Work Dilemma--Help!

Reese88

My work needs me to go overseas next week and I am scheduled to go on a cruise. The business trip is very important. Am I pretty much screwed with the cruise or is there a way, via the insurance I purchased, to have the cruise postponed. Anyone been in this situation?

My work needs me to go overseas next week and I am scheduled to go on a cruise. The business trip is very important. Am I pretty much screwed with the cruise or is there a way, via the insurance I purchased, to have the cruise postponed. Anyone been in this situation?

What does your policy say?

I agree with the above posters.

If THEY need you that much, then it's time to negotiate. I'm sure you would be more than happy to bail them out of this situation, but they also need to understand the financial impact this will have on you. If they are willing to negotiate with you and cover your losses plus include something extra, then by all means bail them out of their situation. If not,,,oh well,,,bon voyage :D

my moto - i go to work to live, i do not live to work!!

I'm sure that everyone you work with knows your vacation plans - my office knew 3 months in advance loud and clear everyday how many days left till my cruise. I'm not a clerk, I am an asst. vp - (not that makes a difference) you earned your vacation - unless your company is willing to reimburse you for the cruise and any other expenses associated with your trip I wouldn't do it.

What have they done for you lately - did you get a real nice raise, maybe a good bonus - are they genuinly concerned about you as an individual and not just as an employee. Will they really appreciate the fact that you have cancelled your vacation and disappointed the group that you are going with?

What would really happen if you postponed the business trip one week or 10 days. What kind of attitude will you have on a business trip when you are suppose to be on a cruise? Isn't there anyone else who can make this trip?

Good luck with your dilema. I truly feel for you.

My two cents- Why wouldn't your company reimburse you for ALL monies lost, including shore excursion costs or deposits, trip insurance, and flight if not refundable (at the very least, pony up the money for the ticket change charge), if they are requesting (read requiring?) you to go on business? If you're going with your DW or DH and kids, I would expect they reimburse you for costs incurred for them too. I don't think DW would want to go on a cruise without me, nor I without her (I could be fooling myself there though;) )

I assume you requested the vacation far in advance, so I can't fathom why they wouldn't reimburse for a vacation missed for a (seemingly) critical business reason.

Just one reason I'm glad I work for myself. I don't get paid vacation, but I can go when I want! :D

I'm going to follow this closely though, I really hope it works out well for you and that you either get your entire cruise reimbursed by work or you don't have to go on the work trip.

LOL

That is why I am glad I DONT work for myself. I know me, and I would be the worst boss I ever had.

My managment knows my plans for this cruise 10 months in advance, if they tried to pull my vacation for that time period, they would remurse me for everything.

But they wont, family oriented company, I am going on an adventure with my wife, they think that is great.

Just one reason I'm glad I work for myself. I don't get paid vacation, but I can go when I want! :D

I work for myself and this is one area where I'm dissappointed, not glad, about it. :(

I'm constantly subject to the schedules and progress of my jobs and projects. I would really love to, but I can't plan any cruises with CC groups because of this. I must cruise LAST MINUTE (5-7 days before the cruise) and be willing to cancel the last minute and lose everything, if something that absolutely requires my presence comes up. Nerve wracking, at times, as I constantly search, prepare, plot, and scheme for that "window" where I can be away for a week. :rolleyes:

Tell your work to pay for the whole cruise, or you are going as planned. Drop in the bucket for them. Tell them you expect them to upgrade you on your next cruise for the inconvienance.

Are you serious? If one of my employees came to me and started telling me XYZ, they'd be without a job.

Reese, speak with your employer. Rarely do these trips, especially oversees ones come up out of the blue. It just may be that those responsible didn't realize that you have a planned vacation. Usually someone else will be able to go for you.

If indeed this is a last minute trip and you must go, talk to your employer. Nicely remind them that you have had this expensive cruise planned and you will not get reimbursed at this late date.

I'm sure they'll either tell you to go and send someone else or reimburse you but don't show up and start demanding compensation.

Didn't they know you had a trip planned? If so, I'm sure they'd reimburse you for any financial loss. I doubt insurance would cover you, but read your policy.

Archived