Seabourn Quest, Antarctica Season 2, Voyage 1.

SKP946

I thought that I had better start another thread as "Quest Bridge Hit By Lightning " does not seem appropriate now that we are back on track ( even if we are 48 hours behind)

After some great whale and penguin experiences with our unscheduled stop in Puerto Madryn, some of us had our King and Rockhopper Penguin fix in the Falklands on Friday. We crossed the Antarctic Convergence at 9 am and saw both the air and water temp drop to 2c (36f)

Then Saturday afternoon while crossing a pleasantly smooth Drake Passage at 18 knots, we saw our first Iceberg, a beautiful large sculpture in white with the most amazing shades of blue and green, complete with its own little colony of Chinstrap Penguins holding onto one of it's steeply sloping sides.

The captain deviated course slightly and made a circumnavigation.

Today we hope to have our first landings, on Half Moon Island.

We have all been thoroughly briefed on Zodiac landing procedures and I look forward for our Blue groups landing, scheduled for the civilized hour of 11am ( after White Group at 8am and Red at 9.30 am.)

Purple are due off at 12.30 and Green at 2 pm.

We leave in less than two weeks for our turn on the Quest. I will await each of your posts sharing great information--and suggestions--on your trip. I always enjoy hearing what is going on and what you wish you had known before going--or what you wish you had brought with you that you didn't!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Mom C

In reading The Avid Cruiser blog, Ralph referenced that Seabourn is also posting updates and photos from the current cruise (29Nov-20Dec). Don't know if it will continue into the next cruise, but it is interesting to see. From the photos, the first part of the cruise looked balmy.

http://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/

Enjoy!

Paul

Here's my crazy question regarding clothing: Do the waterproof pants get tucked inside the boots or are they worn on the outside? Tucking them inside makes sense to me, but on Seabourn's blog there was a picture of someone wearing them on the outside.

Here's my crazy question regarding clothing: Do the waterproof pants get tucked inside the boots or are they worn on the outside? Tucking them inside makes sense to me, but on Seabourn's blog there was a picture of someone wearing them on the outside.

I would assume that waterproof pants tucked into your boots would just deposit water inside the boots

Keeping the pants outside the boots would channel the water onto the boots and the ground thus keeping your feet dry

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Mr Luxury

I wore ski pants with waterproof 'overpants' on top. The ski pants were tucked into the boots bit the waterproof ones were not. The reason for that is that you don't want water getting into your boots on a 'wet' landing if the water is deeper than the top of the boots or if there are small waves. That could happen if they are tucked in but is less likely if they are not.

Edited by Roxburgh

I wore ski pants with waterproof 'overpants' on top. The ski pants were tucked into the boots bit the waterproof ones were not. The reason for that is that you don't want water getting into your boots on a 'wet' landing if the water is deeper than the top of the boots or if there are small waves. That could happen if they are tucked in but is less likely if they are not.

Thank you for the info.

In reading The Avid Cruiser blog, Ralph referenced that Seabourn is also posting updates and photos from the current cruise (29Nov-20Dec). Don't know if it will continue into the next cruise, but it is interesting to see. From the photos, the first part of the cruise looked balmy.

http://my.yb.tl/seabournexpeditions/

Enjoy!

Paul

I have been checking in on this blog and it has been wonderful to see the photos of their landings. Especially the last two entries where they actually got to get onto the snow and ice in Antarctica. Hopefully they will continue to enjoy more landings over the next few days.

Thank you for providing the link.

Julie

Edited by frantic36

We leave in less than two weeks for our turn on the Quest. I will await each of your posts sharing great information--and suggestions--on your trip. I always enjoy hearing what is going on and what you wish you had known before going--or what you wish you had brought with you that you didn't!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Mom C

Cc

Antarctic Clothing .

I brought too much clothing, as always.

The Goretex Parka, Inner Jacket, wool Beanie and Backpack supplied by Seabourn are ideal,

You need two sets of thermals, if you rinse them out they will dry overnight over the bath.

It was -2c (28F) with a strong wind and snowing yesterday, so I wore both sets of my thermals, mine are new and are a Marino blend and don't seem to hold odours, unlike my old thermals that I have had for years.

I wear my padded ski pants, I brought Goretex overpants, but haven't needed them, even with three days of snow so far (who said that it doesn't snow in Antarctica)

The hire boots are excellent, ($70 from Ship to Shore)mine were new.

Wear a thin and a thick pair of socks

I brought my own snow boots along, but was advised that if I wore them ashore I would probably never, ever, get the smell of Penguin Poo out of them!!

(And believe me, you have never smelt anything like a Gentoo Penguin Colony ! )

You need a neck gaiter to pull up over your face in the Zodiac.

I have seen a few Balaclavas and face shields being worn ( we all look like bank robbers in the Zodiacs.

Last night coming back down the Spectacular Neumayer Channel I put my face over the top of the glass on Deck 11 (SUNDECK), the cold wind was just like having

Liquid Nitrogen put on my skin !

Gloves, we brought TWO pairs each of thinner touch-pad gloves, one pair for ashore (Penguin Poo again) plus one clean pair for onboard )plus we have ski mittens to put over the top)

Mrs. SKP brought hand and foot-warmers ( the ships Boutique sold out very quickly)

I should have brought some as my fingers get a bit cold after awhile, (it's difficult to take photos in thick gloves or mittens).

The interior of the ship is the same as always, about 22/23c (about 72/73 F) so heavier onboard clothing is not required. ( Shorts on men have been seen occasionally !!)

A good tread on your shoes is needed if you want to go out on deck, we have had snow and ice on deck all day ( there were two, one metre high snowmen at the pool yesterday) probably it won't be a so cold on your cruise

A lot of pax wear their Seabourn supplied. inner jackets around the ship.

The dress standards have certainly slackened, lumberjack shirts have been seen in the MDR and SHOCK, HORROR ! ! the other night a couple managed to sneak past the Maître d' in DENIM JEANS !! although I am pleased to report that same couple were very smartly dressed last night, perhaps a quiet word (or two)was uttered !

Some large, strong sealable plastic bags for camera gear is essential.

Walking poles are handy, I also brought my crampons and have found them really handy ashore, (just don't wear them on the Zodiacs !!)

(An Aussie with crampons I hear you ask ? My son and I snow camp)

If you own or can borrow a GoPro (or similar) bring it, PLUS a Gorilla tripod.

There were 6 GoPro's clinging to the Observation Deck rail on Tuesday evening coming down the Neumayer Channel.

A small camera with a good zoom lense is handy, plus spare batteries and big capacity cards. DONT FORGET YOUR CHARGER.

We have taken over 2000 photos plus videos so far, this place is so spectacular.

I brought a pair of Crocs to wear to Deck 5 Aft to put on our ( caged) boots. ( the boots are kept locked in cages in the open air, so they won't go feral and attack pax)

Mrs SKP just wears the supplied slippers.

We now have the dressing and Zodiac procedure down to a very slick operation,

I wrote it up for family, if you want I can post it here, but I don't wish to bore people.

Enjoy your Antarctic cruise, it is more spectacular than I could ever have imagined

AND you get to see the 100,000 + King Penguins on South Georgia !

Yes, I cannot get enough! We hope to go Dec 2016 for the Holiday cruise --- fingers and toers crossed Seabourn has it on the schedule. Mr. L and Markham might you ask the powers that be at your meeting next week.

I do have a few questions. I read somewhere that Seabourn reduced to the number of PAX on the Antarctica cruise by about 100 but you indicated your had over 400 onboard. Is that correct? Now that you are landing each day do you still have Expedition lectures? Regarding landing groups --- were they assigned , by deck level alphabetical, ? Is it better to be in an earlier group than later or do they rotate.that is one day red, first, next day blue firsts, etc?

Thanks for all of the valuable information. I wish you continued wonderful penguin watching.

They seem to assigned by suite but not by deck. All colours are represented on each deck as well as all level of suites.

The colours rotate each day (these were iPhone pockets which you put your card inside so they can scan you in and out)

They were not exactly strict on returning to the ship right on time so the last group is a bit of a negative IMHO as they start to pack up the marked access area.

Thanks for the mouthwatering information and pictures about your cruise. We'll be boarding soon in Valparaiso, so packing is planned for the upcoming weekend.

As this is our first trip into the ice we're a bit unsure what to pack and what to leave at home. Is there anything you thought of as essential for this trip that wasn't? And then is there something you know now would have been better to pack?

Please keep us updated with ship and weather information (and, please, don't leave the gossip).

Thanks Chris

Since you wrote that you now have the dressing & Zodiac procedure down to a very slick operation, we (& others I'm sure) would really appreciate if you can post it here. Certainly NOT boring people - you write well, informative. Mrs SKP is fortunate to have you come along even tho' she didn't share her hand warmers with you! Tsk! Tsk!

Last week here in Alberta (Canada) temp was -24C (that's w/out the wind chill!) so we're looking forward to balmy temps in Antarctica plus even warmer pre & post cruise stays in Chile & Argentina. Hence our quest for what to pack for Seabourn's cruise.

Oh, stupid me, I better read the whole thread before asking unnecessary questions. Just got aware that my questions were mostly answered before.

Still I'm a bit afraid of packing!

Keep up with the great informations!

C

SKP - thanks for all the great info & look forward to reading about the Zodiac procedure too!

We're on the Dec 20th cruise & in the middle of packing now. Really tricky to get all our stuff into our luggage allowance!

Its a sunny 27 C over here at the moment - quite cool for this time of year, although heading to 34 C next week.

I've only seen snow 4 times (and it was only snowing one of these times), so this will be a cool trip (hehehe)!

Cheers,

Gary & Mo

Perth, Australia.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2135306#post44965242

I forgot, also handy:-

Ski goggles, help keep your face warm

Marker pen to name your complimentary gear especially your Beanie, as it's one size fits all.

I kept grabbing my wife's Beanie so an initial on the tag saves marital disputes !

The going shore times are posted in the Herald the night before, the earliest has been 8 am and are done as colour groups on rotation, ie Blue Group. 8am First day, maybe 12 noon Second day, 2 pm Third day and so on.

Only 100 pax are allowed ashore at any one time (PLUS Expedition Staff, there are 17) we have (I think) 427 pax split into 5 colour groups).

This allows the Quest's Staff and Crew to also spend time (usually 60-90 mins) ashore, which is great.

We put all our gear out on each side of the bed in order of dressing and come back to our cabin 30 mins before our set time.

Our order of dressing is, 1/ thermals top&bottom, (if very cold or windy a second thermal top with a high, zipped neck )

2/ thin then thick socks,

3/ padded ski pants,

4/ Seabourn supplied inner jacket,

5/ Seabourn supplied wool beanie, or your own beanie/balaclava/neck warmer (essential in our opinion, you can pull it up to protect your face)

6/ the Seabourn supplied parka and the

7/Seabourn supplied backpack (with your camera well wrapped in a sealable dry bag, plus spare battery. + Crampons/walking poles)

8/ grab your gloves and/ mittens and head for deck 5 aft as soon as your colour group is called. 15 mins prior to posted Zodiac departure time.

As you approach The Club you pull your hood up to allow the inflatable life jacket to be put over your head and then belted around you.

NB: Make sure that you ask the Staff/Crew member to put the belt UNDER your backpack, otherwise you cannot access it and your camera/poles etc. until after you have your life jacket removed once onshore.

Then it through to the "Feral Boot Cages" outside on Deck 5 where you release your boots and put them on, your slippers/crocs then go into your (cabin No ) cage.

Then it's a walk (or a penguin waddle, you are fairly bulked up) around to the side door portside deck 5, in and down the stairs to deck 3 behind the aft (4) Lifts /Elevators.(I will call them Lifts, shorter to write,)

Here there are chairs in the Lift Foyer where you sit and wait for the next Zodiac to return and discharge it's passengers, so you can board.

This is the worst bit if there is a wait, as you are all rugged up for outside and it can be as if you are in a sauna. I was pulling my hood/balaclava back here to try and keep cool, but you have to be able to get it back on fairly quickly.

Remember to go to the toilet BEFORE dressing in your cabin as there is nowhere ashore.

For gentleman (with Prostate or other problems)this is your last change for one to two plus hours as there is a toilet just forward of the lift foyer on Deck 3, remember to remove your gloves, as with at least THREE layers of clothing it's a bit hard to find the necessary equipment !

When called, it's around to the Starboard Zodiac loading dock (the Captain maneuvers the ship to protect the dock from the wind) here there can be another wait while your Zodiac discharges it's pax. But at least you are the in the fresh air (with us 0c to 2c )

You the stand in the disinfectant foot bath (going and returning) and are helped onto the Zodiac ( "remember Sit, Shuffle and Sliiide to the rear of the Zodiac" )

While this whole procedure sounds formidable, it's all very slick, there are plenty of staff to guide/assist you through every step.

We couldn't go on our allotted 8 am Zodiac cruise the other day for medical reasons, but were told we may possibly be able to go later.

At 1.45 pm David E. called the last Zodiac group, we were at lunch in the Colonnade, we rushed back to our cabin, changed and we were on that last zodiac in less than 15 minutes! (We felt a bit "foreign" with our Blue armbands in amongst all those Reds, but not one person commented).

There is a lot of comerarderie amongst passengers on the return journey, while waiting and in the Zodiac, especially discussing the wildlife sightings.

At our last landing site yesterday, 2 Humpbacks surfaced near a Zodiac (quickly followed by another Zodiac) so the departing/arriving people on those two Zodiacs had an extra half hour following whales.

We were all watching from the Patio Grill ( depending on the time of day, a lot of pax stay in their shore gear and eat outside, after all it's maybe 2c/36F !!

Remember, we were earlier in the season and it snowed for the first 4 of our 6 landing days, yours will probably be a lot different AND warmer.

DISABLED PEOPLE: we had two ladies in wheelchairs, there was too much snow for them to go ashore, but they did have at least 2 hour long Zodiac.

We also had a man in our Colour Group join us on our Zodiac twice who had great difficulty in walking, but he managed with the help of the crew.

We all had a ball and Mrs. SKP now wants to come back and do it all over again, it was that good ! (so do I, I would love to stay on for the return cruise, especially South Georgia)

So have fun, enjoy, Seabourn certainly goes all out to make you happy

PS: This was completed under trying conditions crossing the Drake Passage with 45 knot winds from the SW (Port side) a bit of movement, but Quest is handling the seas well.

Sent from my iPad

This is the most wonderful thread. -- detailed, specific, non snarky information.This is one of the reasons I find CC invaluable. Please keep up the narrative. Even without photos I can form pictures in my head of special animal encounters you have been fortunate enough to witness.

I had to laugh about you comment about men with prostate problems needing to plan ahead. Perhaps the gift shop has stocked up on Depends?

Just one comment re: dress. When everyone is all dressed up in the Seabourn gear they all look the same. So, if you want to find friends and family on-shore, useful to wear something a little bit distinctive. Thus, I took my own 'beanie' which is the one I use for skiing. Mrs. Waldo's daughter had very distinctive lime green ski pants, etc. etc..

We were there in January and it never got really cold. So no need for the ski goggles or neck warmers. But I would take them just in case. It is the Antarctic and you don't know what weather might get thrown at you.

And make sure gloves are waterproof. Mine were not and got soaked through at Brown Bluff where we went ashore in constant light rain.

We are gratefully appreciating your posts. They are so helpful as we plan what to take. We now have a plastic bin in the bedroom and keep adding items as we read what you have written.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. We are not used to cold weather and need all the help we can get. We hope the rest of your trip is as good as what has occurred up to now.

CC. WHAT TO PACK.

First a question.How do I attach photos to my replies ?

With the dressing and Zodiac procedure I had attached a whole selection of small format photos, but they didn't come out

I brought too many clothes, somehow I ended up with 15 shirts, I meant to bring 8 but we shared a third suitcase, there was space, the shirts were folded and they don't weigh a lot, you know how it is ? Did I cop it when I hung all my clothes up and Mrs. SKP saw the shirt line-up ! I also brought 3 jackets, worn 2 so far.

Mrs SKP says she didn't bring enough, although she has three pullovers that she hasn't worn.

The dressing is VERY casual, much more casual than any previous Seabourn cruise that we have been on.

My gardening clothes are better than some of the clothes I have seen being worn around the ship (including evenings)

Even with my shirt excess, Mrs. SKP's extra pullovers plus 1 pair of snow boots and 2 sets of overpants that weren't worn, our 3 suitcases weighed 24 kg.each ie 72 kg total. We had an air allowance of 3 x 32 kg EACH ! ( how would I handle that many suitcases? )

Remember that you have a Parka, plus Inner Jacket, plus a Backpack to bring home.

(One of our sons Photographer friends left Brisbane Airport recently to spent 3 months assisting on ships in South America and Antarctica, because of baggage weight allowances she had to wear most of her heavy clothing and boots on the plane, the air temp in Brisbane that day, 38c (100F) !)

CAMERA

I usually carry a small Lumix waterproof camera with a 6X zoom, but for this trip I bought a Lumix DMC-FZ70 Superzoom 60x Optical, costAUS$400

But probably half that cost elsewhere.

The bonus is that it has a viewfinder as well as a LCD monitor.

THE BIG PROBLEM with most cameras and all phones and iPads that people were using is that they COULD NOT SEE THE LCD SCREEN when OUTSIDE, then it was a case of point, shoot and hope !

One women destroyed her IPad using it in the rain in Montevideo !!

The 6X zoom on the small camera was not enough, we are meant to keep sat least 5 m away from any penguin or wildlife, with the 6x zoom the shot was OK but with the 60x I could stand way back and have just the Penguins head filling the frame !

The 60x is not heavy and has an image stabilizer, so no problems getting a sharp shot.

Mrs SKP bought a Fuji with a 36x Optical zoom but unfortunately no viewfinder, so this was rarely used