Thinking of booking RC

NOSaints1

We were on the Valor last week, it was a great cruise, great service, good food in the MDR but the thing that was lacking was choice for foods outside the MDR, my DW says the lack of things to do during the day if you weren't getting off the ship to do an excursion. Don't get me wrong I like Carnival but I feel like I'm just getting bored. Anybody else have those thoughts about switching?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Valor last week, it was a great cruise, great service, good food in the MDR but the thing that was lacking was choice for foods outside the MDR, my DW says the lack of things to do during the day if you weren't getting off the ship to do an excursion. Don't get me wrong I like Carnival but I feel like I'm just getting bored. Anybody else have those thoughts about switching?

As you can see from my signature we sail both Carnival & Royal equally. If I had to choose, based on what you listed above I give Royal the edge.

However we have only sailed on the larger ships which do have all the bells and whistles. We are trying one of the smaller Royal ship in January but we don't have any kids to entertain....;)

Were either thinking of Oasis or Anthem.

The Anthem is not coming until next year and the prices are INSANE :eek:

The Oasis and Allure are AMAZING. If you choose one of those, you will not be disappointed.

I see nothing wrong with trying new cruise lines. I would never, ever stick to ONE and will never understand why anyone does. :confused:

Edited by champagne123
xxx

We were on Oasis in May. There are many things to do on the ship that you can't get on Carnival. There's the zip line, the flow riders, pools, etc. The adults only area was great. I'm not flaming on Carnival, we like them, too, but we like the variety we get with other cruise lines.

The only thing that is stopping my DW from booking Anthem is the price. So did Oasis get rid of the MDR and just had Dynamic Dining?

Not at all. Oasis and Allure both still have the MDR, but they also have several options to choose from that are additional cost.

The only thing that is stopping my DW from booking Anthem is the price. So did Oasis get rid of the MDR and just had Dynamic Dining?

During the recent dry dock Oasis converted to dynamic dining. The Allure will convert to dynamic dining during its dry dock early next year.

I have been on three Carnival cruises and five RCI's. On RCI the level of things to do/venues to see varies greatly depending on size of ship. When sailing out of Baltimore, I found that Pride had more choices than RCI's Grandeur, a similar size. I get to try Carnival Freedom in two weeks. I have found that entertainment was always better on RCI. If I was 25 years younger, I might have a different opinion. I have sailed RCI Freedom and Explorer (very similar to Freedom). I really enjoyed the additional venues and choices; both were great ships. Dining choices on FOS would include the MDR, Windjammer/Lido, Sorrento's pizza, and a promenade cafe with sandwiches, snacks, and baked goods. I believe there are two paid restaurants. Reports are that the experience in RCI's steakhouse has declined, with a second add-on over the initial extra cost for better steaks. There is a Johnny Rocket's for a fee (that seems to rise every two years). The interior promenade is great for a first timer. The large stage allowed for good shows. The ice show is great for a first timer, also. The pool area is expansive. Many bars and lounges. Many venues have music. Though it isn't Oasis/Allure, it has a great wow factor for someone moving up from more limited ships. We really liked it.

We started to find that sailing the small RCI ships got boring, but Freedom should be a great experience.

We just sailed on the Breeze and it was our 1st Carnival cruise in 4 years. We jumped ship to RC and never looked back. (Oasis is still our favorite ship).

I talked my hubby into trying Breeze, great ship and itinerary. Well, we came home a bit disappointed. (I just posted a mini-review the other day with our experience.)

We decided we will go back to RC and unless Carnival makes some improvements where we are concerned, I'm not sure I will get hubby back on Carnival.

I say try it.....you have nothing to lose. It always helps to have something to compare. :)

I've sailed Carnival, NCL and RCI, they are pretty much the same on port days (activities) which is understandable, most people likely get off the ship. As for "lacking was choice for foods outside the MDR.," seriously, on Carnival. Carnival does as good or better with the multiple eateries outside the MDR. That blows me away. I have found that the other lines are good but the ship always plays a role. You will get a very different cruise on the Magic, Valor and the Imagination and it will vary with the RCI ship that you are on, Allure is different world from Vision of the Seas. The Valor is typical of the Conquest ships (good venue).

I must be in the minority here or something, but I've sailed the Allure of the seas (same as the Oasis), and carnival freedom... And I'd say the amount of activities weren't all that different. We actually liked our carnival cruise better, just for what we enjoy doing, and we are 31 years old, an active couple. MDR food with Allure we thought was worse. We hated allure's adult only area, it was indoors and steaming hot like being in a sauna. We really missed carnivals outdoor serenity area with the comfy chairs. This was a huge deal breaker for us. Drinks were weak, worse, and more expensive. Still not a whole lot going on during the day, except shopping, swimming and relaxing. They never played movies under the stars because they used that venue for a water a show. The rooms and balconies were smaller, balcony chairs much less comfortable.

However the allure lido buffet was much better, had lots of variety. Obviously the shows were fantastic and we saw those on 3 out of the 7 nights of the cruise, but no movies under the stars, so we just turned in early a few nights, there wasn't a whole lot going on as far as nightlife either. The cruise was in mid-June. Yes, The ship is "prettier." To us, the Allure was just kind of the same, with better decor, and a lot more people. I think it's worth trying, and you would be impressed with the buffet variety and the shows. But during the day there's not much extra to do...

Have you thought about a land vacation? Like going to the Atlantis? Disney/universal studios?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jetta8300

We tried our first RC cruise this year. Explorer of the Seas. We enjoyed ourselves, but to tell the truth we enjoyed the food better in the MDR on our Carnival cruises. We would give RC the edge on the buffet. I like the grill and deli on Carnival. The specialty restaurant on Explorer (it was an Italian restaurant) was one of the worst meals I ever had. It was actually inedible. I have experienced the Steak House twice on Carnival and both times it was excellent. That being said, I would still cruise RC again depending on the departure port and cost.

With the Oasis just coming out of dry dock the main dining rooms have been split into dining areas and are all based on Dynamic dining now.

Not at all. Oasis and Allure both still have the MDR, but they also have several options to choose from that are additional cost.

I must be in the minority here or something, but I've sailed the Allure of the seas (same as the Oasis), and carnival freedom... And I'd say the amount of activities weren't all that different. We actually liked our carnival cruise better, just for what we enjoy doing, and we are 31 years old, an active couple. MDR food with Allure we thought was worse. We hated allure's adult only area, it was indoors and steaming hot like being in a sauna. We really missed carnivals outdoor serenity area with the comfy chairs. This was a huge deal breaker for us. Drinks were weak, worse, and more expensive. Still not a whole lot going on during the day, except shopping, swimming and relaxing. They never played movies under the stars because they used that venue for a water a show. The rooms and balconies were smaller, balcony chairs much less comfortable.

However the allure lido buffet was much better, had lots of variety. Obviously the shows were fantastic and we saw those on 3 out of the 7 nights of the cruise, but no movies under the stars, so we just turned in early a few nights, there wasn't a whole lot going on as far as nightlife either. The cruise was in mid-June. Yes, The ship is "prettier." To us, the Allure was just kind of the same, with better decor, and a lot more people. I think it's worth trying, and you would be impressed with the buffet variety and the shows. But during the day there's not much extra to do...

Have you thought about a land vacation? Like going to the Atlantis? Disney/universal studios?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This was our opinion too, except we were happy with our drinks. :cool: We were bummed that there was no family friendly comedy and to see comedy at all, you had to have a reservation WAY ahead of time. We also didn't like all the extra charges...pay for popcorn at the movie? Seriously?

We did however like that there was a lot more karaoke for various ages and the main shows were excellent. Our kids were fine with the rock climbing but once you've done it...none of mine were all that into the Wave Rider or the zip line...which is another one and done experience. They did really like the teen clubs though.

I like Carnival and probably would've stuck with Carnival but the DW wanted more things to do, more food choices and entertainment, so I guess you have to do what the DW wants too.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time, and it definitely worth a try to see if those ships have any "more to do" for you even though we didn't think so! Like I said before, we thought there was actually less to do since there were so many people, and hardly any more activities. We had 7 nights on the allure, and you could book the 3 shows ahead of time (we never even could get in to see the comedien). And the nights we didn't have anything booked there wasn't anything more to do, since there were no movies. During the day we were not interested in the flow rider or rock wall, (huge wait) you got like 10 minutes on them. But we did the zip line.

Again we just spent the days relaxing just like on carnival. You will have a GREAT time, but just go in with the expectation that there isn't like TONS of things going on, so you won't be disappointed. Nothing is reAlly going on during the day.

The buffet was better with more variety. But it was so crowded we had to go on "off" times or we couldn't find a seat. It's a small room for like 5000 people. We ended up eating at the Park Cafe with limited choices most of the time to avoid the huge mobs coming in to eat.

FYI Labadee is a wonderful port these ships go to, and very much worth seeing.

Edited by jetta8300