Motion of Getaway

JRos

I'm reading that despite the stabilizers, the motion is quite nauseating on Getaway. Anyone care to confirm this? I'm going to take Bonine on embarkation day, next week.... Just worried about the intensity of the rocking.

Hi JRos. Everyone is different, so you may be highly susceptible to motion sickness. My first experience cruising was on a US Naval vessel on the Pacific. Someone suggested I purchase pressure point bands that are worn on both wrists, and available in the US at most drug stores. I carried the two wrist bands in my pocket each day. When the sea became quite rocky in the late afternoon, I simply put them on for immediate relief. For me, the up and down motion was instantaneously negated. Side to side, not so much; but that was ok as long as up and down was non-affecting.

I think the float away from the dock is the most relaxing thing. The calm of that experience washes away tension in me and instantly puts me in the right mood. That is, instead of taking a few days to wind down like on land-based, vacation experiences. Good luck and happy sailing.

While we didn't "feel" Getaway's motion, my daughter got seasick on her. She did fine with Bonine and tje pressure bands and those good old ginger candies.

She has never been queasy on a ship before.

On the flip side, this trip was the first time that I did not have sea legs after a cruise.

I have been on both the Getaway and the Breakaway and found the Getaway had significantly more movement. We had waves under 5 feet on the Getaway and you felt the side to side motion throughout the entire ship. The up and down motion was noticeable if you were staring out of the window can you could see up and down..

On the Breakaway we sailed to Bermuda in high waves 12 feet or more and the motion was not that noticeable. We hit 27 foot waves going back to NYC and that was noticeable!!

My suggestion, pack you Bonine and take it twice a day, bring along some ginger chews and pressure point bands.

A fair bit of sea sickness is in the mind. I was taking an Aunt on a cruise a few years back. No joking, she was seasick before she left the house.

Ships are tiny on vast oceans. Stabilizers work to a point, but in heavy seas, and depending whether the ship is pitching or rolling, they may do next to nothing.

I'm afraid to say, if you're asking the question now, you are very likely to suffer before most.

I have been on both the Getaway and the Breakaway and found the Getaway had significantly more movement. We had waves under 5 feet on the Getaway and you felt the side to side motion throughout the entire ship. The up and down motion was noticeable if you were staring out of the window can you could see up and down..

On the Breakaway we sailed to Bermuda in high waves 12 feet or more and the motion was not that noticeable. We hit 27 foot waves going back to NYC and that was noticeable!!

My suggestion, pack you Bonine and take it twice a day, bring along some ginger chews and pressure point bands.

Usually at least on a smaller boat (mine) a small chop of 2-3 feet with close waves is a lot worse than larger 3-5 foot waves

Seasickness can happen to anybody, anywhere. For some people it's just a momentary perception of motion, when they weren't expecting it.

The best advice is to be prepared for it, and have a strategy to cope. On our last cruise, to Iceland, we had about 30 hours in 35-40 ft seas, in a category 2 hurricane.

The ship was moving. Nobody disputed that. :D

We had strategies:

1. I carried a sea-sick bag in my back pocket, hidden under my shirt. For me, once I no longer had to constantly be thinking about "where will I go, if I'm sick", meant that I could stop thinking about getting sick....and the sensation lessened too.

2. Green apples are available in the buffet. Ginger could be requested at the sushi bar. Both have anti-nauseal properties.

3. It seems that most sea-sickness is due to your inner-ear (balance) sensing movement...but everything around you (chairs, other people) is stable (nothing appears to be moving, but you feel movement). This causes your inner ear to say to your stomach...."yo, what's up?". And your stomach replies..."what do I look like, a brain?". And then it vomits, to make its point.

BUT... if you can see the motion, then your inner-ear and your brain reconcile and say..."oh, we ARE moving", and they stop nagging at your stomach, which stops having to prove itself.

SO.... if you find the ship moving, eat some ginger (or drink some ginger ale), go & stare at the horizon for a bit, and plan for the worst - it'll ease your mind.

I've also found that the pressure bands you wear on your wrist work miracles for me. I use them whenever there's any motion at all, and even when flying.

Stephen

So it sounds like these sea bands are a good thing to have on hand (no pun intended!). Do you wear one on each wrist? This is our first cruise and I'd rather be prepared!

Yes, they're sold by the pair, and the "circuit" is completed when you have them on each wrist... about 3 finger-widths from your palm (or just about the distance of the elbow-side of your watch).

I think I paid about $8 for a pair.

We've had mixed thoughts about the ship in several threads now. Last week the captain announced when he engaged the stabilizers. I must have been numb because I felt very little movement. Two people were nauseated almost as soon as we left port. One gal purchased the sea bands on board, but it still took a day to feel good. Everyone's body reacts differently and for whatever reason. I've not been sick once even if the seas were rough. Maybe part of it my mental outlook or my body doesn't react. I always bring my remedies with me, so far they go home with me except my ginger supply that I dished out to others.

Four weeks ago on Getaway, we hit what the captain described as "three-meter" seas on our first day and a half. The movement--both up and down and side to side--was more than I had anticipated, given how rock solid our cruise was on another ship in 2013. I recall in the Garden Buffet (Deck 15), walking toward the aft and feeling a tad off balance as the ship slid sideways. The motion was most noticeable in the rear, but never did it get close to feeling scary or dangerous. On other days, the motion was hardly noticeable or not at all noticeable.

I've been on some seriously pitching sailboats in shallow bays. There's certainly a group psychology involved; once one person gets ill, it's almost contagious. I think the best antidote for seasickness, aside from the time-honored remedies discussed above, is to avoid obsessing over the ship's motion and to focus on something pleasant--while realizing you undergo far more side-to-side motion when traveling on a windy highway or riding the rides in an amusement park or swinging on a swing, without any ill effects. For most of us.

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

I'm reading that despite the stabilizers, the motion is quite nauseating on Getaway. Anyone care to confirm this? I'm going to take Bonine on embarkation day, next week.... Just worried about the intensity of the rocking.

While I found it to be one of the more rocky ships, it wasn't too bad. Even 6 footers were noticeable but it wasn't violent. It was pretty gentle.

Take Bonine anyway. Its a great ship and you will love it.

To answer your question directly: I never felt the movement aboard Getaway approached anything near "quite nauseating." Even in choppy seas, Getaway handled 10-foot swells with aplomb. Sure, there definitely was mild motion, especially at bow and stern, but nothing to write home about--and certainly nothing compared to the ride you are in store for when you hop aboard one of those island minivans. ;)

My wife is susceptible to sea sickness. She takes on meclizine (Bonine) the night before the cruise, then either 2 or occasionally 3 each day of the cruise. That really works for her. We were on the Getaway and I really didn't notice the motion being any different than all the other ships we've been on. I think sea conditions are going to determine that always, and you don't know what that will be like until the cruise.

Seasickness can happen to anybody, anywhere. For some people it's just a momentary perception of motion, when they weren't expecting it.

The best advice is to be prepared for it, and have a strategy to cope. On our last cruise, to Iceland, we had about 30 hours in 35-40 ft seas, in a category 2 hurricane.

The ship was moving. Nobody disputed that. :D

We had strategies:

1. I carried a sea-sick bag in my back pocket, hidden under my shirt. For me, once I no longer had to constantly be thinking about "where will I go, if I'm sick", meant that I could stop thinking about getting sick....and the sensation lessened too.

2. Green apples are available in the buffet. Ginger could be requested at the sushi bar. Both have anti-nauseal properties.

3. It seems that most sea-sickness is due to your inner-ear (balance) sensing movement...but everything around you (chairs, other people) is stable (nothing appears to be moving, but you feel movement). This causes your inner ear to say to your stomach...."yo, what's up?". And your stomach replies..."what do I look like, a brain?". And then it vomits, to make its point.

BUT... if you can see the motion, then your inner-ear and your brain reconcile and say..."oh, we ARE moving", and they stop nagging at your stomach, which stops having to prove itself.

SO.... if you find the ship moving, eat some ginger (or drink some ginger ale), go & stare at the horizon for a bit, and plan for the worst - it'll ease your mind.

I've also found that the pressure bands you wear on your wrist work miracles for me. I use them whenever there's any motion at all, and even when flying.

Stephen

Ok, Stephen, I have to tell you that your explanation of sea sickness was the best I have ever read! I just shared it with my husband and we laughed a lot! I especially enjoyed the stomach's reply - "what do I look like a brain?"

You are very, very funny! Thanks for the good chuckle of the day!!