What fuels your cruising obsession?

AquaAdventurer

Cruise Critics is something of a unique group, maybe even a subculture, of the general population. And it seems to be growing - 77% over the last ten years! But, who are we and why are we either on a cruise, planning a cruise, or talking/writing about a cruise?

The cruising community is a very diverse group but united in the desire to get into a ship and sail away somewhere - anywhere! Beyond that, though, are there other shared reasons? I don’t want to prejudice responses by focusing on any of my reasons though they will become apparent if this thread moves ahead.

The pure magnitude of the CC audience seems to be a perfect forum for addressing, exploring and understanding why we love the experience so much. I am intriged about how others feel and would love to share ideas.

Any sharers out there?

cruise-shipsmall.jpg

Now that we're retired and can take longer cruises we're working on our "bucket list". So far we've crossed off Australia / NZ, Panama Canal, and Great Britain (with some Norway and Iceland mixed in). Hopefully the Mediterranean will be next - has to include a port where we can go to Pompeii.

Now that we're retired and can take longer cruises we're working on our "bucket list". So far we've crossed off Australia / NZ, Panama Canal, and Great Britain (with some Norway and Iceland mixed in). Hopefully the Mediterranean will be next - has to include a port where we can go to Pompeii.

Retired works for us as well. The pace has been picking up over the past few years. I'd like to do another Med cruise - east or west. One of our favorite cruises was to the Baltic. The beautiful Scandinavian cities, the wonderful scenery, and even (especially, for a history major) Russia's St. Petersburg. There's so much more to entice us that I can never see a point where it becomes staid.

Just being on a ship on the ocean/sea is enough for me, though. The vastness of the ocean never gets old and always help to sooth the inner soul.

I love to be at sea. Just sit and relax and enjoy myself

Sitting there, whether on the promenade or inside an observation area, with a view of the ocean is contentment enough for me. There's something about being in the middle of nowhere that is so comforting. Away from all things contemporary, the car, the responsibilities, the phone, the TV - all of it. And not thinking about what to make for lunch or dinner. Why am I not, this minute, on a cruise :confused:

We love the thrill of being aboard a ship, the ease of visiting distant ports and the wonderful people we meet during each voyage.

Jonathan

While I would sail to nowhere any day, many cruises were planned with destinations in mind. As a History major how could it be otherwise I suppose. To make real what had always been in the imagination only has been eye opening. Sometimes the experience fell short of the expectation but hey, that's life, and there is value in seeing the reality. Often, the reality surprised and surpassed the expectation. Either way, keeping an open mind and a tolerant attitude you're rarely disappointed.

For us, it's not so much the being at sea, but being able to visit numerous places on one holiday. Then going back to the ones you liked at a later date for a longer stay. Knowing that you'll definitely love it.

If there is a shortcoming to cruising - and I'm not willing to admit that, it might be that we never seem to spend enough time at a port-of-call. It's a tease! You may well research the heck out of a destination only to be frustrated that the time was so limited. We often add days to the beginning or end of a cruise in order to really experience the area. Cruising allows us the ability to sample a place and decide if it merits more time - personally can't think of a place that wasn't worth spending more than six or eight hours in.

I really love so many things about cruising.

But the biggest that I can think of is that I feel such FREEDOM when onboard. I can leave behind anything stressful.

I don't think there's a med that would work better for me than a cruise! Part of being out to sea is the physical break with whatever responsibilities that sometimes feel so oppressive. I think there's also an element of renewal involved - a reset button. Then, when things start to get to us again, we can just start planning and thinking about the next cruise!

We took our first cruise in 2013 and it was for transportation back from a long land trip in New Zealand & Australia. I really didn't expect to like it so much, I just really don't like long flights so booked a cruise.

Apparently I liked it. :D

There is nothing like the peace of being out to sea with nothing but the water and the sky surrounding you.

I also discovered very early on that we prefer rear facing afts so that is all I book.

If there is a shortcoming to cruising - and I'm not willing to admit that, it might be that we never seem to spend enough time at a port-of-call. It's a tease! You may well research the heck out of a destination only to be frustrated that the time was so limited. We often add days to the beginning or end of a cruise in order to really experience the area. Cruising allows us the ability to sample a place and decide if it merits more time - personally can't think of a place that wasn't worth spending more than six or eight hours in.

We've liked or loved every port we've been too. But only the ones we loved are on our list to go back and visit properly. All the others are a case of been there, done it, got the t shirt. One example..we had been thinking for years about doing a 2 week AI holiday to Jamaica. But, we ended up doing a Caribbean cruise first which stopped there. After a nice day in port we got back on ship and both said "Nice day, but wouldn't want to do 2 wks here". Doing that cruise saved us thousands of pounds.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

We took our first cruise in 2013 and it was for transportation back from a long land trip in New Zealand & Australia. I really didn't expect to like it so much, I just really don't like long flights so booked a cruise.

Apparently I liked it. :D

There is nothing like the peace of being out to sea with nothing but the water and the sky surrounding you.

I also discovered very early on that we prefer rear facing afts so that is all I book.

Thank goodness you found that you enjoyed cruising - no options once you're out their on the waves. I envy what must have been a lengthy trip! More water under you and around you than anywhere else on the planet :eek:

Haven't cruised the South Pacific yet, would love to. I did spend a year and a half on Guam while in the service. I remember getting off the plane from the States, it felt like someone slapped me in the face with a warm facecloth. It took a couple of months to get acclimated but I came to enjoy that area. I love looking out over the ocean and watching the storms pass by the island - or right over my head. Being caught in a shower was no problem, warm raindrops and it dried up fast. Oh my, I'm getting nostalgic.

DW and I have come to love the stern area of the ship. The breeze is calmer and the view just as lovely - and even wider than other areas.

We've liked or loved every port we've been too. But only the ones we loved are on our list to go back and visit properly. All the others are a case of been there, done it, got the t shirt. One example..we had been thinking for years about doing a 2 week AI holiday to Jamaica. But, we ended up doing a Caribbean cruise first which stopped there. After a nice day in port we got back on ship and both said "Nice day, but wouldn't want to do 2 wks here". Doing that cruise saved us thousands of pounds.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I can understand about Jamaica. DW didn't even want to get off the ship when we were there - bad press.

I often feel uncomfortable in poorer areas . . . ugly American syndrome I suppose. At the same time, tourism is often a critical resource to the local economies. Widening one's perspective is healthy though. An aside if you will allow: growing up, my son always thought American was the be all and end all of the world. Eventually, his job took him to many places in Europe and suddenly he's talking about their travel infrastructure, the local markets, the pace of life. Then he starts toying with the idea of moving to the ancestral home in Italy and wondering if he can obtain Italian citizenship. Knowledge and experience will do that to a person :D

Hey, I'm 67 and there's more behind than ahead. I'm retired and I want to make the most of time, precious time - an ever expiring personal resource!

I find Land-Based holidays really dull since starting cruising. I love the fact you can have a quiet or fun-packed day on a cruise whether you are at sea or in port. I love visiting places and sampling a taster of an area/country :)

I also love the effort the staff put into making sure that you have an amazing break. The effort just always seems to outshine any land-based holiday which would cost the same as a cruise fare :)

AquaAdventurer,

I just wanted to say thanks for starting this great thread. DW and I enjoy cruising and try to do it as often as possible.

I especially like your comment about "I want to make the most of time, precious time - an ever expiring personal resource!" I feel this way as well. Hopefully, we will all have many more years to travel.

Merry Christmas and happy cruising in the new year!

For me it's the only way to ensure a holiday abroad as I will NEVER board a plane.:eek:

I can talk myself into flying if necessary - though the arguments between me, myself and I are getting more heated :D

There has to be a market for a company other than Cunard to begin regular transatlantic commuter routes again. Wouldn't need all the frills of a regular cruise experience just reasonable fares, comfortable staterooms, nice public areas, some activities and decent meals - 5 (maybe 4) days either way.

We need an alternative to the airline industry to serve those in the public who don't like to (can't or won't) fly and can see the value of a quiet ocean voyage. With adequate Internet coverage many workers could easily conduct business on a ship for a few days.

AquaAdventurer,

I just wanted to say thanks for starting this great thread. DW and I enjoy cruising and try to do it as often as possible.

I especially like your comment about "I want to make the most of time, precious time - an ever expiring personal resource!" I feel this way as well. Hopefully, we will all have many more years to travel.

Merry Christmas and happy cruising in the new year!

I certainly hope so! There is much beauty and wonder in the world yet, but it's often obscured by media (news - paper-Internet-video, TV shows, and movies). We rarely watch TV any more, now it's mostly reading, watching the grandkids, trying to find low stress, yet fun, activities to occupy our time. While I confess we do spend much time on the Internet, it's mostly to keep up to date with family and friends on FB, read about cruises or plan for the next one - and study up on the places we'll be visiting. Full disclosure: I do play a couple of games and I like to write.

I think if we cross paths we might have some enjoyable discussions.

Look forward to checking out Nancy's Oasis!

Here's wishing you and Nancy a great holiday season and a wonderful 2015!

- - Paul

I wish I had found cruising sooner. I love to travel and do so a lot for my career, but being on a ship is the most relaxing way I have found to visit places I wanted to see.

I love that the ship is a resort -- nice rooms, great service, food I can't make for myself, art galleries, entertainment -- what more could I want. Plus, I get to treat that ship like a floating hotel -- only unpack once!

I love booking ship excursions...I can visit and see islands and places I may not be comfortable seeing on my own. I love meeting new people (who are always happy because they too are on holiday). I adore being able to eat "out" and try new foods without dishes. I love that it is stress free and cost effecient. No car rentals, taxis, or running for late flights.

But most of all - I love it is the one trip I can still say to my boss -- "sorry, no internet!" and completly unplug.

I find Land-Based holidays really dull since starting cruising. I love the fact you can have a quiet or fun-packed day on a cruise whether you are at sea or in port. I love visiting places and sampling a taster of an area/country :)

I also love the effort the staff put into making sure that you have an amazing break. The effort just always seems to outshine any land-based holiday which would cost the same as a cruise fare :)

I know what you mean. We flew to Florida 2 days early for our Panama Canal cruise and stayed at a resort on the beach (I wanted to see our ship sail in). :) So we had one full day to get over our jet lag, walk on the beach, relax, etc. It was nice but one day was enough - by the end of the day I was thoroughly bored and ready to get on our ship.

I wish I had found cruising sooner. I love to travel and do so a lot for my career, but being on a ship is the most relaxing way I have found to visit places I wanted to see.

I love that the ship is a resort -- nice rooms, great service, food I can't make for myself, art galleries, entertainment -- what more could I want. Plus, I get to treat that ship like a floating hotel -- only unpack once!

I love booking ship excursions...I can visit and see islands and places I may not be comfortable seeing on my own. I love meeting new people (who are always happy because they too are on holiday). I adore being able to eat "out" and try new foods without dishes. I love that it is stress free and cost effecient. No car rentals, taxis, or running for late flights.

But most of all - I love it is the one trip I can still say to my boss -- "sorry, no internet!" and completly unplug.

I enjoyed, and certainly identify with, your enthusiastic reasons :) I sometimes wonder how anyone could feel any different after taking a cruise:confused: To those masses who have overlooked or felt skittish about taking a cruise I have to say, "Give it a try, you may be so very pleasantly surprised!" Every ship has the potential of being a little like Disney on the water - at least one of the parks. If it seems that you and I may be gushing a tad much - how can that be so if we really feel that way?

--Paul

My motivation for cruising is to see as much of the world as I can while I am still healthy enough and still have enough funds to travel. I worked hard for many years, and saved up for the time when I would have the free time to travel.

IMO, cruising is the best way to get to whichever part of the world I decide to go to ...... to me, a ship is a floating 4-5 star hotel that provides great service, comfortable accommodations, my food and entertainment, and best of all .... it stops at the most interesting places along the way!

Many years ago we took our first cruise. It would be a good way to visit many places and maybe find an island where we would like to spend a week or two for vacation.

After getting back, we found our perfect island. It was the one that we were sailing around on. We were hooked and have spent many days and weeks on our island getaways. :cool: