I need help -- which cruise to do

cl.klink

You might remind the dear lady of two things. First of all, growing old beats the heck out of the alternative; and, second, the only thing bad about birthdays is when you stop having them! :D

Tom

Yes, birthdays are a good thing -- the more you have, the longer you live! ;)

We have done Alaska on HAL, Princess, and Celebrity. In our minds all of them are similar, although Celebrity seems to be a bit more active (was it the CC group we were with?) than HAL and Princess.

In Alaska it's the itinerary that matters. The geology is spectacular near the glaciers, so choose an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier (Tracy Arm is problematic in May; too much ice in the fjord). Each city has it's own personality. Juneau has the most to do, but Skagway is my husband's favorite and Sitka is mine.

I think you can't go wrong with any cruise you choose.

This sounds like just what I want. Not sure the dates available are what I can do this time around, though. If I go to Anchorage and take a southbound tour, how much time should I set aside to get to see Denali?

Sorry...I forgot a very important bit of info...we did our Major Marine Cruise in Kenai Fjords National Park. Denali is about 4 hours north of Anchorage (Whittier and Seward are south). There are also great driving guides for Anchorage to Denali You can also take a train or bus between Anchorage and Denali. A good site to check out if you want to go to Denali is: http://www.alaska.org/advice/how-many-days-in-denali

Enjoy!

Thanks. This is helpful.

I think I am learning that I will want to go to Alaska more than once, and not try to fit it all in thistle. I do not want to short shrift Denali so with my time constraints that'll be another time.

- Joel

Thanks for so many good responses. Appreciate the good help and insights.

I think I'm down to Princess or HAL for a southbound itinerary (see the most stuff, start off with the most dramatic change from home): 5/24 Seward --> Vancouver sailing on HAL Zaandam (best price, easier date for me to reach Anchorage in time) or 5/23 Whittier --> Vancouver on Star Princess. Seems like a coin flip to me, so leaning to the HAL option, unless someone here wants to tell me I'm crazy (about THIS issue, I mean).

- Joel

Thanks for so many good responses. Appreciate the good help and insights.

I think I'm down to Princess or HAL for a southbound itinerary (see the most stuff, start off with the most dramatic change from home): 5/24 Seward --> Vancouver sailing on HAL Zaandam (best price, easier date for me to reach Anchorage in time) or 5/23 Whittier --> Vancouver on Star Princess. Seems like a coin flip to me, so leaning to the HAL option, unless someone here wants to tell me I'm crazy (about THIS issue, I mean).

- Joel

Can't say you are crazy but we have done Alaska on both HAL (x1 when we had a Suite at the last minute for a great price) and Princess (x2) and hands down we found the Princess experience much better. We were in our 60s for the cruises and just found the HAL cruise geared for a much older crowd (yes there were younger people on the ship). It was not the port days but the sea day activities, music, etc. that felt like we were back in the 40s. The lectures on Alaska were so much better on Princess.

We'd sail with HAL again if the itinerary or price was great but not to Alaska.

If you are used to Celebrity (we sailed on the Silhouette twice this summer) you will really feel the difference on HAL but not so much on Princess.

Enjoy what ever line you take....Alaska is a great place.:)

I guess we're old for our age but we sailed HAL to Alaska when in our mid-50s and didn't feel HAL was "too old" but rather was a bit more serene and sophisticated.

And our son and wife (in their 20s) repeated our HAL Alaska cruise for their honeymoon the next year and while they had a few people look at them as "too young to be on the cruise" overall they loved HAL, too.

...we sailed HAL to Alaska when in our mid-50s and didn't feel HAL was "too old" but rather was a bit more serene and sophisticated...

That is my take on HAL vs. Princess in general. Not sure about onboard lectures, etc., on HAL to Alaska vs. Princess, though.

The Star is about twice the tonnage of the Zaandam, so that along with the better sailing date for you would make HAL my choice. I prefer the relative intimacy of smaller ships. I generally read up on ports before I sail, so onboard lectures are not that important to me.

I don't think you will go wrong with either choice!

Edited by Ryndam2002

I guess we're old for our age but we sailed HAL to Alaska when in our mid-50s and didn't feel HAL was "too old" but rather was a bit more serene and sophisticated.

And our son and wife (in their 20s) repeated our HAL Alaska cruise for their honeymoon the next year and while they had a few people look at them as "too young to be on the cruise" overall they loved HAL, too.

Thanks. Good to know. I'm going to see if I can make the dates and cost work out.

- Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the excellent replies.

Verdict is Alaska. I can only be off in time to leave PM of 5/22, so could make a 5/23 departure from somewhere, but have to be back home 6/01.

Gonna wait for a good rate on these choices:

Princess Star, 5/23 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Princess Grand, 5/23 Vancouver --> Anchorage

HAL Noordam, 5/23 RT Vancouver

HAL Zaandam, 5/24 Anchorage --> Vancouver

Would consider HAL Oosterdam, 5/24 Vancouver --> Anchorage, which has a great rate right now, but can't get back home in time if arrive in Anchorage 5/31.

Again, thanks for all the input from everyone.

Happy New Year!

- Joel

If you love Celebrity, do NOT go on the Summit. While Bermuda is a wonderful destination, the Summit will be a let down after your other Celebrity experiences. It's really the stepchild of the fleet, and needs a major upgrade in the areas of decor, service, cleanliness...you name it.

Choose one of the newer Princess ships, like the Royal or Regal. They are stunning.

I'm having the same birthday coming up (the big 6-0) and booked a cruise for my family on the Regal for this March. I disguised it as a Christmas present for the family, but it's really my birthday gift...shhh, don't tell.

Enjoy your cruise. Let us know what you chose.

• 2 months later...

I have cruise Alaska 3 times. Once on Celebrity Infinity (Seattle Round Trip) and twice on Princess' small ships: Sun (Cruise Tour) and more recently the Coral (Los Angeles to Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver).

I enjoyed my cruise with Celebrity and found it a very close match to Princess. It was very easy to fly in and out of Seattle. The seas were calm, the ship small, food was good. Itineary, average. You stop at almost all the same ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan. It is the glacier experiences that are different.

The Cruise Tours with Princess are awesome. But you will need two weeks.

My last voyage were b2b2b. I picked up the Coral in Los Angeles and did a repositioning to Vancouver. Quite, relaxing, and not much excitement. You can do one way from Vancouver to Whittier or Whittier to Vancouver. I did both to avoid flying in or out of Alaska. I understand that can be expensive and time consuming.

The best part of the cruise is Glacier Bay. The first day was perfect (going north). The second visit was a little more overcast and colder. Strangely, we could actually get closer to the glaciers on the first week. The second week had more ice flows which prevented the ship from getting as close.

AND the Coral is one of Princess' best ships (until they start tampering with a good thing....off topic). I had a balcony and the end of the first bump out. Best cabin with a glass wrap around balcony. The staterooms in the front cut the wind. You got a much wider view with this location.

IMG_1524_zps3ed20cb4.jpg

You should contact Terrific_Surprise (do a search). He spent a year surprising his wife on her 50th birthday. If you are interested, get back to me on this thread and I will try to help you contact him.

Edited by cr8tiv1

I have cruise Alaska 3 times. Once on Celebrity Infinity (Seattle Round Trip) and twice on Princess' small ships: Sun (Cruise Tour) and more recently the Coral (Los Angeles to Vancouver to Whittier to Vancouver).

I enjoyed my cruise with Celebrity and found it a very close match to Princess. It was very easy to fly in and out of Seattle. The seas were calm, the ship small, food was good. Itineary, average. You stop at almost all the same ports (Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan. It is the glacier experiences that are different.

The Cruise Tours with Princess are awesome. But you will need two weeks.

My last voyage were b2b2b. I picked up the Coral in Los Angeles and did a repositioning to Vancouver. Quite, relaxing, and not much excitement. You can do one way from Vancouver to Whittier or Whittier to Vancouver. I did both to avoid flying in or out of Alaska. I understand that can be expensive and time consuming.

The best part of the cruise is Glacier Bay. The first day was perfect (going north). The second visit was a little more overcast and colder. Strangely, we could actually get closer to the glaciers on the first week. The second week had more ice flows which prevented the ship from getting as close.

AND the Coral is one of Princess' best ships (until they start tampering with a good thing....off topic). I had a balcony and the end of the first bump out. Best cabin with a glass wrap around balcony. The staterooms in the front cut the wind. You got a much wider view with this location.

IMG_1524_zps3ed20cb4.jpg

You should contact Terrific_Surprise (do a search). He spent a year surprising his wife on her 50th birthday. If you are interested, get back to me on this thread and I will try to help you contact him.

What cabin # is this? Thanks:)

What cabin # is this? Thanks:)

Coral Princess

I believe it was C309 (twin is C310)

Regular Balcony Stateroom

Aloha and Baja decks also have the same bump outs. "Only" disadvantage is that you are looking down into Dolphin balcony and have a friendly view of your neighbors in 311. I didn't have any trouble with my "neighbors".

The Coral is a wonderful ship. The next bump out rear might be a mini (mid-ship). I would definitely pick this cabin again. Booked more than a year in advance because I needed it for 3 back to backs.