Zuirderdam Condition

Squire5000

We're contemplating booking the Ziurderdam for next November. However, in looking at pictures of the public areas of the ship, it looks pretty dated and, frankly, tacky. I've also read some reviews that are critical of the overall condition of the vessel.

Can anyone chime in on this? We just got back from the N. Amsterdam and have cruised on other HAL ships and have always been impressed but are a little concerned about the Zuirderdam.

Thanks

(Ziurderdam) However, in looking at pictures of the public areas of the ship, it looks pretty dated and, frankly, tacky.

I was on the Zuiderdam from Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale 9/27 to 10/21 - two plus months ago. I'm not particularly picky but the ship looked OK to me - except maybe the polar bear statute at the pool! Again, I may have been enjoying myself too much on the cruise to notice its condition.

There have been postings about how mishmash the art work is but lots of museums are not uniform in content!

(Experience - about 20 cruises, ocean and river)

We sailed her this February and thought she was in good condition (nothing that kept us from having a wonderful cruise!) but there were definitely some areas that needed "sprucing up". I don't know what all is being done but she's going into dry dock for 2 weeks after she does the spring TA (31 March-13 April 2015). We're considering booking her in May so hopefully she'll be looking her best if we - and you - sail her. :D

I am currently onboard her. I have not been to all venues yet, but haven't noticed any horrible decor other than the Sports Bar. I may not want certain styles in my home, but on a cruise I am not concerned with that. So far Half Moon Cay was great and all the staff have been so cordial. Tonight's show was a wonderful pianist. Our meals have been great. To me these things are more important than the decorating. Hope you have a great cruise, whichever ship you choose. :)

I am just off the Zuiderdam and thought the ship was in need of updates. We were in a suite that was dark,dirty,deteriorated carpets and wood floors with a lot of physical problems in the cabin. This was our first time on HAL and our last. We are seasoned cruisers with 51 cruises and this was the worst suite we've been in.Never again. HAL should be ashamed of themselves to let a suite get so shabby.

We were in cabin 6118 (regular verandah) and didn't have any issues. Our room was clean, the cabinets and couch well maintained but our DVD player had a minor issue that was fixed the second day (a rubber gasket on the tray got loose). My parents had a handicapped room (5137) and also had a nice room without issues.

Overall I thought the ship was fine and there is a lot of whinging about nothing. Yes- the colors are bright. But I am on the ship for 11 days and I am not buying it. We noticed a few areas where something needed a touch-up or replacement but it didn't stop our enjoyment of a wonderful trip. We live in a Victorian and probably have a much higher tolerance than most for less-than-perfect conditions. I thought she was fine and would sail her again.

We were on her a month ago. I did not notice any decor issues in the public areas or our cabin, but then again I am a typical "guy" and do not pay much attention to such things, unless they are really bad.

While we did not have any issues in our cabin a few other people we met onboard did mention toilet flushing problems. This happens on most ships however, and IMO is the luck of the draw so to speak.

Our A/C was not as strong as on other HAL ships, but then again we were in very warm areas (Panama Canal cruise). We kept our drapes closed as much as possible and this solved the problem.

I would sail on the Z again in a minute. We had a great time and the crew was FANTASTIC - the best we have experienced in 15 HAL cruises.

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

Just returned from 11 day Panama Canal on Nov. 28th. Ship is worn and does need some upholstery work done. Very clean and I'd say besides much upholstery work, ship is fine. It was a fun cruise and we just noticed this item in about every area.

• 3 weeks later...
Just returned from 11 day Panama Canal on Nov. 28th. Ship is worn and does need some upholstery work done. Very clean and I'd say besides much upholstery work, ship is fine. It was a fun cruise and we just noticed this item in about every area.

Gena and John..............Been trying to track you down.

Please email me - address below.

We just returned from 10 days on this wonderful Ship. Cannot complain about some things needing refreshing, but a few did. Can you imagine the amount of wear and tear these ships get. Thet crew and captain were terrific and we had a fantastic cruise, thanks to the crew and other service personnel. When they go into dry dock in March, they will be doing things to update and check mechanical issues as well as interior updates. Have no fear, she is an a grand lady.