Newbie question about booking future cruises on board

slfam

Dh and I are going on the 7 night RC Oasis of the Seas for our first cruise together. We have been told that there is an on board office where you can book future cruises at a discount. Has anyone done this? Is it better to do it there or can I usually find better deals online? (I got think I got a GREAT deal on this cruise for $549 base price per person.) I am not sure how it works but since we will likely want to go again I want to be prepared in case they offer me a good deal.

Edited by slfam

The main difference is the deposit is only $100 per person, you don't have to pay anything until final payment, and you earn an OBC. We always book onboard and then watch for lower prices before final payment date. We get better cabin choices.

You can buy the ahead of time cruise then convert later but we noticed on our last cruise that the On Board Credit had greatly reduced to only 25 dollars verses the 100 in the past. You do get a better On board credit if you make a booking with the cruise planner on board during the cruise, I think that is why the change. Even if you book onboard if you watch prices and specials they can apply the discounts at later dates by calling RCCL direct. We just had them take off another 215 dollars by calling and asking about discount for veterans week, took all of 5 minutes. On our Canadian Cruise they refunded back 440.00 to us overall after our initial booking.

Dh and I are going on the 7 night RC Oasis of the Seas for our first cruise together. We have been told that there is an on board office where you can book future cruises at a discount. Has anyone done this? Is it better to do it there or can I usually find better deals online? (I got think I got a GREAT deal on this cruise for $549 base price per person.) I am not sure how it works but since we will likely want to go again I want to be prepared in case they offer me a good deal.

The main difference is the deposit is only $100 per person, you don't have to pay anything until final payment, and you earn an OBC. We always book onboard and then watch for lower prices before final payment date. We get better cabin choices.

Just to clarify:

You never have to pay anything beyond your deposit until final payment, regardless of where and how you book your cruise. This is not a feature related to booking on board.

And you do not necessarily get better cabin choices. Whenever or wherever you book your cruise, you have your choice of whatever cabins are currently available. The LA (loyalty ambassador) does not have access to more cabins than anyone else.

:)

Just to clarify:

You never have to pay anything beyond your deposit until final payment, regardless of where and how you book your cruise. This is not a feature related to booking on board.

And you do not necessarily get better cabin choices. Whenever or wherever you book your cruise, you have your choice of whatever cabins are currently available. The LA (loyalty ambassador) does not have access to more cabins than anyone else.

:)

Thanks! You are correct. I mentioned the payment part because not everyone understands that. I, mistakenly, left out that when we book on board we typically book a year out. That allows us a better choice. I will say working with the LA or a representative gives you easier access to what cabins are available than booking online. Online does not show you all of the available cabins although, you can search to see if particular cabins are available. Also, we like the personal service of working with the LA.

I believe the OBC is better when you actually book onboard rather than buying the certificate. But, maybe you know better than me. I've never bought the certificate.