LAX to PPT

jilly08

Hi Everyone,

Now that fares are finally published for Sept/Oct dates for my cruise, I am at a loss as to jump on the fares now or wait. I've been watching them on Kayak.

They are $1640 round trip.

In your experience, has it paid to wait? Can I expect fares to go down next year or will they just keep climbing?

Thanks,

Jill

Jill,

I just purchased airfare last week less than 30 days in advance $1640. You are seeing the lowest going rate. Not sure they offer sales or not. Personally, I travel full time, and I would never purchase airline tickets that far in advance. Not sure PPT is like Europe, but they offer good fall sales around June. The only advantage for me for buying advance airfare, is to cherry pick seat assignments. When I book less than 30 days out, I usually get the best deals, but not the best seats. It depends. PPT is supply and demand. High prices due to few flights.

Cheers, Sungirl

Given that there are few options and you really can't not have a flight I'd book something to have it.

The gamble then becomes (a) book refundable and pay more and maybe not have needed to if nothing better becomes available or (b) book non-refundable and be locked in or pay change fees if something better comes along.

Also look at options of both Air Tahiti and Air France. We booked early and are actually using frequent flyer miles and are going on Hawaiian connecting through Honolulu. It adds about 2 hours to the travel time but will break it up a bit wih the stop. Plus using miles are better than paying dollars!

Here is a thread the provides some info on fare sales:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1190827

Notice that all three of these fare sales were announced in April. Be sure to check for cruise line air sales like this Princess example. You should also sign up for ATN emails. That's how I found out about these ATN sales.

I think it's too early to buy a nonrefundable ticket for a trip that's 10 months out. I see no advantage that justifies the risk of losing your money if your plans change.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Here is another way to save on airfare to Tahiti. Did you know Air Tahiti Nui (ATN) flies from LAX to Auckland*? Furthermore, did you know they allow free stopovers (both ways!) in Tahiti. And did you know that a round trip flight to Auckland cost only about $100 more than a round trip to Tahiti.

We took advantage of this on our Auckland to Sydney cruise last November, and stayed in Moorea for 5 nights. The only problem was that we liked the 5 night stopover in Moorea more than the cruise!

For the ultimate in "bucket list" cruising, how about taking a cruise in French Polynesia, followed by another cruise out of Auckland or Sydney. You can do this all on one round-trip ticket on ATN, for about $1402 USD, plus the cost of a flight between Sydney and Auckland (if needed).

Here is the fine print from the ATN fare rules:

https://www.airtahitinui.com/us-en/airfare-special/adventures-auckland

"Stopovers: 4 Stopovers permitted on the pricing unit, 2 in each direction. Limited to 2 free in Papeete (PPT), and 2 at US$150 each."

I think this trick also works for our Kiwi and Aussie friends when traveling to the USA.

*Actually, the Tahiti to Auckland flight is a code share on Air New Zealand, ticketed as an Air Tahiti Nui flight.

Edited by Mercruiser

• 2 weeks later...

We booked the Ocean Princess last February for our cruise this coming January for the French Polynesia cruise. In March they had this amazing airfare sale on Princess. The prices had been showing what you have been seeing Jilly08, and the sale put them at $785 per person out of LAX to PPT.

We are using our Southwest miles to get to LAX, so this was an amazing deal to us and we grabbed it. They were non refundable, but I was willing to do that for that price.

Just keep watching Princess site everyday and hopefully they will run this sale for your cruise.

We booked the Ocean Princess last February for our cruise this coming January for the French Polynesia cruise. In March they had this amazing airfare sale on Princess. The prices had been showing what you have been seeing Jilly08, and the sale put them at $785 per person out of LAX to PPT.

We are using our Southwest miles to get to LAX, so this was an amazing deal to us and we grabbed it. They were non refundable, but I was willing to do that for that price.

Just keep watching Princess site everyday and hopefully they will run this sale for your cruise.

Amazing! I will do that. I am also using SW points to get to LAX! Have a great cruise ...

Jill

We were told by Princess to call them December 2nd for airfare quotes. They quoted us $1800.14 (non-refundable) or $2186.42 (refundable) per person from LAX to PPT for October 2015. And you have to pay upfront once you book that airfare. This is really way too much. Checked with Hawaiian Air to get there via HNL but they don't have anything that fits the dates. We really want this cruise but since we have until early August to cancel it, we'll keep checking and if it doesn't come down, we'll just cancel the cruise out.

I thought that if you got Princess' insurance, it would cover cancellation of everything without penalty. Is that not true? What if you have a medical or family emergency? Are you just out of luck? So disappointed.

Thanks.

We were told by Princess to call them December 2nd for airfare quotes. They quoted us $1800.14 (non-refundable) or $2186.42 (refundable) per person from LAX to PPT for October 2015. And you have to pay upfront once you book that airfare. This is really way too much. Checked with Hawaiian Air to get there via HNL but they don't have anything that fits the dates. We really want this cruise but since we have until early August to cancel it, we'll keep checking and if it doesn't come down, we'll just cancel the cruise out.

I thought that if you got Princess' insurance, it would cover cancellation of everything without penalty. Is that not true? What if you have a medical or family emergency? Are you just out of luck? So disappointed.

Thanks.

I booked using EZ Air and I have the refundable tickets right now.. but I didn't have to pay a dime until final payment. And of course, I can cancel these without penalty.

Thanks.

No need to be disappointed. Just wait until next spring and see if we have some sales by ATN or Princess. Between ATN and Air France, there are two wide-body flights per day to/from LAX. Its not like they are going to fill up any time soon. Heck, there are plenty of seats available right now for Christmas and New Years. There is no reason to think the flights will fill up for October.

I also don't see any reason to focus on Princess Air, unless they provide a really significant discount (under $800 last year). Shop around with ATN and AF. Set up a "fare watch" using one the web sites that we are not allowed to name. (In China, you are not allowed to blog about democracy. Here, we are not allowed to blog about TAs. But, I digress.) The "fare watch" will send you an email if the price changes.

Sent using Tapatalk

We will hang-in for a more affordable airfare.

And yesterday (after posting here about the airfare) checked the Princess website and saw the promotional sale for new and booked cruises. We got $420/each off the cruise, $75 each in OBC, and a free shore excursion each.

Princess has never mentioned OBC for veterans so I will be calling to see how to get it for DH.

It's an omen that we are to take this cruise.

Glad to get so much helpful info. from this forum. Thank you all!

We will hang-in for a more affordable airfare.

And yesterday (after posting here about the airfare) checked the Princess website and saw the promotional sale for new and booked cruises. We got $420/each off the cruise, $75 each in OBC, and a free shore excursion each.

Princess has never mentioned OBC for veterans so I will be calling to see how to get it for DH.

It's an omen that we are to take this cruise.

Glad to get so much helpful info. from this forum. Thank you all!

Wow, that's amazing! Good for you.

How did you find this? When I sign onto my Princess...nothing?

Edited by jilly08