To Dunn's or not to Dunn's- that is the ? or Blue Hole Instead?

PamIam

To Dunn's or not to Dunn's- that is the ? or Blue Hole Instead?

Working on tours for our upcoming cruise stop in Falmouth and need advice!

Last time we were docked near Montego there was road construction, so Dunn's was not a sensible option. I know it's on many people's must do Jamaica's list, but the idea of holding hands walking up a waterfall that takes 60 - 90 minutes with a mass amount of fellow tourists seems to me distracting from the natural beauty of the falls. We are looking at hiring a driver so realistically we could go to both - Dunn's and the Blue Hole. But the admission fee is $20 pp at Dunn's opposed to $10 pp at the Blue Hole. Should we do both or should we just choose 1 and have a more leisurely day.

We will be able to jump, swim and swing at the blue hole which our 2 adult children will love. I've heard that swimming at Dunn's is not permitted.

So please advise either WAY! Thanks!:D

but the idea of holding hands walking up a waterfall that takes 60 - 90 minutes with a mass amount of fellow tourists seems to me distracting from the natural beauty of the falls.

As I've said many times you are NOT REQUIRED to join a conga line and hold hands ... that IS how the typical cruise line excursion works but that is NOT required. Your $20 is for a full day's admission to the park and you may climb at your own pace, as many times as you want. Guides work for tips and are not required. For first timers I recommend a guide for your first climb but NOT in a big group .. get your own. When I take a group, we wing it.

see the people on the left? Conga Line ... my gang is going up the middle

drf8.jpg

I've heard that swimming at Dunn's is not permitted.

not true ... DRF is on the shore and there is a beach at the foot of the falls .... swimming is most certainly permitted. Along the falls there are several pools and they are not really big enough or deep enough to support 'swimming' but you can play and jump to your heart's content ....

Chillin' in a pool along the way ... behind us is the Conga Line

drf9.jpg

The 'top' of the falls ... or as far up as you are allowed to go .... for the Conga Line this is the exit . . but you can start here and climb DOWN ... BE DIFFERENT!

drf2.jpg

Comments:

* the ship tours, especially for a ship in Ocho, arrive early with their masses, do one climb then leave. By noon DRF is typically almost empty and climbing is much more fun.

* while I am a DRF fan (been there many times since the mid 80's .. JA was in my patrol area for nearly 15 years) I would not sit in a van or bus for over an hour to get there . . .

* over the years ships I was on visited Ocho many times for R&R. We'd be in port for a couple of days and DRF was a popular place for the crew. Trust me .... the 18 to 25 year old boys who made up a large part of the crew were not interested in guides or holding hands ..... the guys doing backflips off ledges into the pools made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

queen o' the falls .. rock climber ... rock climb with a twist

drf4.jpg

Edited by Capt_BJ

I was at Dunn's this past Monday. Lockers are available for $8, but you get $3 back after you return...so basically $5. They are pretty big and we shared with another couple that was in our tour group. Shoes were available for rent for $10 outside the gate. Then, when we got inside the gate, we saw a booth that was selling shoes for $10. So, I would think it would be better to buy than to rent. But, we brought our own. I didn't want to rent water shoes...seems yucky. Also, the ones for sale were green and black, which isn't really my style.

On the way out, you will have to pass through a pretty aggressive market. It's hard to be polite and friendly when they are SO persistent. In the end, my husband got trapped and ended up with some trinkets he didn't want, but at least it only cost him $5 :)

Irie Blue Hole kicks Dunn's butt! :p

It is very peaceful, extremely beautiful and does not get the huge herds of tourists. The guides there are terrific. You can jump from various heights into the pools of water, but do not have to. You can access the water without the jumping. There are places where you can also swing out on a rope into the water.

I've done Dunn's River Falls and the Blue Hole, and I would take the Blue Hole over Dunn's River Falls any day!

My husband and I just came back from Jamaica. We booked the tour with Peat's Tours. In the morning we went tubing, and for the second part of the trip we did the Blue Hole. We had such a fun day!! The Blue Hole is BEAUTIFUL. It feels more natural, less touristy. You can jump, climb, swing, swim, or just take beautiful scenic photographs. It's not even a close race between the two places, in my opinion.

Edited by Nayola

Really appreciate the feedback! CCers are always in the know :D While ideally we would do both, I think we will bypass the morning crush at DRF and proceed to the blue hole first and then later in the day when the masses have quieted down - DRF . Our guide is recommending Blue Hole for our family of nature lovers. Our 2 adults kids will have a blast jumping and swinging. I'll be happy to enjoy that beautiful water! Our lakes don't look like that in Wisconsin :p

We were debating too but decided to do both. They are pretty close to each other as I understand it.

Regardless if DRF is the standard touristy thing it is a must do as I have been told multiple times.

I mean would you go to Paris and not go to the Eifel Tower? :)

Blue Hole all the way!!!

Skip Dunns River and you will be glad you did.

Blue Hole is amazingly beautiful. We did a tour in June with Libertytoursjamaicadotcom(look it up on TripAdvisor) and they customized a private tour for our party of 20. Prices were great and they treat you like family. We had a great time and it was the highlight of our entire cruise!!!! We swam, jumped off cliffs, and had the sweetest guides that were so patient and helpful with our group of all ages. Afterwards we had an awesome authentic lunch at Scotchies. Bring your water shoes, towel and get ready for a great time! Don't forget to tip them well they deserve every penny! You can also see videos on you tube.

Enjoy your time and have fun!!

Blue Hole all the way!!!

Blue Hole is amazingly beautiful. We did a tour in June with Libertytoursjamaicadotcom(look it up on TripAdvisor) and they customized a private tour for our party of 20. Prices were great and they treat you like family. We had a great time and it was the highlight of our entire cruise!!!! We swam, jumped off cliffs, and had the sweetest guides that were so patient and helpful with our group of all ages. Afterwards we had an awesome authentic lunch at Scotchies. Bring your water shoes, towel and get ready for a great time! Don't forget to tip them well they deserve every penny! You can also see videos on you tube.

Thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Falls in October and loved it. We had an awesome tour guide, I cant remember her name but she is the only female tour guide. She carried at least 6 cameras/ phones and stopped many times to take pictures of the group, she knew exactly where to pose people for the best pictures. We have great pictures of the 2 of us that we would not have had , if she didnt take them. We started off doing the conga line but quickly people broke off and everyone just helped those that needed it. The market at the end is very agrressive and a little overwhelming , you just need to keep walking and say no, no , no

We did the DRF on a land vacation back in 2002 and we thought it was a great adventure. During our Feb cruise this year, we went to the Blue Hole. I am glad I did the Falls first because now I have knee issues. There is no way I could climb the falls now. At the Blue Hole, I pretty much stood around and watched all the younger people having fun. The Blue Hole is very pretty and more serence. We too booked with Peat Tours.

We asked them to take us for some Jerk chicken after the tour. We stopped at the Jerk Chicken Center. As I sat down I saw a Trip Advisor placque and that put a smile on my face. We were at the right place!

Blue Hole all the way!!!

I also HIGHLY recommend LIBERTYTOURSJAMAICA.

This by far was the BEST tour our group has ever done. We have been to Dunn's Falls in the past and there is NO comparison! The BLUE HOLE is 1000 times better!!! You will not find the cattle call of ship passengers here. It is very peaceful, not to mention drop dead gorgeous, you go at your own pace, there is no rushing to get through exploring this lush piece of a hidden gem. I am booked again with Libertytours on my upcoming cruise, and hopefully CC members from our ROLL CALL will be joining us.

Here is the YouTube video posted on LTJ website.

Edited by sundayb
adding video

Having done both, I can not recommend Blue Hole more highly. We had a group excursion through Marva/Javia Shaw and it was top-notch! Completely changed my mind about Jamaica since I was very disappointed in my visit to Dunn's the first time I went.

When our ship stopped in Falmouth in July of 2013, we visited the Blue Hole. Everyone had a blast. I just want to warn you about the time it takes to get to the Blue Hole from Falmouth - 1 hour 20 minutes (at least). We passed Dunns River Falls at the one hour mark. Some people might not want to travel that far. My husband was worried the whole time about getting back to the ship, but there were no problems.