BB Kings Blues Club

Yodalicious

BB King's show band you see on one ship is not the only one at sea. There are probably 300 members in "the band" who all play the same music the same way and are farmed out all over the company's ships as needed.

They can easily staff a BB King's Blues Band on 6+ ships.

We were on the Christmas Week Cruise last week on the Westerdam and really enjoyed their music in the Queen's Lounge. They also played a full concert in the main theatre. You are right about the makeup of these bands. You might see any combination of musicians on any of the HAL ships through the year. There are several videos on Youtube of the various bands, but here is one from the Westerdam on December 26th. Enjoy.

:)

I was really looking forward to hearing the BB King Blues Band on the Nieuw Amsterdam this month. They were immensely talented and put on a great show---what we saw of it. We had to leave because of the volume of the music. It actually hurt our ears. In fact, we left during the performance of one of my favourite songs. It hurt that much.

Why do the people in charge of such things think music has to be painfully loud to be enjoyable? So sad because we really hated to leave.

I was really looking forward to hearing the BB King Blues Band on the Nieuw Amsterdam this month. They were immensely talented and put on a great show---what we saw of it. We had to leave because of the volume of the music. It actually hurt our ears. In fact, we left during the performance of one of my favourite songs. It hurt that much.

Why do the people in charge of such things think music has to be painfully loud to be enjoyable? So sad because we really hated to leave.

Sorry to hear it was so loud. It was tolerable in November so it's too bad that they decided louder is better. Every company party we have the band is so loud it rocks the foundations. I'd love to stay later and talk to my colleagues but it's just too painful. I simply don't understand the attraction of ear splitting music.

Blues didn't use to be that loud (e.g., when BB King first started out) but the volume now rivals that of Rock bands. You can always be seated a few rows back but consider an ear plugs (inexpensive). I bring them whenever I go to a rock venue. The plugs should lower the volume by 20-30 decibels. But agreed - the volume should be moderated to not exceed 105 decibels (good suggestion to make on a HAL).

Blues didn't use to be that loud (e.g., when BB King first started out) but the volume now rivals that of Rock bands. You can always be seated a few rows back but consider an ear plugs (inexpensive). I bring them whenever I go to a rock venue. The plugs should lower the volume by 20-30 decibels. But agreed - the volume should be moderated to not exceed 105 decibels (good suggestion to make on a HAL).

Funny you said that about the earplugs - I had the same thought tonight looking at this thread. We have a box full left over from our son's nascar local track racing this season. I'll throw some in ... just in case. We enjoyed the energy and music selections of the BB King shows on our last HAL cruise.:D

We had them on our Noordam cruise in November. So loud they drowned out the male singer's voice. DH was disappointed it wasn't blues music per se but more current pop tunes jazzed up, so to speak.

For me the best part was some of the HAL dancers started dancing and put on quite a show. They even brought a couple of people from the audience to the floor to dance with (their dancing was like the DWTS freestyle dances). Very entertaining!

We had them on our Noordam cruise in November. So loud they drowned out the male singer's voice. DH was disappointed it wasn't blues music per se but more current pop tunes jazzed up, ... to !

The Westerdam BB King band on the Nov 28th sailing was the real deal (with two vocalists who were strong singers). Half the band was from Jackson, MS and the other half from Memphis, TN. Again, as good as any Blues Band on Beale Street. HAL needs to develop an appeal across many demographics to succeed (IMHO). I was impressed with HAL's strategy with BB King clubs since the band was a Hit with older and younger cruisers. I could care less about the DWTS emphasis or Foodie classes but they both seemed to be a big hit with old & young as well. And everyone loved shows with professional dancers.

We were on the Christmas Week Cruise last week on the Westerdam and really enjoyed their music in the Queen's Lounge. They also played a full concert in the main theatre. You are right about the makeup of these bands. You might see any combination of musicians on any of the HAL ships through the year. There are several videos on Youtube of the various bands, but here is one from the Westerdam on December 26th. Enjoy.

:)

They are wonderful! I hope they're on the Noordam in August!

Where does the group perform when they are not on the Eurodam's Main Stage? Hard to get a seat? Really looking forward to hearing them!

Mary

We just spent a couple of weeks on Eurodam and saw The BB King group most nights. They usually play twice each evening in the Queens Lounge. The Lounge was packed every night but if you get there prior to them starting, you should be able to get a seat.

The current group will be on board until the end of March. They were outstanding.

I've read through this thread and may have missed the answer to my question.

How long will a band stay on a ship?

The band started on Zuiderdam in December...will they still be on when we board March 6th?

My husband says no; I say yes. He's the blues fan.

Any idea?

I've read through this thread and may have missed the answer to my question.

How long will a band stay on a ship?

The band started on Zuiderdam in December...will they still be on when we board March 6th?

My husband says no; I say yes. He's the blues fan.

Any idea?

I would venture to guess YES, the BB King Group should still be aboard for your cruise March 6th (or a new group will be brought on). It is my understanding that their contracts are 4 months. When one group disembarks, a new BB King Group comes on board.

On Eurodam, the previous BB King Group came on board in early August and completed their contract disembarking on Nov. 30th. The current group came on board on Nov. 30th and their contract is up March 29th.