BB Kings Blues Club

Yodalicious

BB King's show band you see on one ship is not the only one at sea. There are probably 300 members in "the band" who all play the same music the same way and are farmed out all over the company's ships as needed.

They can easily staff a BB King's Blues Band on 6+ ships.

The HAL link is helpful to know when BB King Blues Band will begin a contract on a certain ship, but what it doesn't tell is how long those contracts last. It would be nice to know a beginning date and an end date. That has always bothered me, why they don't make it more clear on the HAL site.

We are just off the NA and we had The BB King Band on our sailing. They were all from Nashville. Back in March on the Noordam our BB King band was from Memphis. If you are lucky enough to have them on your sailing - go! They are fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I certainly understand that. But, will they be onboard for my Noordam cruises in January?

Yes, they should be. I agree that it would be nice if there were two dates on the HAL site, but as of now it's open-ended.

I certainly understand that. But, will they be onboard for my Noordam cruises in January?

How about an E-mail to Hal? Not sure I have seen a long range schedule any more than a Fleet Report from Hal.

Great band and some are better than others but they all are huge entertainment improvements to the Hal Fleet.

Yes, BB King Group is on board Eurodam. A new group boarded yesterday to begin a 4 month contract.

Well that is the best news I've heard in a while. I have always been dismayed by the lack of good entertainment on HAL ships and I am so looking forward to the BB King band. I'm very happy to hear they will be on the ship for my upcoming 12/14 cruise. :D

Just disembarked from the Westerdam ship and enjoyed hearing the BB King Blues Band on an Eastern Caribbean cruise for the last week. I've lived in Memphis and the ship's BB King band was the real deal - as professional a band I've heard on Beale Street. The HAL Cruise Director indicated that HAL has a "long-term" relationship with BB King who will provide experienced Blues bands to HAL ships (more coming each month). Some ships will need to be modified to have a Lounge large enough for these professional blues bands (e.g., older ships modified in a shipyard to accommodate this band). The Band performed at the main theater one night but typically just performed three shows per night at the Westerdam's Queen's lounge. Awesome!

Just disembarked from the Westerdam ship and enjoyed hearing the BB King Blues Band on an Eastern Caribbean cruise for the last week. I've lived in Memphis and the ship's BB King band was the real deal - as professional a band I've heard on Beale Street. The HAL Cruise Director indicated that HAL has a "long-term" relationship with BB King who will provide experienced Blues bands to HAL ships (more coming each month). Some ships will need to be modified to have a Lounge large enough for these professional blues bands (e.g., older ships modified in a shipyard to accommodate this band). The Band performed at the main theater one night but typically just performed three shows per night at the Westerdam's Queen's lounge. Awesome!

Thanks for this report, really looking forward to hearing these guys!

• 3 weeks later...
So will this be going fleet wide? Any news about the Amsterdam?:confused:

What venue do you think would be available for this on the Amsterdam? Or, which areas should be removed so this could replace it?

I don't see the Amsterdam, or similar S- & R-class ships, or the Prinsendam, as set up for BB King Blues Band.

What venue do you think would be available for this on the Amsterdam? Or, which areas should be removed so this could replace it?

I don't see the Amsterdam, or similar S- & R-class ships, or the Prinsendam, as set up for BB King Blues Band.

Have never said the Amsterdam "yet" but love blues..............was so hoping???:cool: We have sailed many smaller ships, as small as 18,000 tons. All of them had at least two areas where a band with large crowd could play.

That is why I do not understand.

Have never said the Amsterdam "yet" but love blues..............was so hoping???:cool: We have sailed many smaller ships, as small as 18,000 tons. All of them had at least two areas where a band with large crowd could play.

That is why I do not understand.

The BB King band on the Westerdam has six musicians and two lead singers. That ship had a large stage and many tables/ chairs with a large dance floor. I would imagine the cost of a quality band and popularity would only justify placing these bands on medium to larger sized HAL ships which has a large venue. We'll see...

The BB King band on the Westerdam has six musicians and two lead singers. That ship had a large stage and many tables/ chairs with a large dance floor. I would imagine the cost of a quality band and popularity would only justify placing these bands on medium to larger sized HAL ships which has a large venue. We'll see...

Exactly. The Vista and Signature ships have a secondary show lounge that is perfect for this purpose. The smaller ships don't have anything similar.