New Koningsdam Ship Discrimnates Against Families with a Disabled Child

Austin Family

As a parent of a child living with a disability I am sensitive to this family’s dilemma. 15+ years into this experience and there are still challenges that are new and I never anticipated. Yes, there are certainly 2 passenger modified cabins on every ship. Those will not work for this family, 2 parents + child using wheelchair. I would suggest that the poster contact HAL and see what can be worked out. Perhaps some furniture / closets can be temporarily removed from a 2 passenger modified cabin to accommodate the child living with a disability. The "well, book a suite" response doesn't sit well with me. Of course there are individuals and organizations that are discriminatory, but for the most part the disconnect is just because not many people have been in my shoes. It is my experience that most people are compassionate, generous and really willing to do whatever reasonable to accommodate our situation. It just takes time and a calm, reasoned dialog.

As a parent of a child living with a disability I am sensitive to this family’s dilemma. 15+ years into this experience and there are still challenges that are new and I never anticipated. Yes, there are certainly 2 passenger modified cabins on every ship. Those will not work for this family, 2 parents + child using wheelchair. I would suggest that the poster contact HAL and see what can be worked out. Perhaps some furniture / closets can be temporarily removed from a 2 passenger modified cabin to accommodate the child living with a disability. The "well, book a suite" response doesn't sit well with me. Of course there are individuals and organizations that are discriminatory, but for the most part the disconnect is just because not many people have been in my shoes. It is my experience that most people are compassionate, generous and really willing to do whatever reasonable to accommodate our situation. It just takes time and a calm, reasoned dialog.

There is a faint possibility that they might remove furniture that is not screwed down. It is unreasonable and you can hardly expect them to remove a closet.

DON

There is a faint possibility that they might remove furniture that is not screwed down. It is unreasonable and you can hardly expect them to remove a closet.

DON

Agree. May be reasonable to remove a piece or two of furniture but to tear down closets, etc. - I seriously doubt it.

Sorry, I don't see how this will help. The only piece of furniture that could be removed is the love seat and that is where a third person would sleep. The ocean view cabins we have stayed in I don't think would accomodate a wheel chair, not even a childs. I think the suggestion to call and talk to HAL is most likely the OP's option. I don't think even a motified cabin would help. An ocean view cabin just isn't big enough to accomodate three.

I hope the OP comes back and lets us know the outcome.

One good thing is that the sailing is over a year away so there is time to make adjustments

Edited by Hflors

Yes, those are good points. The original poster said “child” so I was thinking it wouldn't be as tight a fit as it would be with an adult as a 3rd passenger. Holland America knows what is possible, or not, in terms of temporary modifications to a cabin. The point I was trying to make, subtlety, and I guess unsuccessfully, is coming on Cruise Critic making accusations of discrimination might be premature. I understand the poster’s frustration and have given into it many times myself, but truly, I think it is quite possible that Holland America can offer them some choices. They aren't sailing next week. It’s possible there are some 2 passenger accessible cabins that are still available and can work with a child as a 3rd passenger. Or even better that the deck plans aren't exactly accurate yet and a 3 person modified cabin does truly exist. Just like 2 parents with a child who isn't using a wheel chair, I think this family could have options other than booking a suite. Again, the sail date is pretty far out.