Travel Documents and Booking Invoice.....

Sailing in 12 days and just want to make sure of a couple of things.....

1. My wife was married once before so her marriage license to me has her previous married name on it. So her birth certificate shows one name and the marriage license shows a second and her drivers license shows her current name. Should I be concerned that this won't be accepted?

2. I don't recall getting a itemized invoice and my cruise is paid in full. I know what's shown on the RCCL website for my account, but will I get an itemized invoice? Do I need to do the online check-in first?

Edited by GarnetFan8

You should do the online check-in, and print out the set sail pass, makes check-in at the pier faster. To obtain an invoice call RCL, give them your booking # and they will email you an invoice.

Edited by Mac303

This is funny as I watched the Oasis "mega cruise" special last night (shows some of what happens during the 12 hour disembark/embark process) and one of the things they showed is someone who had almost this exact issue.

I'd call to be sure, but bring everything regardless (marriage cert, birth certificate, current ID). In the show the person had to have a birth certificate faxed to supplement the marriage cert. If last names don't match it seems like there is no such thing as having too much documentation.

Edited by JasonV1

This is funny as I watched the Oasis "mega cruise" special last night (shows some of what happens during the 12 hour disembark/embark process) and one of the things they showed is someone who had almost this exact issue.

I'd call to be sure, but bring everything regardless (marriage cert, birth certificate, current ID). In the show the person had to have a birth certificate faxed to supplement the marriage cert. If last names don't match it seems like there is no such thing as having too much documentation.

I have her birth certificate, marriage license, and driver's license that I planned on bringing in the first place. Her middle name is the same on all 3. I don't see any way that there would be an issue but wanted to get some input. On 2 other Carnival cruises, we were able to go and I believe this was the only documentation I brought at that time as well. Thanks for the response.

Let's say YOU had changed your name twice. You would know to bring the legal documentation for each change, yes? Or let's say my husband had done so; you would likely want HIM to have that documentation, to make sure he is who he says he is. :)

So your wife should, even if not asked for it (and if I had my way they WOULD ask for it every time), bring all the legal documentation for each change. IMO that would mean the first name change documentation as well, not just the marriage license to you showing that there *had* been a change in there.

All easy for me to say, as neither DH nor I chose to change names. But also easy for me to see from the outside; why should American women (specifying that group because it's so common here, but it's not across all cultures) be given carte blanche to change names at will without showing ALL legal documentation? We sure would want men to prove that they were the same person now as at birth, after two legal name changes... :cool:

My Wife had the same issues, Maiden, Previous Marriage & Current Last Names.

In 2006 we knew we were going to do a lot of crusing. So we both got Passports.

Passport is our defining identification document...

Dennis & Sue

I agree. Would passport not solve alk these issues? That said, do you have time to get a passport. When my wife and i did our first cruise, all her stuff was maiden name so we booked the cruise under her maiden name. Your situation is a bit more complicated though.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

I'm confused. As a Canadian, I have to have a passport to even go to the U.S. (didn't used to be that way) How can anyone go on a cruise that goes to three different countries and not have to take a passport with them? I thought the ability to get off the ship and leave your passport in your safe was based on the passport being shown when you first embarked in the U.S. and the cruiseline essentially vouching for you.

What about all those threads about people getting left behind at port and needing a passport in order to catch a flight in order to catch up with the ship?

We have passports and never asked for them going into Canada but coming back to the States we do. Haber, why many tell you a Passport isn't needed on close loop cruises, it is preparing for the unforseen problems of having to fly back to the States should you either miss the ship or a family emergency arises that is important to have a Passport. We carry our PP at all times on cruises, so we are prepared and make copies of all credit cards PP's etc. It is much easier to pull out a requested document then to stand and say Oops I should have brought it.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

The reason that person had a problem boarding is because she booked the cruise in her new married name. She didn't have a single legal document with that name on it. If her drivers license had matched the name she booked under, there would have been no problem

Because your marriage certificate doesn't show your wife's maiden name, I would recommend a bridging document for your wife to cover the change from maiden name to first married name. If she can get a copy of the marriage licence or certificate for her first marriage, that should do it. That way you have a chain of documentation from maiden name to current name. When you have a bit more time after this cruise, I'd also recommend a passport, so she won't have this issue in the future.

Edited by lisiamc

I agree. Would passport not solve alk these issues? That said, do you have time to get a passport. When my wife and i did our first cruise, all her stuff was maiden name so we booked the cruise under her maiden name. Your situation is a bit more complicated though.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forums mobile app

We leave in 11 days, so no I don't have time for a passport. We've already discussed it and she intends to get one after this cruise. She may be able to dig up her divorce papers and we can take a copy of that also.