Aloha~! A Photo Trip Report of the POA - 10/11/14

Miicah

Anxiously awaiting for the remainder of the review. Leaving in 7 weeks. Really like that you have included the daily paper.

Yay, seven weeks! You're almost there! :) I figured the Freestyle might be helpful for some, so I asked our room steward for two copies, since we highlighted things we were interested in one of them, haha.

Day 11 – 10/14/14 – Hilo, The Big Island of Hawai’i

Despite the rainy reception we had coming into Hilo, we decided to have breakfast out on our balcony for a change. Well, technically I didn’t know it was going to rain the night before, which is when you have to fill out the breakfast card and hang it outside to be picked up during the night, but I was determined to follow through with my plan and just have it out there anyway haha. Our butler Jose delivered it at the specified time we chose.

DSC01808.jpg~original

DSC01809.jpg~original

It looks like they’re renovating the terminal building (or whatever that pier building is). I’m sure it’ll look nice when it’s done!

DSC01811.jpg~original

DSC01812.jpg~original

DSC01814.jpg~original

Today I booked us a tour with Mary Lou. She was super nice, friendly, and had lots of neat tidbits about how it is living in Hawaii after moving there from the mainland to be closer to one of her kids. She was also telling us how her house is in the path of the lava and how they were awaiting news about whether they had to evacuate, since the lava would go over the only road in and out of her area. I know I heard a while back that the lava had begun to move again, so I hope she and her family are doing okay!

Our first stop was at Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park.

DSC01817.jpg~original

Volcano House, a hotel built on an active volcano. I thought it was trippy enough to know that we were walking around on a volcano that could actually erupt at any time, but to sleep there for a night or more…craziness!

DSC01818.jpg~original

DSC01819.jpg~original

We saw several areas where smoke was rising up from the ground, which was sulfur coming up from gas vents that have opened up in the ground.

DSC01820.jpg~original

DSC01821.jpg~original

This is Halema’uma’u, an active vent on Kilauea, the active volcano we were walking around on.

DSC01822.jpg~original

DSC01825.jpg~original

The scientists actually drive on this road here to get close to the crater as part of their research.

DSC01826.jpg~original

DSC01829.jpg~original

Inside the museum, beside the mini Richter scale where you can jump and see your mini earthquake on paper, is their recording of when that huge earthquake brought a tsunami to Japan. I can’t imagine how the recording must look in Japan when it already looks massive all the way here in Hawaii.

DSC01837.jpg~original

The Big Island of Hawai’i is the only island with active volcanoes, as none of the volcanoes on the other islands are connected to the hotspot anymore.

DSC01838.jpg~original

DSC01842.jpg~original

If you ever need to get rid of wrinkles in your clothes (or get a free facial as Mary Lou put it, haha), you can stand by on the fenced sulfur vents—but it’s too hot to stand near for long periods of time.

DSC01849.jpg~original

Mary Lou told us that the dead leaves here are caused by the sulfur, so if you ever end up walking off the path here you should keep a look out for dead leaves, as that’s a sign that a hidden sulfur vent is nearby.

DSC01850.jpg~original

Views from the Kilauea Iki overlook. You can see Halema’uma’u in the distance.

DSC01852.jpg~original

DSC01853.jpg~original

There are hikes that go down to the crater (among other trails here). I’ll definitely have to try one out if I’m able to come to the Big Island and Hilo again.

DSC01857.jpg~original

You can see the damage lava flow from 1959 has caused. It’s hard to imagine how this landscape would’ve looked like whole.

DSC01858.jpg~original

There’s the Jaggar Museum we were just at as well!

DSC01860.jpg~original

Our next stop was the Thurston Lava Tube, still inside the National Park. Do you see the elephant here? It’s crazy how that happened naturally.

DSC01870.jpg~original

The obligatory picture right before we entered the tube, haha. We were lucky people weren’t pushing by to get inside, though I guess they all wanted their picture here, too, haha.

DSC01871.jpg~original

I forgot what it was called, and I don’t think you could really see it here, but inside the hole something was growing inside—a crystal or mineral of some sort.

DSC01876.jpg~original

A video I took from inside the lava tube. The ‘bath tub ring’ Mary Lou is referring to is the line in the wall created by the lava when it was flowing through here, showing how high the lava reached.

[YOUTUBE]pn2AgvPAgww[/YOUTUBE]

When you come out of the tube you enter this forest. My memory’s bad here again, but this plant was especially coveted for that round ball in the center there.

DSC01877.jpg~original

After the Park we headed for a large flower nursery, I believe. The tours are pretty customizable, as you can decide as a group if you want to go somewhere or not. Mary Lou’s husband Ken, who was a car ahead of us on the way there, passed by this stop.

There was actually a scary incident on the way over here, too! A backup was building on the road as there were two cars, going in opposite directions, had stopped and were arguing with each other. I didn’t see it, but my mom and Mary Lou said on the men had a rifle with him. Mary Lou said they were probably fighting about the girl, believed to be one of the men’s daughters, and she was so worried her husband was going to go out and help out since he apparently hates seeing women in that kind of situation. Thankfully he didn’t, and the two continued on their separate ways without it getting violent.

Anywhoo, the flowers were really beautiful, but we couldn’t buy any seeds or anything since we couldn’t take that back to Canada. This really smelled like chocolate, though!

DSC01880.jpg~original

DSC01887.jpg~original

DSC01916.jpg~original

Those things hanging down have fruit inside them, which you could eat. Mary Lou bought us some for us to try. I never had cherry tomatoes, but I imagine they might’ve tasted like how this did.

DSC01899.jpg~original

DSC01926.jpg~original

DSC01928.jpg~original

We also went to a coffee business owned by a pair of sisters, where you can have a taste of their different brews. I didn’t take any pictures there since I felt like that’d give away company secrets or something, haha. Since I don’t drink coffee this stop didn’t do much for me.

DSC01930.jpg~original

Our next stop was Mauna Loa, a factory that makes awesome treats with macadamias. The road over there was lined with these macadamia trees.

DSC01939.jpg~original

Wouldn’t that be awkward if you weren't from the Pride of America? Haha. Or do the other ships not come to Hilo? I didn’t take much pictures since I found it kinda weird to be taking pictures of the workers working through a glass, haha. Though it’s insane how someone could be dipping nuts into chocolate by hand all day, every day. Mary Lou said she’d be eating the stuff half the time, haha.

DSC01942.jpg~original

We had lunch here (which was not included as part of the tour), and we were able to visit the shop and buy up some of the yummy treats (Cookies and Crème, anyone?). They do give out samples, but make sure you don’t stick your hand inside to get one, as then the worker would be forced to throw the whole bag out because of contamination.

Afterwards we went to Rainbow Falls, where workers were cutting down some of the foliage for a better view, I guess.

DSC01943.jpg~original

Mary Lou said the people up at the top shouldn’t be there, especially after a rainfall, as a flash mudslide would wash them right over the edge.

DSC01945.jpg~original

DSC01953.jpg~original

Since the other two ladies in our small, four person group wanted to head back to the ship early to make the flower lei class, we headed to our last stop, where we were supposed to be able to see some giant sea turtles. And we did! They were so huge! I wouldn’t have minded dropping the women off and continuing on our own with Mary Lou, though. (We didn't make it in time for that class anyway, haha). She gave us a box of treats as a gift when she dropped us off, though.

DSC01963.jpg~original

DSC01965.jpg~original

DSC01966.jpg~original

DSC01973.jpg~original

DSC01975.jpg~original

DSC01976.jpg~original

Edited by Miicah

DSC01978.jpg~original

This was also the place I saw a coconut tree climber that I thought I wouldn’t see outside of the PCC back on Oahu, haha. The workers had to climb up and cut down the coconuts before they fell on somebody and the state would be sued, haha. They told us we were free to take the fallen coconuts but they were all smashed on impact.

DSC01980.jpg~original

DSC01981.jpg~original

DSC01983.jpg~original

Another black sand beach, though not as pretty as the one I saw on Maui.

DSC01985.jpg~original

DSC01989.jpg~original

Today’s towel animal.

DSC01990.jpg~original

And today’s daily treat from our butler Jose.

DSC01992.jpg~original

Awesome towel animal display!

DSC01993.jpg~original

All aboard was at 5:30, and this was the time our pier runners came, haha. Why do I keep forgetting to take a picture of them and not the clock, haha.

DSC01995.jpg~original

DSC01999.jpg~original

Today we had dinner at the Cadillac Diner. The food was nice and all, but the service was pretty slow. I know they’re a smaller place and all, but one person shouldn’t be seating people, taking orders, cleaning tables and bringing food out, you know? They could’ve used more staff here for sure.

DSC02003.jpg~original

DSC02004a.jpg~original

DSC02006a.jpg~original

DSC02007.jpg~original

DSC02008.jpg~original

DSC02009.jpg~original

DSC02010.jpg~original

DSC02012.jpg~original

DSC02013.jpg~original

We also finally went to our first activity on board, haha. We missed the magic show (and never ended up seeing it later in the week, I was bummed!) but went to the FABBA! Dance Party. I must’ve overlooked the dance party part, because when I read the description I thought it was more of a Broadway show kind of thing, haha. Still fun though! Got invited to dance by one of the crew but being my shy self I had to decline, haha. The crew are decent singers, though!

DSC02015.jpg~original

DSC02016.jpg~original

More coming soon!

I just found your review today and read through the whole thing. You're doing a great job. I love your pictures. I am hoping to do this cruise in a couple years. We are doing Alaska this summer so then I " need" to do Hawaii. I have never been on NCL but I will try it for Hawaii since it's the only company that does the islands without having to spend days getting there. I can't wait to read more!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time out to write this review. It is one of the best reviews I have seen, and I have looked at quite a few. I am going on this cruise in April and will be staying in Oahu for four days before the cruise. We are also staying in the Waikiki Shore condos as well You have given me lots of great information as well as awesome pictures.

Thank you SO MUCH for post pictures of the dailies. I have been looking everywhere for them and have only been able to find ones from years ago. Thanks so much again and I can't wait to read the rest of your review.