1st Cruise RCCL Brilliance of the Seas - Tips?

LEMJMcC

Taking our first cruise next month, sailing out of Tampa on The Brilliance of the Seas for five nights. So I've been doing some reading on the forum - a great way to gather tips. I saw one post that stated to avoid a certain dining venue on embarkation day (day 1) at lunch due to the crowds. Can those who have taken a similar cruise comment on this? What would you recommend for that first day onboard? The wife and I are hoping to get aboard earlier enough to get a quick workout in before lunch, but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Also, for the second day, we are scheduled to stop at Key West. At what time does disembarkation start for that day? I'd like to schedule an hour-long massage for my wife and I'm considering 8:00 AM for it, would that interfere with the Key West shore excursion?

Since the MDR won't be open, the Windjammer (the main buffet) tends to get a tad congested. Being on board early can ease that problem, however since your cabin is not generally available until 1:30 you will have to contend with your carry on and everyone else will have theirs as well! I don't know if Rita's Cantina will be open for lunch on Day 1 or not, but you have to wade through the Windjammer to get there. You may wish to check out the Park Cafe located in the Solarium, it was not crowded when I was their around 1:30. Smaller selection of salad, soup and those Kummelweck sandwiches... mmm! (roast beef sand.) There are a few other items to choose from also.

I'll be sailing on Brilliance 1/17. It looks like we don't arrive in Key West until 11:30, so you should have plenty of time for a massage on that morning.

Sailing Itinerary

Date Port Arrive Depart Activity

17-Jan Tampa, Florida 4:00 PM

18-Jan Key West, Florida 11:30 AM 5:30 PM Docked

19-Jan Cruising Cruising

20-Jan Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

21-Jan Cruising Cruising

22-Jan Tampa, Florida 7:00 AM

Are you flying in or are you driving. If driving I wouldn't arrive until 1:00 - 1:30pm. That way you can dump your carryon in your stateroom. Then go to the Windjammer it most likely won't be crowded then.

We got off the Brilliance This past Nov. I really liked the ship.

Sometime during your cruise it's important to explore the area beyond the Windjammer through Rita's Cantina to access the outdoor seating. Many folks never find this area. Deck 14 is another area to check out if only for the elevator ride to see the fishermen.

I'll be sailing on Brilliance 1/17. It looks like we don't arrive in Key West until 11:30, so you should have plenty of time for a massage on that morning.

Sailing Itinerary

DatePortArrive Depart Activity

17-JanTampa, Florida 4:00 PM

18-JanKey West, Florida 11:30 AM 5:30 PMDocked

19-JanCruising Cruising

20-JanCozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 6:00 PMDocked

21-JanCruising Cruising

22-JanTampa, Florida 7:00 AM

We are taking the 4 day right after you on Jan 22. Any reviews would be appreciated, assuming that can be done immediately on return.

For embarkation lunch, you an also eat at Giovvanni's ($15 p.p.). We were on the Brilliance in October and did not need to do this as it was not THAT crowded.

It is a beautiful ship with outstanding entertainment in the theatre and musicians in the lounges. Try to make a point to hear each musician sometime during your cruise.

We especially enjoyed the pool in the Solarium. Warm salt water. We swam everyday!

Have a blast!

Taking our first cruise next month, sailing out of Tampa on The Brilliance of the Seas for five nights. So I've been doing some reading on the forum - a great way to gather tips. I saw one post that stated to avoid a certain dining venue on embarkation day (day 1) at lunch due to the crowds. Can those who have taken a similar cruise comment on this? What would you recommend for that first day onboard? The wife and I are hoping to get aboard earlier enough to get a quick workout in before lunch, but really don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Just some info.If possible be on the top deck, all the way forward, as you approach the SKYWAY bridge leaving Tampa Bay entering The Gulf of Mexico.It is usually about and hour and a half after you sail, and the bridge can be seen several miles before you go under it. There is only about 15 feet of clearance from the ships superstructure and the Captain will sound the horn as he passes under it. Bob The Villages Florida

Thanks in advance.

Brilliance was my first cruise out of Tampa too. Loved it. They said the ship was full but I never saw signs of that. No lines for anything. You will be addicted to cruising after this I promise. :)

We sailed on the Brilliance last year out of Tampa. For the first day we packed our swim suits in our carry on and got on early. We change into our swim suits and went straight to the Park Café in the Solarium and then relaxed by the Solarium pool until dinner time. Great start in the cruise.

For embarkation lunch, you an also eat at Giovvanni's ($15 p.p.). We were on the Brilliance in October and did not need to do this as it was not THAT crowded.

It is a beautiful ship with outstanding entertainment in the theatre and musicians in the lounges. Try to make a point to hear each musician sometime during your cruise.

We especially enjoyed the pool in the Solarium. Warm salt water. We swam everyday!

Have a blast!

I will be on the Brilliance in January (first time this class of ship) and very happy to hear at least this specialty restaurant will be open for lunch. Looking forward to having a nice relaxing lunch the first day of our cruise. :)

Sailing Itinerary

Date Port Arrive Depart Activity

17-Jan Tampa, Florida 4:00 PM

18-Jan Key West, Florida 11:30 AM 5:30 PM Docked

19-Jan Cruising Cruising

20-Jan Cozumel, Mexico 8:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

21-Jan Cruising Cruising

22-Jan Tampa, Florida 7:00 AM

Oh well, they don't offer a massage appointment that morning. I got her one later in the week.

Thanks for the info!

It will be busy around that peak lunchtime. I always embark as early as possible..usually around 11am. Park cafe is usually open around then i believe.

If you can find a copy of the cruise compass on these boards, it shows you what what resturants are open and when. If you want to get on and do a work out, I am guessing you will have the gym to yourself at that point.

I don't bring a carry on, so I don't have to worry about dragging it around for a few hours till the room is ready.

I head straight to the pool bar, find a great place to sit and drink and enjoy the sail away party....best advice I can give you.

My family just disembarked on Dec. 1. We boarded the ship around 11:30ish and wandered around a few minutes before we went to the Windjammer for lunch. The inside was crowded, but we headed straight out the back doors on the left and ate outside. It was pretty empty out there and we were able to get a nice table with cushioned chairs.

I was told by my TA to arrive at the port about 11:30 AM, but it sounds like we could get onboard at 11:00 AM, if so, at what time should we arrive at the terminal if we plan to use their valet parking? What's the earliest we could embark?

Thanks.

I was told by my TA to arrive at the port about 11:30 AM, but it sounds like we could get onboard at 11:00 AM, if so, at what time should we arrive at the terminal if we plan to use their valet parking? What's the earliest we could embark?

Thanks.

Getting there by 11AM usually gets you straight in before noon.