Non alcoholic wines and beer choices on Riviera?

kekilia

My husband does not drink so at home he is used to having good N/A beer, such as Erdinger, or wine. Does anyone know if there are such choices onboard or will he have to request these in advance. BTW, for the La Reserve dinner, he will participate in the wine pairing. So, that is not an issue.

My husband does not drink so at home he is used to having good N/A beer, such as Erdinger, or wine. Does anyone know if there are such choices onboard or will he have to request these in advance. BTW, for the La Reserve dinner, he will participate in the wine pairing. So, that is not an issue.

You'll find O'Douls and Buckler non alcoholic beer on the Bar menu, but they don't carry non alcoholic wine unless you request it in advance.

Hi Kekilla:

I used to travel with my very elderly mother and Oceania always had non-alcoholic wine on board. However, it is not on the wine menu. Just ask for it. They had red and white, but I can't remember which brand - it was one of the mainstream ones.

Hopefully the old adage of there being no dumb questions will justify this post;-) When we were on a walking tour of Bilbao, we were offered a sampling of various of tapas and wine or non-alcoholic wine. Since it was about 10:45 and within two hour of our breakfast, I chose the non-alcoholic wine. To me of the uneducated palate, it tasted a lot like grape juice. How does non-alcoholic wine differ from grape juice?

GJH123, they make real wine and then dealcoholize it. I can't say it's good wine, but it doesn't taste like grape juice. In Spain, they might have actually just been giving you grape juice.

The only method that I had ever heard of to take the alcohol out of wine was to boil it, so I looked up the method(s) that are used commercially:

http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/archives/2004/04/how-do-they-de-alcoholize-wine.html

I learned two things...alcohol free wine isn't truly fee of alcohol, and the techniques that are used so tamper with the taste that they DO mix it with grape juice....

Thanks for both of your responses, guys. While I had heard of non-alcoholic beers, non-alcoholic wine is a new concept to me. After your responses, I "googled" the subject and am intrigued; apparently have been around for quite a while. May just have to give them a try--especially the one that won a gold medal over alcoholic wines. I guess the limited alcohol content precludes them as the beverage of choice for Captain and CD, though!