Found

pennyg131

Why would you bring something home that was left in a cabin? :confused:

You do realize that Cruise Critic members are a tiny percentage of cruisers and that most people don't even realize this place exists.

If you find something, turn it in at the service desk so that if/when that person contacts Carnival, they have a chance of it being returned to them!!

So, if no one contacts you, are you just going to keep whatever it is? :(

Why would you bring something home that was left in a cabin? :confused:

You do realize that Cruise Critic members are a tiny percentage of cruisers and that most people don't even realize this place exists.

If you find something, turn it in at the service desk so that if/when that person contacts Carnival, they have a chance of it being returned to them!!

So, if no one contacts you, are you just going to keep whatever it is? :(

I agree with you 100%. I've asked that question before and been attacked because some people think they know better than the cruiseline. We've turned in several things we have found. And, you're correct the odds of the individual reading cc and finding this thread are almost non-existent.

I would not be happy if I found out someone took something home that I had lost. Most people will contact the cruiseline who will then tell them that no, your item wasn't turned in and then the individual figures someone found it and kept it and it's lost forever.

Edited by BND

The OP thought it she was doing the right thing. Be nice, people.

If I found something I thought was of value (sentimental or otherwise), I would be reluctant to hand it over to the person behind the desk. I would likely take it with me, post here AND contact CCL.

I wouldn't turn in a found t-shirt to guest services without taking pictures, getting receipts AND contacting CCL about the item.

As much as we LOVE our cabin stewards, they are NOT all honest.

There is NO difference of the OP taking the item home, or handing it in at Guest Services.

To each their own.

Hopefully the owner of the "lost" property will get it back.

OP......maybe post on your roll call?

The OP thought it she was doing the right thing. Be nice, people.

If I found something I thought was of value (sentimental or otherwise), I would be reluctant to hand it over to the person behind the desk. I would likely take it with me, post here AND contact CCL.

I wouldn't turn in a found t-shirt to guest services without taking pictures, getting receipts AND contacting CCL about the item.

Thank you Cruising 4, I know after 500 nites with CCL that not everything gets to where it should. I felt that CC and Facebook would reach quite a few. The room steward told me that the crew used some of the rooms during the Dry dock and asked and posted a note in crew quarters. Believe me I am not trying to get somthing for nothing and in fact this item has more sentimental value than anything.

There is NO difference of the OP taking the item home, or handing it in at Guest Services.

To each their own.

Of course there is a difference. What would the OP do if no one claimed the property? Finders keepers? Would they call CCL and state that an item was found and they could call the OP to claim the items? The proper thing to do was to turn the item over to CCL while on the ship. By taking the item home is stealing.

Did anyone sail on the Pride in the last few weeks in an Ocean Suite and leave somthing in the room? Please identify and I will ship it to you. Penny

The proper thing to do would have been to take the item to Guest Services. To take it home and post to a forum that consists of less than 4% of the cruising audience thinking the owner would read the post is absolutely astounding!.

Well, what's done is done. I'd suggest the best thing to do now is contact Carnival and send the item back to them to let them handle it.

To each their own.

Actually, yes there is a difference. No one said give it to the steward. The proper thing to do is turn it into guest services. They log in all found items.

Edited by BND

I fail to see the logic in sending the item to CCL. If CCL knows the item has been found and it is in the possession of an honest cruiser wouldn't CCL relay the info?

The logic is no different than bringing it home in the first place. It should have been turned into guest services before the OP left the ship. That's all we're saying. Bringing it home accomplishes nothing except that now the odds of the owner ever getting it back are next to zero.

Edited by BND

Reviews of guest services are consistently bad. I cannot imagine leaving something of value with them and walking away thinking I did the right thing. Actually, leaving something with them seems to be the easy way out. JMHO.

What does CCL do with items not claimed from the lost and found?

In a situation like this, would CCL reach out to previous occupants?

The OP didn't take the item thinking "WOO HOO, look what I found! I can keep it if no one claims it"

We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I believe everyone here is well intentioned don't mean to imply otherwise. I have a way of unintentionally insulting people.

The proper thing to do would have been to take the item to Guest Services. To take it home and post to a forum that consists of less than 4% of the cruising audience thinking the owner would read the post is absolutely astounding!.

Well, what's done is done. I'd suggest the best thing to do now is contact Carnival and send the item back to them to let them handle it.

Actually, yes there is a difference. No one said give it to the steward. The proper thing to do is turn it into guest services. They log in all found items.

Ok...Please. I have read MANY posts where people said they forgot their cell phone, or tablet in their safe, and realized it once they got off the ship.

Tried to get back on with NO luck.

Cruise staff "attempts" to look for it, and says there is nothing in the cabin.

Give me a break.

I don't think the OP did anything wrong.

Hope they find the owners.

Sadly, in this day, it's hard to trust anybody.

I had this exact same thing happen to me and after MUCH thought decided bringing the item home and trying to find the owner was the best plan. The people who sailed before us left a very expensive piece of jewelry in our safe, it turned out it was a one of a kind special order piece. I didn't feel that it would ever make it past guest services if I turned it in.

When I came home I posted here, and received many negative comments. Someone suggested that I post over on the Carnival website boards in the "requesting assistance" area. It wasn't long that Michelle contacted me and she was able to contact the people who sailed in the cabin before me and they described the item.

The couple had been on a 50th birthday cruise and it had ruined the thought of the entire cruise to know that she had lost her necklace, it was very special to her. Her husband called me, gave me his address and wanted it to be a surprise when she opened it from the mail. She sent me the most beautiful letter and a gift certificate for a nice restaurant.

Hopefully your situation will make someone just as happy. Keep us updated.

I had this exact same thing happen to me and after MUCH thought decided bringing the item home and trying to find the owner was the best plan. The people who sailed before us left a very expensive piece of jewelry in our safe, it turned out it was a one of a kind special order piece. I didn't feel that it would ever make it past guest services if I turned it in.

When I came home I posted here, and received many negative comments. Someone suggested that I post over on the Carnival website boards in the "requesting assistance" area. It wasn't long that Michelle contacted me and she was able to contact the people who sailed in the cabin before me and they described the item.

The couple had been on a 50th birthday cruise and it had ruined the thought of the entire cruise to know that she had lost her necklace, it was very special to her. Her husband called me, gave me his address and wanted it to be a surprise when she opened it from the mail. She sent me the most beautiful letter and a gift certificate for a nice restaurant.

Hopefully your situation will make someone just as happy. Keep us updated.

Like!!!!:D:D

In my opinion the OP has done the right thing. I suspect they will continue the search until the rightful owner is located and don't think for a minute they have any intention of keeping the found item. I doubt GS would make any effort at all to find the owner. Perhaps the OP should (and may already have) notify CCL that they have an item and let CCL also try to find the owner.

All this jumping on the OP for trying to connect an owner with their property is just ridiculous. I wish them luck in finding the property owner.

Edited by travler27

So, the justification is that a cruiser is more honest than a cruiseline employee? Really?

The fact is, the OP did what they wanted to, not the correct way to handle it, but what they wanted. I've done my job if I find something and turn it in.

I love the "I know better" crowd who thinks taking the item home is the right thing to do and that they are "better" than the cruiseline. That's pretty arrogant.

I'm sure, about now, the owner, if it's something of value, is very upset after contacting CCL only to find out the item wasn't turned in. I'm also betting those of you that think the OP taking the item home was right, wouldn't be happy if you were in the same boat and it was your item :-) So, besides putting yourself in the shoes of the op, how about putting yourself in the shoes of the owner of the item, who probably doesn't read CC. Now, how do you feel?

Those of you that think it's a "good idea", do you have any idea how many people cruise each week and how many of those read CC? More than likely, you don't.

Edited by BND

What's the point of everyone telling the OP what is proper and what she should have done? It's not like OP can go back to guest services now. What's done is done. Why not use that energy to help her locate the person on Pride who lost the item. Once you find something on a cruise, do what you think is proper. I don't think the OP was trying to be malicious (she is, after all, trying to find the owner), she just took a different route than some of you would have. Good luck with your search, OP.