Public transportation - sporting events

h-sar

Hi, my DD (15) and DS (17) have tix to a Panthers game and a Heat/Magic game, post cruise end of Dec. We will have a rental, but are wondering if it might be easier for us to drop them off at a train or bus that would get them there. The kids are well versed in travel and actually attended a Chelsea soccer game in London by themselves on the tube. Any suggestions, or would driving them there be best?

Also DH and I are not b'ball fans, but are wondering if just the atmosphere/entertainment alone would be worth shelling out $70 each??

Any recommendations for excellent Mexican restaurants would be appreciated. We are staying in the Plantation area next to a mall area for 5 days. Thank you.

Edited by h-sar

Hi, my DD (15) and DS (17) have tix to a Panthers game and a Heat/Magic game, post cruise end of Dec. We will have a rental, but are wondering if it might be easier for us to drop them off at a train or bus that would get them there. The kids are well versed in travel and actually attended a Chelsea soccer game in London by themselves on the tube. Any suggestions, or would driving them there be best?

Also DH and I are not b'ball fans, but are wondering if just the atmosphere/entertainment alone would be worth shelling out $70 each??

Any recommendations for excellent Mexican restaurants would be appreciated. We are staying in the Plantation area next to a mall area for 5 days. Thank you.

Drop them off at American Airlines Arena for the Heat Game then head to Mary Brickell Village and sit outside at Balans or one of the other great restaurants and spend that $140 on a great dinner and bottle of wine.

South Florida isn't really known for great Mexican food. We do Cuban/Spanish/Haitian/Peruvian really well.

Havana 1957 is my new favorite Cuban. http://www.Havana1957.com

For Mexican we always go to Tijuana Flats.

Sad, I know.

There is a La Bamba Mexican restaurant on W. Sunrise Blvd in Plantation. It's probably the best Mexican restaurant in that area. They have a very inexpensive lunch menu too. They also have Cuban food there but it's not great. (Las Vegas on W. Broward Blvd near the hotel and Padranos on S. University Dr. in the Fountains have good Cuban food). It will be easy to drop the kids off at the Panthers arena in Sunrise. Blue has a great idea about spending the evening in Miami if you are comfortable driving there.

Edited by royalcruz

There is a La Bamba Mexican restaurant on W. Sunrise Blvd in Plantation. It's probably the best Mexican restaurant in that area. They have a very inexpensive lunch menu too. They also have Cuban food there but it's not great. (Las Vegas on W. Broward Blvd near the hotel and Padranos on S. University Dr. in the Fountains have good Cuban food). It will be easy to drop the kids off at the Panthers arena in Sunrise. Blue has a great idea about spending the evening in Miami if you are comfortable driving there.

I wonder if the OP understands that the Heat are in Miami and the Panthers in Fort Lauderdale and it is about an hour drive between the two?

I wonder if the OP understands that the Heat are in Miami and the Panthers in Fort Lauderdale and it is about an hour drive between the two?

I do, thanks! The events are a couple of days apart. BlueHerons, since you're from the area, any advice you'd like to give re: shopping (esp. outlets), restaurants (Mexican, Italian, standard American), transportation routes to take/avoid, tourist attractions not to be missed, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any suggestions for New Year's Eve activities for the family - what would be the best place to go for midnight activiities. Kids, of course, would love to attend one of the big indoor events that's broadcast around the world from Miami, but it's sold out. Fireworks on the beach, perhaps?

Thanks!

Thanks, royalcruz. As we have 5 days post cruise in the area, any suggestions for day trips would be appreciated.

I do, thanks! The events are a couple of days apart. BlueHerons, since you're from the area, any advice you'd like to give re: shopping (esp. outlets), restaurants (Mexican, Italian, standard American), transportation routes to take/avoid, tourist attractions not to be missed, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any suggestions for New Year's Eve activities for the family - what would be the best place to go for midnight activiities. Kids, of course, would love to attend one of the big indoor events that's broadcast around the world from Miami, but it's sold out. Fireworks on the beach, perhaps?

Thanks!

This is the largest celebration in South Florida http://events.orangebowl.org/bowl-week-events/city-of-ft-lauderdale-orange-bowl-downtown-countdown/

Are you staying in Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Definitely hit up Sawgrass Mills Outlets in Fort Lauderdale. It is one of the largest malls in the US.

The water taxi is also a lot of fun.

The only Mexican restaurant we go to is Roccos Tacos on Las Olas. Also a few of my favorites on Las Olas are Lobster Bar, Timpanos, Big City Tavern, Fork & Balls, Bao, Royal Pig, 401 Grill, Sweet Nectar.

Off Las Olas; S3 (oceanfront, really cool), Steak 954, Arubas, Shuck & Dive, Catfish Deweys, Kellys, 15th Street Fisheries, Bimini Boatyard, Coconuts, Trulucks, Rustic Inn.

Himmarshee Village; Taps, Tarpon Bend, Himmarshee Public House, Rok Burger.

Edited by BlueHerons

Thanks, royalcruz. As we have 5 days post cruise in the area, any suggestions for day trips would be appreciated.

There is usually a New Years Eve party in downtown Fort Lauderdale on SW 2nd St.

Some nice places to see:

Sawgrass Mills Mall (near hotel in Sunrise)

Breakers historic beachfront hotel and shopping on Worth Avenue (old Palm Beach)

Las Olas Blvd (downtown Ft Lauderdale)

Vizcaya (Miami)

South Beach and Lincoln Rd (Miami)

boating or waverunners in Ft Lauderdale

water taxi or Carrie B or Jungle Queen

I any advice you'd like to give re: tourist attractions not to be missed, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have a rental car spend a day at Everglades National Park - either the Ernest Coe Visitors Center and Royal Palm at the end of the turnpike (Homestead) or Shark Valley on the Tamiami Trail. The winter is the time to visit - the animals (birds, fish, alligators) congregate around the watering holes and are very up close and personal (some folks may feel the alligators are too up close :o). Whenever we have out of town guests in the winter we visit one or the other and they have never failed to be one of the highlights of a visit to South Florida. Check out http://www.nps.gov/ever/index.htm.