Shrimp and shellfish allergy

Hello all... I have recently discovered I have a shrimp and shellfish allergy.. Not deadly, but not fun... and must now carry epi pens with me.

Question-- do I notify anyone? Or can I just tell them in the dining room when I order?

Oh, and I am sailing this New Years on the Grandeur:D

As an RN and mom of a nut-allergic child....I advise you to notify whomever booked your cruise and make sure it is on your reservations. You will meet the Maitre'd on the first day and discuss your allergy. They have always been extremely concerned and helpful. They will review the next nights MDR menu and you can make your choices ahead of time so they know your food was prepared safely. In the buffet, you need to ask a staffer "who do I speak with about my food allergies?", a manager/chef will walk you around and point out what you must avoid. It's easy, quick and ensures that you have a great cruise. Be careful on excursions- ...

.. Good Luck!

I also developed this allergy It has been noted on my profile and the MDR staff will sometimes mention it. When we eat in the Windjammer I usually just ask the staff if their are any shellfish in items I am not familiar with. I have not had any problems and it really has not been much of a bother. Pretty straight forward really. Enjoy your shellfish free cruise.

I've never been tested but I have a shrimp allergy that is purely gastrointestinal. I know this because the first time I had shrimp (when I was 18), no issue, the second time just a little indigestion, the third I turned green and the fourth was the full on nausea, etc. I have only mentioned it a couple of times, but tend not to because it causes the wait staff and maitre'd to get a little bit too concerned. Since mine isn't anaphylactic I don't have epi pens and my Dr has never mentioned it. I just read the menus and go from there. At one time a couple of years ago there was a steak with shrimp on top on the menu and I just asked them to leave off the shrimp which worked great. I ask if I need to and avoid other seafood because I don't know whether I'm allergic or not and don't care to find out the hard way. I do know that I can eat food cooked near seafood with no issues and have eaten at Japanese steak houses with no adverse affects. It appears I have to eat several pieces in order to have the reaction.

Edited by BND

I've never been tested but I have a shrimp allergy that is purely gastrointestinal. I know this because the first time I had shrimp (when I was 18), no issue, the second time just a little indigestion, the third I turned green and the fourth was the full on nausea, etc. I have only mentioned it a couple of times, but tend not to because it causes the wait staff and maitre'd to get a little bit too concerned. Since mine isn't anaphylactic I don't have epi pens and my Dr has never mentioned it. I just read the menus and go from there. At one time a couple of years ago there was a steak with shrimp on top on the menu and I just asked them to leave off the shrimp which worked great. I ask if I need to and avoid other seafood because I don't know whether I'm allergic or not and don't care to find out the hard way. I do know that I can eat food cooked near seafood with no issues and have eaten at Japanese steak houses with no adverse affects. It appears I have to eat several pieces in order to have the reaction.

My allergy started off as swelling lips, and a couple hives... each time I pushed it and ate shrimp... I would puff up a little more, lol.

Last time, I ended up in the emergency room... with hives.... everywhere,from my ears to my throat, all the way down my body-inside and out, LOL... ended up on an iv drip for hours, and finally cleared to go home, with my new little buddy the epi pens.... it scared me enough to never try it again... I went for testing, and found my allergy is to the shrimp,scallops,crab, lobster :(

This was just a couple months ago-- and I am 47 years old... I was told that each reaction will be more severe... I now just eat a lot more chicken :D

Hello all... I have recently discovered I have a shrimp and shellfish allergy.. Not deadly, but not fun... and must now carry epi pens with me.

Question-- do I notify anyone? Or can I just tell them in the dining room when I order?

Oh, and I am sailing this New Years on the Grandeur:D

Can't disagree with any advice you've gotten. But, you should also notify Royal's Special Needs Dept. There is a special place on the form near the bottom to indicate Allergies. Or, specifically check with your TA to make sure that's who they notify.

Also, if you decide to eat in a specialty restaurant, stop by the day before and notify them in person about the allergy, and they will be very accommodating. A little notice ahead of time makes everyone's evening more enjoyable.

Enjoy your cruise.

You should get allergy tested. I had a reaction to something that I thought was shrimp. Stomach cramping, throat felt like it was closing so when i had my yearly blood work done, i asked if it was possible to run an allergy test. I came back fine. Not issues with shrimp at all. Not really sure what it was, but i had a reaction to something yesterday after eating sushi for lunch.