Florence or Bologna airport

zelker

Will be doing a driving tour of Tuscany/Umbria for the first time after our TA in April. We have the option to fly out of Florence or Bologna heading back to the States and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether one is easier to fly out of vs the other (less crowds? quicker to get through security? easier to return rental car? .... )

Thanks for feedback.

Florence is a small airport and its jet services fly only to certain cities in Europe e.g, CDG in Paris, Zurich. There is a larger airport in Pisa, but they do not offer flights to a few more cities. We have friends who like to fly into Milan, since it offers non stops to several cities in the US. Since we fly in and out of Minneapolis, we fly through CDG and on to Florence.

I haven't used Bologna's airport, but have flown out of both Florence and Pisa. Both of those airports are really so much easier to use than the bigger airports. As euro cruiser mentioned Florence is a really small airport and very easy to use. I just flew out of Florence last month,

and couldn't help comparing the experience with flying out of Rome or Milan - Florence won hands down! No hassle with electronics, no moving between terminals (there's only one!), very friendly staff, etc, etc.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that Florence is a good option. We fly into Denver and are using United miles so pretty much have to make one if not two connections anyway - looks like from Florence we'll be flying to either Munich or Frankfurt, and then to avoid the awful non-stop on Lufthansa to Denver on a 747 in economy, we can opt to fly through DC on a UAL flight where we can at least pay to upgrade to economy plus seats.

As far as I know, there are no non-stop flights from Florence nor Bologna to the US - you have a connection somewhere. Seeing you post from CO, it looks like you are going to be on United, with connection in Frankfurt and possibly also Chicago.

FLR is a nice, small airport - gone through there a few times. I've also done a rental car return there - it was a nightmare trying to find the right route to the car lots - I kept going around in circles and getting back on the highway - I swear it took me over half an hour to figure out how to get a quarter mile!!!! AND, I was trying to use my GPS... It was under the highway, an a dirt road, to a FIELD where they had all the rental car stuff.