Recent hospital stay

Scotchick

My husband had surgery on 12th Nov and had to be re-admitted for another 7 days, discharged on 12th Dec. I have booked cruise for next year 2015 starting 12th April. I am also having surgery on 17th December this year. I have just recently been told that you can't travel until 6 MONTHS after a hospital stay. Is this correct. Final payment is due late January 2015.

I have just recently been told that you can't travel until 6 MONTHS after a hospital stay. Is this correct. Final payment is due late January 2015.

Who told you and do you have any reason to believe that their answer is accurate? Contact your insurance agent and also the cruise line and ask them.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Never heard such a thing! Your Doctors will tell you if you are cleared for travel or if it's likely you will each be well enough to travel.

Your getting on a cruise ship and not climbing a mountain. I'm assuming you purchased Travel Insurance from a third party provider (not the cruise line) with included "pre existing medical and cancel for any reason".

And this policy was purchased at the time your original deposit was made.

It would be too late at this point to purchase travel insurance that dealt with pre-existing medical conditions being covered.

Is this why you believe you need 6 months ....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

My husband had surgery on 12th Nov and had to be re-admitted for another 7 days, discharged on 12th Dec. I have booked cruise for next year 2015 starting 12th April. I am also having surgery on 17th December this year. I have just recently been told that you can't travel until 6 MONTHS after a hospital stay. Is this correct. Final payment is due late January 2015.

I've never heard anything about a 6 month rule but, as always, verify specifically with your insurance company.

What some policies include is you must be fit to travel on the day you purchased the policy. If you have pre-existing and on the date you wrote the insurance, your doctor would not clear you to travel, you could have problem if you have to submit a claim.

Again, verify your specific policy and company.

No I didn't buy ins at time of purchase. Have found out that I can buy insurance but will have to wait until both recovere. We will not be insured for either of our surgeries, but will be insured for any new problems. OK by me. Thanks for all your answers.