Panama Canal Pics

Oakman58

A few pics from our full transit of the canal on November 13th.

Before entering the canal a member of the Panama Canal Authority boarded our ship for the purpose of explaining the history of the canal and what we were seeing as the ship went through the locks and the canal. His play by play was piped over the ship’s P.A. system and the ship’s closed circuit television channel. We entered the canal very early in the morning and soon the Bridge of the Americas came into view.

Photo1_zps03079a1d.jpg

The bow of deck 8, which is normally closed to passengers, was open for our trip through the canal.

Photo1_1_zpsd116f7ae.jpg

A container ship was entering the left lane of the Mira Flores locks as we entered the right lane.

Photo3_zps8c233465.jpg

Tug boats were standing by in case the Star need maneuvering assistance entering the lock.

Photo2_zps9b5c90fe.jpg

Construction on the new set of locks, planned for completion in 2016, was easily seen from our ship.

Photo4_zpsbeb9d326.jpg

One of the massive gates for the new set of locks.

Photo5_zpse44816ca.jpg

More Pics

Electric locomotives (mules) are used for braking and side to side control in the locks.

Photo6_zps37a8a54e.jpg

Photo7_zps1343acc1.jpg

Leaving the locks and entering the canal.

Photo8_zps712abac7.jpg

For those who needed a break from the elements (it was hot), progress of the ship could be followed on the big screen in the Atrium or on the closed circuit TV channel in their rooms.

Photo9_zps09209c33.jpg

Not surprisingly there was quite a bit of large ship traffic in the canal.

Photo12_zpsea63d14f.jpg

More pics

Entering the Gatun Locks on the Atlantic side of the canal.

Photo13_zps6e015988.jpg

A view from the bow on deck 8.

Photo14_zps19d4d10a.jpg

Viewing space on the front of the ship was somewhat limited...well, except for the balconies of the front suites.

Photo11_zpsd2278764.jpg

While deck 8 was open, refreshments and fresh fruit was available to passengers.

Photo10_zpsd500a761.jpg

A view of the locks from the rear of the ship. Personally I thought this view was every bit as interesting and much less crowded.

Photo15_zpse8aaca59.jpg

As we departed the final lock our ship got tangled in the cable from the "mule" and stripped it from the locomotive and into the canal. A tug boat had to come by to retrieve the cable from the ship causing a slight delay.

Photo16_zpsb8c3bcb5.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

Have a couple questions, what time did u start going through the locks and did u leave from LA or Miami? Thanks

Our cruise on the Star was from L.A. to Miami.

We passed Balboa around 5:30 AM and as I recall the bow of deck 8 was opened to passengers around 6:30 AM. We arrived at the MiraFlores lock around 8 AM. Our ship was delayed in the second lock as there was a medical evacuation from our ship.

Loved loved loved THOSE pictures you took - they just make the Panama Canal cruising look interesting and fun. They were just a few pictures but each one was so interesting. Including the topless next door.

Panama Canal is on my Bucket List but somewhat not on my husband's. I cannot understand why.

I dragged my husband and got him to see the pics. He asked afterwards if I still want to do it. I said yes - it's on my bucket list after you die. He cracked up.

Edited by bluesea777

Me and the Lovely wife were on the same cruise, loved the certificate as well. We were fortunate to have one of those forward facing suites which keep us out of the sun for most of the morning locks on pacific side.

If you are crossing through the canal and have the ability to do a forward facing it is really worth it to have a spectacular view without the crowd.

The day we did our transit of the Panama Canal this certificate was pushed under our cabin door. I thought it was a cute and unexpected touch.

IMG_8709-Copy_zps242a3d8e.jpg

Nice touch. This will look great framed and on the home office wall:cool:.

Vic

The day we did our transit of the Panama Canal this certificate was pushed under our cabin door. I thought it was a cute and unexpected touch.

IMG_8709-Copy_zps242a3d8e.jpg

You're fortunate to get a certificate. We did a Panama Canal transit on the Star in October 2013 and did not get a certificate.

We also did a transit of the canal on the Sun in 2006.. Because I'd had my photo taken during the transit by roving ship photographer I was able to purchase my photo listing the transit. No other souvenir was provided.

Edited by NMLady

Thank you so much for the great "preview"of what we can expect in April 2015

Nice touch with fruit and refreshments on the forward deck - we cruised Alaska with RCL and was so disappointed that they did not have a cart on deck serving hot beverages. These touches make such a difference,

I suspect we be some of the crowd sitting in Spinakkers or lounge with cold Margaritas in hand :D if the weather is too humid .

My DH is so excited - heading out to find a book/s about the Canal to put under the Christmas Tree !! ( Good thing he does not go on here..lol )

Cheers

Huggs

• 3 weeks later...