Bussletons Big Day

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/regional/south-west/a/25595783/diamond-ship-to-brighten-busselton/

'Diamond' ship to brighten Busselton

Busselton Dunsborough TimesNovember 24, 2014, 9:46 am

Preparations are set for the first of 16 scheduled cruise ship visits to Busselton, which stakeholders hope will inject millions of dollars into the local economy.

The Diamond Princess will berth in Busselton at 9am on Thursday, carrying up to 2600 passengers and 1100 crew.

Some 90 per cent of passengers are expected to disembark, with half of those going on excursions booked through Princess Cruises and half exploring the region independently.

A huge welcome has been planned for the visitors, including jetty hosts who will distribute maps and volunteers who will dress up as some of Busselton’s historic characters.

Busselton Has a VERY long jetty. When I grew up there, they were two and they were one and a half miles long, and timber trading ships used to tie up at the end. The timber would be taken out by train. In 1981 we had a cyclone which severely damaged one jetty which was subsequently demolished, and shorted the remaining jetty. There, is still a train, but for passengers only which goes out to the underwater observatory, which is near the end.

Off the coast of Busselton there is a very long reef with only one entrance. I doubt if Diamond will come inside. Mind you the timber traders back in the 60's managed, but they are not quite the same size. The water at the end of the Jetty is very clear and one can see the bottom of the ocean therefore, it is not too deep, and thus the observatory. The beach is wonderful for swimming, unless the 'stingers' are visiting.

I live in Bunbury which is 35K's north. But I grew up and went to school in Busso.

Maybe I could charge a fortune, and run a couple of tours!!! :D K

It will be interesting to watch the arrival tomorrow. Apparently they will be using the finger jetties next to our iconic wooden jetty. The finger jetties form a u shape from the shore and form a swimming area at the main beach. They aren't very wide. We are heading done to the bay once we knock off work tomorrow and hope to see the last tenders leave. Hopefully it will all go smoothly as this will be a fantastic area to visit for cruiseship passengers and will be fantastic for our little city.

It was awesome cycling into work this morning with the vision of the Diamond anchored just off the jetty. It is a lot closer than we thought. Looks like just a couple of km's from the end of the jetty. The foreshore is really buzzing. The high school band is setting up ready to welcome the passengers and a pop-up market is being set up. The bay is beautiful and calm and the weather is overcast but warm. We are heading down to watch the last tender leave this afternoon with a glass of vino in hand.

Gives me goosebumps.

Just jumped on the tender back to the Diamond Princess, approximately a 15/20 minute trip.

Busselton put on a super day, we hired a car and drove through the wine region.

Highly recommended port of call, well done to all concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just jumped on the tender back to the Diamond Princess, approximately a 15/20 minute trip.

Fantastic , glad you took the time to tell us. Enjoy the remainder of your cruise.:D

Glad you had a great day. We were a bit anxious about the rain but it fined up nicely for the afternoon. Wonderful sight watching her sail out of the bay. Quite a few families gathered on the foreshore to watch the big event.