I did not do my homework on Early Saver.

Admin

I booked ES for april. They are now offering a super saver guaranty rate less. Kinda, sorta ticks me off. I wouldn't give up my prime spot room on lido, but was really hoping for a price drop. Kind of wonder if ES is ever worth the risk.

You can swap your ES for the Super Saver GTY at no cost. But like you said, you will not be able to choose your cabin and any further rate drops for ES you are not eligible. And if you weren't happy with the ES rate you booked, why did you book it? There is always the possibility with the ES rate you booked it will be the cheapest rate for a selected cabin up to sail date.

I have a booking that I did 13 months in advance. I doubt I will see the rate fall below that but I am very happy with what I paid. And if it doesn't fall, I will enjoy the cruise.

I have a booking that I did 13 months in advance. I doubt I will see the rate fall below that but I am very happy with what I paid. And if it doesn't fall, I will enjoy the cruise.
You make a good point here. I was happy with the rate I paid. The ES rate was the lowest and I didn't expect it to go lower. I booked an OS suite. There were only a few available when I booked and I doubted there would be any price drop because there would be no trouble selling them. I booked the ES because it was the least expensive but only by $15 pp, $45 for the three of us. Checking today and the military rate, which I qualify for, is the same price as the ES for the sailing. Had I researched it, I'd have seen the terms and conditions and probably booked the military rate then followed price drops, if any, until final payment was due then decided then if the rate I was paying was what I wanted to pay and canceled if I didn't want to pay it. For me, I didn't book because it was an ES rate. I booked that rate because it was the least expensive that day and I didn't anticipate having to cancel. I've never canceled a cruise in 30 years.

don't have to dig at all. There is a link below the ES option that says something like "Other Rates". It will show all that you are eligible for when you click it.

yes, I am aware where it is at but I consider that digging :)

its not like they show you all the rates side by side from the start

Unfortunately, I have no excuse. I've been a member of Cruise Critic for almost 14 years and I've worked here for over 8.

Read through this whole thread and just now realize you are an Admin on this site. LOL Also was happy to see - even before I paid attention to WHO was posting - that you took ownership of your mistake cause so many don't.

I also booked ES and had to change the date about 1 1/2 weeks later paying the $100 penalty, and this was booking 13 months out. Yes, I really did understand any penalty but I volunteer with a youth organization and due to their required schedule (had to work around school ending) I would have not been able to participate during December, which was my original cruise date. Really stupid as I am the one who sets their schedule. :o

I too booked Early Saver for a spring break cruise for March 2015 that I had to cancel. This is our 7th spring break cruise, all booked ES(except for this year's Royal Caribbean one). I think we had price drops on all of them, so it worked out well for us. Two months after I booked this one, I found out our school system moved the dates for spring break. No reason given, actually no announcement either, my friend just happened to be looking at the calendar. Cost us $150 to change and so far no price drops. In fact, the price has gone up as much as $420 per cabin. I doubt we'll see it go lower than what we paid. It seems like the "best" prices are guarantee cabins anyway. I'll probably still book ES in the future.

You can swap your ES for the Super Saver GTY at no cost. But like you said, you will not be able to choose your cabin and any further rate drops for ES you are not eligible. And if you weren't happy with the ES rate you booked, why did you book it? There is always the possibility with the ES rate you booked it will be the cheapest rate for a selected cabin up to sail date.

Yes, I know all this. And I didn't say I wasn't ok with the rate I paid. My point was carnival offers guarantee rates so that ES, which advertises lowest price, doesn't apply. And as I said, I don't want to give up the room I picked. :rolleyes:

We've booked with early saver nearly every cruise since it started. Nearly every time we have saved money by booking this way. Sure, there is that risk in case we might have to cancel - we could lose $50 each - but the fact that on this past September's cruise, I ended up with a $600 credit when the cruise started (all of it came up the last 6 weeks or so) - makes it worth that risk.

Yes, you DO need to know the rules and understand the risk - and I' know it's not for everybody - but for me, it works.

Yes, I know all this. And I didn't say I wasn't ok with the rate I paid. My point was carnival offers guarantee rates so that ES, which advertises lowest price, doesn't apply. And as I said, I don't want to give up the room I picked. :rolleyes:

I agree with this!

An advantage of booking early is securing the EXACT cabin you want.

Carnival has found a smart way to prevent those who booked ES to take advantage of price drops. "We will give you a price drop, BUT, you must give up your cabin assignment and take a guarantee!"

Last two cruises booked ES. No price drops yet, no OBC yet. It's a gamble. I've had some price drops and some OBC with ES in the past. Can't complain.

• 1 month later...

This is something else that those who don't do their homework beforehand don't seem to realize - you can get price drops on any "regular" rate up until final payment date.

It's only ES that allows you to apply for drops after final payment. So, you want a specific cabin 1-1/2 years before the cruise but are unsure if you might have to cancel? Book whatever rate you qualify for and check prices up until final payment.

That's what I do. I don't like the ES restrictions. After final payment, I stop checking prices. After all, I wouldn't have booked originally if I wasn't willing to pay the price at that time, so if I've managed to get a price drop in the meantime, that's great.

And, no, Carnival isn't trying to trick people into booking ES when they don't know the restrictions. And I don't think they're being misleading when they don't allow price drops to a guaranteed rate. They're two different animals. Geez, people, you just want it all, don't you? Not quite as bad about the people who get the free cruise offers and then complain that it isn't really free because they had to pay taxes and fees though! :rolleyes:

OP, just another good reason to have a good PVP at Carnival. That person could've explained the different fare codes and any restrictions.