If cruise price drops

jascom

We booked our cruise on board and paid final price through agent.

Holland america told us on board if price drops they will adjust it.Our agent says they never adjust price once you pay full price.

How do we get adujustment if price drops?

thank you

We booked our cruise on board and paid final price through agent.

Holland america told us on board if price drops they will adjust it.Our agent says they never adjust price once you pay full price.

How do we get adujustment if price drops?

thank you

It is rare to get cash back from a price drop after final payment has been made.

However, HAL will normally work with you and give you some OBC (on board credits), a free upgrade, or some other item to help offset part (generally not all) of the difference.

DaveOKC

Thanks.we are not familiar with how to go about it.who do you ask?our agent or holland america?

We are very happy with cruiseline.just that we are seniors and wirking with limited budget and dont like to pay more if we can help it.

thanks again.

Call HAL 800# and ask for Guest Relations. Make sure you have your Booking# and explain your situation. Hopefully they will offer SBC or something to offset your price difference, good luck. We have a HAL PCC and she is very helpful with issues like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.we are not familiar with how to go about it.who do you ask?our agent or holland america?

We are very happy with cruiseline.just that we are seniors and wirking with limited budget and dont like to pay more if we can help it.

thanks again.

You go through who you booked through. Since you used a travel agent, HAL will not talk to you directly. Hopefully you have a good agent who is not afraid to ask HAL for some givebacks.

DaveOKC

I disagree Even though you booked through a TA sometimes it's best to talk direct, some TA's are not aggressive enough to support your needs. Also if you cruise frequently with HAL consider a PCC they are great.

I disagree Even though you booked through a TA sometimes it's best to talk direct, some TA's are not aggressive enough to support your needs. Also if you cruise frequently with HAL consider a PCC they are great.

DaveOKC is 100% correct. If you have gotten someone to talk to you at HAL and you have a TA then they have been poorly trained. You become a third party. They should not be doing that. This is why I book directly thru HAL now.

Edited by cruz chic

I guess the OP can try and call HAL, but I have been told that they will not talk to you if you use a TA. Doesn't hurt to try though. I agree that some TAs are not aggressive enough - thats why I use a HAL PCC as well,

DaveOKC

Edited by DaveOKC

jascom try your TA if you wish but regardless I would go to HAL also, they will listen just give them the booking number, apparently others have different thoughts but I know what I would do since it's your money, right?

jascom try your TA if you wish but regardless I would go to HAL also, they will listen just give them the booking number, apparently others have different thoughts but I know what I would do since it's your money, right?

It's not a thought. I've tried it many times and gotten nowhere, but the OP can try. This is why I use a PCC, because I got tired of having no control. What was the situation that you had when you booked with a TA and you were able to get HAL to listen?

We just went thru this. We waited until after final payment to book since we live so close to the port. Booked last month. Then this past week the price of our cruise dropped several hundrds dollars per person. TA said after final payment HAL won't do anything. I called HAL myself. HAL told me to have the TA call and talk to special pricing dept. TA called and I was given three options. a Future cruise credit, $100 ship board credit for each of us or an upgrade to a higher ov cabin. We decided on the Ship board credit. It's not the total amount of the drop, but its better than nothing. We now decided that since we live so close to the ports we will wait until inside of 30 days. We think we will get a much better rate in the future since we can be very flexable and live within driving distance of four ports.

Have your TA call and see what happens. Good luck

I tried calling our TA but she says Hal cant do anything after final payment.I tried talking to Hal but guy called RJ from Hals corporate office who was extremely rude to us.I was surprised and shocked because usually most of the people from crusiline are so good and helpful.we are being shuttled from agent to hal and both are passing the buck.

Would it help if i send email to hals CEO?

I tried calling our TA but she says Hal cant do anything after final payment.I tried talking to Hal but guy called RJ from Hals corporate office who was extremely rude to us.I was surprised and shocked because usually most of the people from crusiline are so good and helpful.we are being shuttled from agent to hal and both are passing the buck.

Gee I think I used to deal with that person at HAL. Agree with your assessment. That's the problem after final. They really don't have to do anything. If you booked thru the cruiseline I would say try someone else but with a TA you really shouldn't be able to deal with the cruiseline even though some posters feel you can.

I asked this question of holland america regarding the situation between TAs and contacting hal directly. Here is there response which is what I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Holland America Line Hi XXXX, thanks for the great question! While Holland America Line is anxious to provide as much assistance to our guests as possible, due to contractual agreements between Holland America Line and the travel agency any requests or inquiries regarding the booking must be made through the travel professional. As a travel planner, they can assist our guests with the many details that will make your reservation worry free. The travel professional must call us on the guests behalf for further details or assistance with their reservation. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

I asked this question of holland america regarding the situation between TAs and contacting hal directly. Here is there response which is what I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Holland America Line Hi XXXX, thanks for the great question! While Holland America Line is anxious to provide as much assistance to our guests as possible, due to contractual agreements between Holland America Line and the travel agency any requests or inquiries regarding the booking must be made through the travel professional. As a travel planner, they can assist our guests with the many details that will make your reservation worry free. The travel professional must call us on the guests behalf for further details or assistance with their reservation. We hope you found this information helpful. Happy cruising!

My TA was not going to be available when the upsells came out, so she gave HAL permission to speak directly to me, which they did and gave me the offer.

So, why not ask your TA to give permission to HAL to talk to you directly if they are not willing to do it and after that, find a new TA.

I get nice pluses for dealing with my TA plus she is a pleasure. I can do nearly everything I want with HAl - book my MDR table, ship board services, whatever. She takes care of the other stuff.

But she is willing to work with me. If yours isn't ask her/him to give permission to talk to HAL. Just a thought.

edited to say - this does not mean that anything will be done - it may and it may not. But those that don't ask don't get and the worst thing that can be said is no.

Edited by kazu

My TA was not going to be available when the upsells came out, so she gave HAL permission to speak directly to me, which they did and gave me the offer.

So, why not ask your TA to give permission to HAL to talk to you directly if they are not willing to do it and after that, find a new TA.

I get nice pluses for dealing with my TA plus she is a pleasure. I can do nearly everything I want with HAl - book my MDR table, ship board services, whatever. She takes care of the other stuff.

But she is willing to work with me. If yours isn't ask her/him to give permission to talk to HAL. Just a thought.

edited to say - this does not mean that anything will be done - it may and it may not. But those that don't ask don't get and the worst thing that can be said is no.

Yes, that's a good idea. Get permission from the ta. I'm curious, did she have to submit something in writing or did she call? I wished I'd heard of this when I used a ta.

Yes, that's a good idea. Get permission from the ta. I'm curious, did she have to submit something in writing or did she call? I wished I'd heard of this when I used a ta.

She called. I was very impressed. I don't think every TA does this. I consider myself lucky:D

Last week I called HAL with a question regarding a booking made while on board. A future cruise booking. They would not answer even my general question. I was directed to my TA and told my TA now "owned" my reservation. That it was "against the law" for them to talk to me. She was rude.

I have since re booked thru my TA and lost a promised shipboard credit. The battle will continue.

Oh, and this morning I had two surveys to respond to.

Edited by aa7yy

Travel agencies are paid a commission by HAL to handle customers, book cruises, etc. This is what cruise lines pay travel agencies for.

Why on earth, unless it was an exception, would a cruise line pay a travel agent commission and still have to service that TA's account?

It costs the cruise line money to service a client directly. That money comes from the cruise commission that they would otherwise pay an agency for an indirect booking. This is why you were referred back to your TA.

When you book with a TA, the agency 'owns' the booking. Some agencies take this ownership very seriously and simply do not want their clients speaking directly with the cruise line. The cruise lines are obliged to honour this relationship by referring you back to your TA.

Travel agents view you as 'their customer', not HAL's or anyone else's. If you feel differently, then book directly with the cruise line.

Edited by iancal

@iancal

That is all perfectly clear and in fact I agree with that, but,,,

The promise was made to me buy a HAL representative, over the phone, after the future cruise was booked. Has nothing to do with the TA, but with HAL policy. Sometimes it makes no sense to include a "middle" man that was not involved to "clarify" either a misleading, misrepresented OR misunderstood statement.