Comparison between US and UK fare's

ukkid

That's interesting Salacia. I followed your link and then followed their links through to the cruise, and balcony staterooms are showing as £599per person. I don't know if that means they haven't updated the prices on the pages where you book the cruise, or if so many people have booked that the prices have automatically gone up and they haven't update their news page. Wake up Cunard!

I am seeing £499 quoted on cunard.co.uk as the Cunard Fare on voyage Q502 for stateroom category CA - Balcony (partially obstructed view). Perhaps they just adjusted the fare?

Edit: I am not seeing the £449 fare for that voyage that was quoted on ask.cunard.com for a balcony stateroom though.

Regards,

John.

Edited by bluemarble

Hi David. Frankly, I am unfamiliar with an unlimited drinks package. I can't remember having read about and unlimited drinks package being offered previously on a Cunard ship but maybe I just missed the memo.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think an unlimited drinks package a good idea. Too much temptation for passengers to 'get their monies worth' and getting sauced on a ship at sea endangers everyone on board. Seems to me that this scheme does nothing to support the Cunard Line - it's so carnival

Salacia

I quite agree, Salacia. The Holland America package we are getting offers up to 15 drinks a day - which have to be ordered at least five minutes apart. At first, 15 drinks a day seemed absurd to me. But that includes any bar and restaurant beverages, such as pop, coffee, etc. As moderate drinkers, we would never buy such a package but it is part of the early booking bonus. Those who do not get it free can pay for the package. Apparently this encouragement to drink is not usually a problem on HAL. It has been decades since our last cruise on that line, but I am led to believe that the clientèle is still an older and tasteful bunch - much like those on Cunard:) - except more men moan about having to dress up twice a week.

I hope Cunard doesn't make a habit of offering an unlimited drinks package. It just isn't Cunard, as you say.

Edited by david,Mississauga
typo

hi all, thanks for the responses. Its interesting to note the US passengers get their gratuities included and sometime large amounts of onboard spend ( I read 400 usd somewhere).

Our full price fares (the old vantage or current cunard fare) never seems to give much onboard spend, maybe 100 usd which has always pushed me to the getaway/saver fares. I cannot see the benefit of paying £750 more each for £60 odd on onboard and a coach to Southampton (The trains costing me £7)However, I'm not a regular cruise price checker and I note they're including drinks on the full price now

When I booked (same time I started the thread) the ship was only 75% full and the flights were on the virgin/delta code rather than BA like last year.

They tried the hard sell on cunard fare (no drinks when I booked) focusing on "have to pay in full now" and "lose all the money on cancellation" I simply asked, what I would get back if I cancelled today, a few hours after I booked the cunard fare. Told 25% ( I knew this anyway). His only come back on "there's your answer, false economy" was I wouldn't get my preference for dining or cabin. Well sonny I have no favoured cabin and you cannot guarantee I weren't get my preferred second seating, which I didn't tell you about anyway.

• 11 months later...
Is it possible to to book a cruise only from an American TA if you live in the UK.

The short answer is: YES.

They don't like you doing it as some prices can be much cheaper in the US, especially TA's but you have to book your own flights if required, in order to make it worthwhile.

You can use the US Travel Agent's address if you don't have one.

I've done it 3 times and have both US & UK World Club numbers that are linked.

Stewart

Oh what a minefield these fares are.

Feel happy with your deal, book it and forget what you may see in the future.

NEVER discuss your deal at the dinner table.

Wise words which all should follow...

(... ie sadly, not everyone follows your sensible suggestions :( )

Thank you :)

Edited by pepperrn

I was very nervous making our TA booking, as it's a LOT of money and I had nothing to compare it with or any experience with cruise pricing.

Like flights, I accept the prices can vary greatly for the same flight, but most people do their best to get a good deal. NZ/OZ pricing does seem on the steep side, but we got the free drinks package and looking at the Cunard site, the same booking would cost us $5k more with no drinks package if we booked now! So I'm pleased with that, and will not look again, just in case the price drops :p

With regards to the drinks package... I'm a big fan. I don't think passengers "getting their money's worth" concerns me too much on Cunard. Maybe if it was P&O :p

I like the thought of ordering drinks whenever I like, without stressing out my Scottish husband :D

The fares and benefits differ! For a low cost TA from the Uk, you can get return air flights whereas the US it is crossing alone. Booking from NZ is just steep, hence, I booked via the US. That said, advance booking does allow those who have to fly from far to get the lowest cost flights to or from the port - short notice does not. And advance booking gives you the chance of getting the room you want and higher likelihood of an upgrade. Thankfully, we did a last minute booking and managed to find a really good last minute flight deal but we didn't get the stateroom we would have preferred, nor our favoured airline - that is the cost of the last minute deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One other thing I've never seen mentioned whenever this topic is discussed.

Booking in the UK will give you ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) and, if a flight is included, ATOL (Air Tour Operators Licence) protection should the travel agent or operator go bust.

Are there equivalent guarantees included in the US fares?

Regards, Colin.

One other thing I've never seen mentioned whenever this topic is discussed.

Booking in the UK will give you ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents) and, if a flight is included, ATOL (Air Tour Operators Licence) protection should the travel agent or operator go bust.

Are there equivalent guarantees included in the US fares?

Regards, Colin.

I don't need ABTA protection as I am covered elsewhere and as I have booked flight separately. I'll take the cheaper fare any day (esp as Cunard is a big company) and the cruise is less than 6 weeks away.

The US prices are way cheaper. I recently booked QV Christmas cruise for the same price in $ as showing on UK prices in £ eg. $1000 or £1000! and I got over $400 in OBC. A "no brainer" in my opinion.

US fares aren't covered by ABTA but these people have been around a long time and if booking pretty close when you have to pay all up front then Cunard get their money pretty quickly and I feel safe enough.

Haven't seen any drinks inclusive packages though as I would get one.

Cheers

Pat

Edited by Deeliteful

The US prices are way cheaper. I recently booked QV Christmas cruise for the same price in $ as showing on UK prices in £ eg. $1000 or £1000! and I got over $400 in OBC. A "no brainer" in my opinion.

US fares aren't covered by ABTA but these people have been around a long time and if booking pretty close when you have to pay all up front then Cunard get their money pretty quickly and I feel safe enough.

Haven't seen any drinks inclusive packages though as I would get one.

Cheers

Pat

Hi Pat

Do the US prices include all taxes etc? And how do you get round not giving your uk home address? Can you still apply shareholder incentives?

Thanks for letting us know that Uk residents can get the same cruise via a US agent. I'm sure I read that Cunard wouldn't accept uk passengers booking via USA.

Edited by Pjran

Hi Pat

Do the US prices include all taxes etc? And how do you get round not giving your uk home address? Can you still apply shareholder incentives?

Thanks for letting us know that Uk residents can get the same cruise via a US agent. I'm sure I read that Cunard wouldn't accept uk passengers booking via USA.

Hi Pjran

Yes taxes are included, no problem using UK address, no idea about shareholder incentives.

I can't see how Cunard can stop you booking from where you like - they still get their money at a price they have obviously agreed.

Why the huge difference in price I don't know but it does vary. I cruised this time last year on QE and got a very good deal in the UK including flights.

I don't mind paying what I believe the cruise is worth but I don't like being ripped off either and so I will go to wherever I get the best "bang for my buck"!

Cheers

Pat

If booking in the US you are given another CWC number and you will have to get them linked to the UK one.

If you apply for Shareholder benefits then you have to fax/post to the US dept.

CUNARD*

Booking Support

24303 Town Center Drive, Suite 200

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Tel 800 872 6779 ext. 30317

Fax 661 753 0180

Edited by Pennbank
added us address

I can't see how Cunard can stop you booking from where you like - they still get their money at a price they have obviously agreed.

Careful!

It's in their T & C'c, in the small print, that prices are only applicable to residents of that country.

However, being cosmopolitan, and spending time in the US, would allow you to qualify, if you see what I mean. Some people just use the TA's address.

I have noticed that American posters seem to get their own flghts on a TA but Brit prices include the flight maybe that is one reason on the price difference. I know when we book a TA and don't use the flight the pricei is a fair bit less.

Even taking the flights into account it is much cheaper to book from USA.

I think you could apply this comparison to most purchases uk/us.

Car: BMW 3-Series coupe

Spec/options:

J

335i SE coupe/335iS

Heated seats

Bluetooth phone prep and navigation

BMW assist

USA = $44,900 = £28,820

UK = £31,120

Price difference: £2,300 more expensive than USA

Note this is from 2011. Never forget exchange rates!!

David.

Edited by balf