expired passport question/concern

slicksun

I've actually been through this scenario because my husband used to be a green card holder (he now has dual citizenship.) The passport is extremely IMPORTANT and without a valid one, I doubt this woman will be allowed to board the ship. Many times, even with my husband's valid passport and green card, we were held aboard the ship in port while his passport cleared immigration at various islands. So yes, various ports in the Caribbean DO CHECK the passports of foreign nationals. The most problematic port we encountered was in Venezuala where we were held up for over an hour waiting for his passport to be processed by their immigration people.

What many people don't realize is that the green card doesn't mean squat to other countries. Without a valid passport the woman could be deported. This means, she can be put on a plane back to the Philippines.

I've actually been through this scenario because my husband used to be a green card holder (he now has dual citizenship.) The passport is extremely IMPORTANT and without a valid one, I doubt this woman will be allowed to board the ship. Many times, even with my husband's valid passport and green card, we were held aboard the ship in port while his passport cleared immigration at various islands. So yes, various ports in the Caribbean DO CHECK the passports of foreign nationals. The most problematic port we encountered was in Venezuala where we were held up for over an hour waiting for his passport to be processed by their immigration people.

What many people don't realize is that the green card doesn't mean squat to other countries. Without a valid passport the woman could be deported. This means, she can be put on a plane back to the Philippines.

Wouldn't be surprised that you had trouble in Venezuela....

If you know anything about world politics Chavez considered the U.S. an enemy state. I wouldn't even go and I'm a U.S. citizen. He's no longer in power but I'm sure the new regime is a carryover of the old values.

That being said I'm going to take my chances and risk her getting deported back to the Philippines LOL.

Edited by slicksun

Oh she won't be deported, you will just not be able to board the ship!

I provided the 3-4 ports, it would be so easy to just check with the authorities of each of these countries.

My brief check of St Lucia seemed to indicate that she needed a valid passport plus a visa obtained prior to arrival ......

I strongly recommend spending a bit of time and make some phone calls.

A back up plan for San Juan is a good idea too :)

JMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wouldn't be surprised that you had trouble in Venezuela.... If you know anything about world politics Chavez considered the U.S. an enemy state. I wouldn't even go and I'm a U.S. citizen. He's no longer in power but I'm sure the new regime is a carryover of the old values.

We're not permitted to discuss politics here; it's a hot button. Just a heads up.

That being said I'm going to take my chances and risk her getting deported back to the Philippines LOL.

Wow. OK. I don't think you'll be LOL'ing if that happens.

i just called royal.

they said she is good to go with a green card because it's a closed loop and she is allowed to embark and disembark on all of the stops as well.

they said i worry too much and enjoy my vacay.

She is not a U.S. Citizen ! I believe you have been given bad info and that CSR won't be at the dock to make an exception !

Good luck to you and I hope I am wrong ...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would never rely upon information provided by any cruise line CSR. They mean well but far too many are inexperienced and have little training. Just because a CSR said it, does not make it so.

Closed loop cruise passport exemption applies to U.S. citizens. Other than U.S. citizens require passports even for closed loop cruises.

Friends who work shore operations for ships have told me just about every cruise goes out with one or more people denied boarding for not having correct travel documents.

Edited by sail7seas

Wouldn't be surprised that you had trouble in Venezuela....

If you know anything about world politics Chavez considered the U.S. an enemy state. I wouldn't even go and I'm a U.S. citizen. He's no longer in power but I'm sure the new regime is a carryover of the old values.

Actually, this happened about 2 - 3 years BEFORE Chavez came into power.