What fuels your cruising obsession?

AquaAdventurer

I enjoyed, and certainly identify with, your enthusiastic reasons :) I sometimes wonder how anyone could feel any different after taking a cruise:confused: To those masses who have overlooked or felt skittish about taking a cruise I have to say, "Give it a try, you may be so very pleasantly surprised!" Every ship has the potential of being a little like Disney on the water - at least one of the parks. If it seems that you and I may be gushing a tad much - how can that be so if we really feel that way?

--Paul

We were one of those couples thy said we didn't want to cruise because we liked being in charge of our time and felt we would be bored on a boat. Boy were we wrong. We fell in love with it so much that our second cruise was 30 days long!

My motivation for cruising is to see as much of the world as I can while I am still healthy enough and still have enough funds to travel. I worked hard for many years, and saved up for the time when I would have the free time to travel.

IMO, cruising is the best way to get to whichever part of the world I decide to go to ...... to me, a ship is a floating 4-5 star hotel that provides great service, comfortable accommodations, my food and entertainment, and best of all .... it stops at the most interesting places along the way!

Cruising seems to have boomed as Baby Boomers bloomed. That you chose traveling as a goal says something about a state of mind I think (excuse any presumption). Neither age or life experience has managed to undermine a basic, and youthful, wonder about the world around us - we haven't become jaded about the world despite what much of the media would have us believe. Perhaps people who love to cruise are the true romantics of our age?

DH and I have fallen in love with cruising. Our first cruise was only a couple of years ago and I'm surprised we didn't do it sooner!! DH loves the 'planning' aspect of it - picking out the boat, the price, the stateroom, looking at ports, excursions and being able to enjoy it by having the ship take us to those ports (not driving). We love that it's all inclusive for food and there's always something to do even if it's just laying around our stateroom and watching a movie.

We were one of those couples thy said we didn't want to cruise because we liked being in charge of our time and felt we would be bored on a boat. Boy were we wrong. We fell in love with it so much that our second cruise was 30 days long!

I was blown away by the trips listed in your Signature. Green with envy! May your sails never lose the wind!

DH loves the 'planning' aspect of it - picking out the boat, the price, the stateroom, looking at ports, excursions and being able to enjoy it by having the ship take us to those ports (not driving). We love that it's all inclusive for food and there's always something to do even if it's just laying around our stateroom and watching a movie.

In my case it's DW who does the logistics of the cruise and transport. My specialty is researching and mapping out places that we decide to spend some time in at the beginning or end of the cruise. I've been soaking up everything I can on New Orleans for the three nights we'll be staying there before sailing in April - not an easy task :eek:

Thank goodness you found that you enjoyed cruising - no options once you're out their on the waves. I envy what must have been a lengthy trip! More water under you and around you than anywhere else on the planet :eek:

Haven't cruised the South Pacific yet, would love to. I did spend a year and a half on Guam while in the service. I remember getting off the plane from the States, it felt like someone slapped me in the face with a warm facecloth. It took a couple of months to get acclimated but I came to enjoy that area. I love looking out over the ocean and watching the storms pass by the island - or right over my head. Being caught in a shower was no problem, warm raindrops and it dried up fast. Oh my, I'm getting nostalgic.

DW and I have come to love the stern area of the ship. The breeze is calmer and the view just as lovely - and even wider than other areas.

Ummm yeah, that's kind of how it is where we live. :D

I've just watched a couple of Nancy's slide presentations! Wonderful photography. Please convey my compliments. Thanks for sharing!

-- Paul

Hi Paul!

I'm glad you had time to watch a couple of my wife's slide shows. I'll pass on your compliments to her.

A funny story about my wife. Years ago, before we started cruising, she was extremely reluctant to take a cruise. I tried for several years to get her interested. Then I had an idea ;) I gave her a camera for her birthday.

She took one look at it and said " It's a very nice present but what will I do with it?"

I said, as casually as I could, "Well, your birthday is coming up soon. We could take a cruise to the Bahamas. I'm sure there is a lot to take pictures of there."

She jumped at the idea. :D

If I had only thought of that sooner.

Now she is the one who picks out the itineraries so she can take pictures!!!!

Her photography has improved over the years and her camera and lenses get a little bigger as time goes by. It makes her happy and that makes me happy. We both share a love of cruising and enjoy spending time together seeing as much of the world as we can.

Thanks again for starting this wonderful thread. I hope it grows and stays around for a long time.

Hi Paul!

. . .

A funny story about my wife. Years ago, before we started cruising, she was extremely reluctant to take a cruise. I tried for several years to get her interested. Then I had an idea ;) I gave her a camera for her birthday.

She took one look at it and said " It's a very nice present but what will I do with it?"

I said, as casually as I could, "Well, your birthday is coming up soon. We could take a cruise to the Bahamas. I'm sure there is a lot to take pictures of there."

She jumped at the idea. :D

If I had only thought of that sooner.

Now she is the one who picks out the itineraries so she can take pictures!!!!

Her photography has improved over the years and her camera and lenses get a little bigger as time goes by. It makes her happy and that makes me happy. We both share a love of cruising and enjoy spending time together seeing as much of the world as we can.

Thanks again for starting this wonderful thread. I hope it grows and stays around for a long time.

"It makes her happy and that makes me happy." To me this is the essence of a happy and successful relationship. It's a point too often missed or too soon lost.

Thanks for sharing that, I loved it! And -- a new skill is born!

We had taken 3 or 4 cruises and DH was tiring of them, so we decided to take time off for a few vacations. Not long after our decision, there was a cruise brochure in the mail advertising a Black Sea cruise; that was the end of our cruising hiatus! DH is also a history major and he was more pumped up about cruising the Mediterranean than anyone I've seen. Subsequently, we've been back 3 times, with hopes for more in the future. We just finished our first (hopefully of many) trans-Atlantic crossing, and now have a warm destination cruise booked for the February doldrums.

My personal reason for cruising is that I love going to bed at night and waking up in the morning in a different country. Oh, and the feeling of "coming home" the moment I step onboard a ship.

Smooth Saiilng! :) :) :)

We had taken 3 or 4 cruises and DH was tiring of them, so we decided to take time off for a few vacations. Not long after our decision, there was a cruise brochure in the mail advertising a Black Sea cruise; that was the end of our cruising hiatus! DH is also a history major and he was more pumped up about cruising the Mediterranean than anyone I've seen. Subsequently, we've been back 3 times, with hopes for more in the future. We just finished our first (hopefully of many) trans-Atlantic crossing, and now have a warm destination cruise booked for the February doldrums.

My personal reason for cruising is that I love going to bed at night and waking up in the morning in a different country. Oh, and the feeling of "coming home" the moment I step onboard a ship.

Smooth Saiilng! :) :) :)

Love your comment: "the feeling of "coming home" the moment I step onboard a ship." Sounds like there's sea water in the DNA - come to think of it that's not far from the truth for any of us.

Would so like to get to the eastern Med and Turkey - the oldest settled communities known, ~9,000 years. When I think of the events and developments that happened there that so affected today's world I can only imagine being there :eek: One day . . .

We also booked a winter break, on the Grandeur out of Baltimore next month :D Upon our return we have to tread water (so to speak) until April when we head to New Orleans and the Dawn! After that :confused: - have to rebuild resource base.

Key word for the day: ENJOY!

Would so like to get to the eastern Med and Turkey - the oldest settled communities known, ~9,000 years. When I think of the events and developments that happened there that so affected today's world I can only imagine being there :eek: One day . . .

We have only been to the Eastern Mediterranean, not the Western(yet :D); on our third trip there, we took our whole family (5 adult children incl 2 spouses). We all agreed that we absolutely have to go back to Istanbul yet again - it is one of the most amazing places in the world. On the "family" cruise, many moments stand out such as having a photo taken with all of us touching the grand pyramid in Cairo. Another was standing together in silence at the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. So much history, so little time!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Exactly! Unfortunately, we were born in a wrong time apparantly Why is it so hard to use cruiselines to actually get somewhere.

Don't know about the laws in other countries, but here in the U.S. we have laws against foreign-flagged vessels transporting goods and passengers from one U.S. port to another. These laws are protectionist in their origins, possibly also militarily defensive, and very old -- some would argue obsolete. But they stand, and it is what makes it "illegal" for Americans to take any cruise ship besides Norwegian's U.S.-flagged Pride of America as transportation from one American city to another, unless the ship has called at a foreign port between the departure and the arrival port.

With repositioning cruises, one can take a ship from one place to another, but of course, those only happen about twice a year.

And of course, many countries besides the U.S. have a "ferry culture," which allows just the kind of thing you are are talking about. Ferries in the U.S. are mostly used by commuters, although there are some exceptions, such as in Alaska.

I believe it's the Jone's Act you're referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

This one really galls many folks. It totally failed in its intent (to protect American ship building and mandate they be crewed by Americans) and its repercussions resulted in a situation that prevents port hops between American cities without a foreign stop. I'd love to take a cruise from Boston down the East Coast and back again, for instance. On the legislative side no Congress would overturn the act because of its protectionist orientation even though the realities have taken away Americans ability to choose and cruise :(

There have been efforts to build a ship that would comply with the act but they flopped.

We are avid Caribbean/Bahamas cruisers who have a passion for the Caribbean/Bahamian islands.

We love enjoying the warmth of the Caribbean/Bahamas after a Maine winter. Boarding a ship in Florida and feeling the sun and breezes is so relaxing and visiting the islands is always interesting for us- as we explore on excursions. For more warmth, we stay a few days in Florida after our cruise (usually in March) and then return to Spring in Maine.

We are avid Caribbean/Bahamas cruisers who have a passion for the Caribbean/Bahamian islands.

We love enjoying the warmth of the Caribbean/Bahamas after a Maine winter. Boarding a ship in Florida and feeling the sun and breezes is so relaxing and visiting the islands is always interesting for us- as we explore on excursions. For more warmth, we stay a few days in Florida after our cruise (usually in March) and then return to Spring in Maine.

I hear you! There are times when you just want to open your arms and let the sun seep right into the bones! We can't even wait for the Spring - to break up the Winter and remind ourselves what the sun is all about we booked an eastern Caribbean cruise for the first week in January. Maine is a great state though - we've spent much time in the Bar Harbor area in particular.

I believe it's the Jone's Act you're referring to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Act_of_1920

This one really galls many folks. It totally failed in its intent (to protect American ship building and mandate they be crewed by Americans) and its repercussions resulted in a situation that prevents port hops between American cities without a foreign stop. I'd love to take a cruise from Boston down the East Coast and back again, for instance. On the legislative side no Congress would overturn the act because of its protectionist orientation even though the realities have taken away Americans ability to choose and cruise :(

There have been efforts to build a ship that would comply with the act but they flopped.

Jones Act (Merchant Marine Act) regulates cargo.

Passenger Vessel Services Act regulates transportation of passengers.

http://www.maritimelawcenter.com/html/the_jones_act.html

Jones Act (Merchant Marine Act) regulates cargo.

Passenger Vessel Services Act regulates transportation of passengers.

http://www.maritimelawcenter.com/html/the_jones_act.html

Thanks for your link, I've booked mark it. Some of the ship Captains are unaware of the distinction. It's come up at several "ask the crew" sessions on board, they always just used Jones Act.

What's your opinion, would you like to see a change?

I know what you mean. We flew to Florida 2 days early for our Panama Canal cruise and stayed at a resort on the beach (I wanted to see our ship sail in). :) So we had one full day to get over our jet lag, walk on the beach, relax, etc. It was nice but one day was enough - by the end of the day I was thoroughly bored and ready to get on our ship.

Great point! DW & I are not really sun worshipers and our stays on the beach are generally of limited duration - in the water, maybe some snorkeling, a walk along the water and/or a cold beer under a bar hut. But, what the beach experience is really all about for us is the water, the horizon, watching the people and the passing boats or ships. All that can be done from the deck of a cruise ship and, if we're lucky a visit from a dolphin or other sea life. And when the urge to step away for a diversion hits, it's a matter of a few steps (no bus, no taxi, no commute time at all).

Remember, in those old movies, the crowds along the docks waving and cheering at each other as the ship pulled away?

That may not happen any more but sail-aways still hold a magic of their own. The excitement of the beginning of a new adventure, the relief of leaving cares behind. I also rather revel in the sometimes awe inspiring usually delightful, but always interesting, views of whatever harbor we may be exiting. Boston's Harbor Islands, NYC's skyline and bridges, FLL / Miami's vibrant waterways, etc, etc. My personal favorite is the grand-dame, Boston - maybe because it's home port.

Anyone else have a favorite?