The phone continually receives a "time stamp" from GPS signals.

Remember though, "ship time" may not always be local time thus your phone may automatically change time and not always correspond to the "ship time" during your cruise. If your cruise will go through different time zones and the "ship time" remain constant you may want to turn your "time zone support" OFF to lessen confusion. If the ship's time changes, your phone will not know it though may coincidentally change to "ship time" if the ship changed due to entering a different time zone (when "time zone support" is ON.)

The default setting on an iphone is "time zone support " ON and with this setting your phone should automatically change time to whatever time zone the phone is located, even on airplane mode. The phone continually receives a "time stamp" from GPS signals.

Remember though, "ship time" may not always be local time thus your phone may automatically change time and not always correspond to the "ship time" during your cruise. If your cruise will go through different time zones and the "ship time" remain constant you may want to turn your "time zone support" OFF to lessen confusion. If the ship's time changes, your phone will not know it though may coincidentally change to "ship time" if the ship changed due to entering a different time zone (when "time zone support" is ON.)

This makes sense to me. When I was on land-based vacation in Ireland, my phone adjusted to local time under airplane mode. I guess it can still receive time information from cell towers in airplane mode. I was under the impression that the ship changed their "clock" to adjust for time zone and my cell would receive time from the ship, but i guess not based on comments here (I am still curious and will check this on ship and whether phone can receive time signal from ship). On other cruise lines we have been on in theCaribbean, the time on the ship never changed, so this was never a concern.

As some of you suggest, I will go into settings and take "time zone support" off and manually set the time; this way I will know it will be correct at all times. I know, I'm on vacation and I shouldn't be worried about the time, but I don't want to miss my excursions! Thanks everyone!!

My Rolex doesn't have alarm capabilities. Oh well, maybe I should invest in casio. Lol.

It's more fun to set the alarm on the phone. Hubs staggering around the stateroom to get to it after being startled awake is hilarious.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We always wear a watch set to ships time when cruising, and don't pay attention to cell phone time.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I always wear a watch too. If I need a wakeup call for an early port, I use breakfast room service delivery. Works great!

Sue