free excursion offer - Distinctive Voyages?

psychtobe

These "free" tours are attractive, but we've found that travel agencies all have their own "bait", what they add to the cruise line's offer if you book with their travel agency. Some offer additional perks...OBC, free gratuities, etc.; some offer lower "group rate" prices; some offer money back in some form (big box store credit, other), some offer discounted/free shore excursions and so on. I guess we succumb to the best bait offered when we book. We don't shop all that much at the big box store so we think we've maxed out that one for this year; We're careful with the group rates which often come from agencies with cancellation penalties...and we are suckers for free gratuities. In our case, we don't like large group tours, so these "free" tours aren't all that attractive..we'd rather receive other benefits.

Typically, TA's have about 5 or 6% of your base cruise price that they are willing to give away from their commission. So do you want cash back, free gratuities or free tours.....which works best for you...which way do you want that 5-6%?

These "free" tours are attractive, but we've found that travel agencies all have their own "bait", what they add to the cruise line's offer if you book with their travel agency. Some offer additional perks...OBC, free gratuities, etc.; some offer lower "group rate" prices; some offer money back in some form (big box store credit, other), some offer discounted/free shore excursions and so on. I guess we succumb to the best bait offered when we book. We don't shop all that much at the big box store so we think we've maxed out that one for this year; We're careful with the group rates which often come from agencies with cancellation penalties...and we are suckers for free gratuities. In our case, we don't like large group tours, so these "free" tours aren't all that attractive..we'd rather receive other benefits.

Typically, TA's have about 5 or 6% of your base cruise price that they are willing to give away from their commission. So do you want cash back, free gratuities or free tours.....which works best for you...which way do you want that 5-6%?

I get both cash back from my TA and these Distinctive Voyage tours if they happen to be offered on a cruise I'm on.

I get both cash back from my TA and these Distinctive Voyage tours if they happen to be offered on a cruise I'm on.

That's not a surprise.......but the total of everything you get back is probably the same as if you went to another agent where they only gave cash back, or one that gave gratuities and OBC vs Distinctive Voyages and some cash back.

It's pretty much a zero sum game......the value is fixed, how they convince you that their offer is better varies, but the value winds up the same. That's called marketing. Much like when celebrity offers 2 perks instead of 1 and raises the prices by $300....or a store that raises the prices 25% so they can offer a special 25% discount.

That's not a surprise.......but the total of everything you get back is probably the same as if you went to another agent where they only gave cash back, or one that gave gratuities and OBC vs Distinctive Voyages and some cash back.

It's pretty much a zero sum game......the value is fixed, how they convince you that their offer is better varies, but the value winds up the same. That's called marketing. Much like when celebrity offers 2 perks instead of 1 and raises the prices by $300....or a store that raises the prices 25% so they can offer a special 25% discount.

Whatever. I use my TA because I value her service. She goes above and beyond. I'm not in search of wringing the last dollar out of the transaction, I want excellent service. The cash back and Distinctive Voyage tours are a nice touch, but I would use her without them.

Any new information about this company and their excursions? Hard to pass up a free excursion but want to make sure it is reputable.

Distinctive Voyage is real and offered only on specific cruise lines and on specific ships & itineraries. There now is a way for your agent to get you the "free tour" information through his parent company or Distinctive Voyages. It is not easy, so do be patient with him. It is not his fault that definite information is not available. I struggled with this issue for my own cruise, which I booked into my home agency. Once on board a letter with details of the free cocktail gather, tour details and when & how to meet the group and any other events the leader may work out for the group (we had a behind the scenes tour of the theater.) Now as far as the 2nd cabin, if you booked it at the same agency and it is of the same category, then something may have slipped through the cracks. If it is an inside cabin, it may not be eligable. Pursue this with your agent or people above him.