Embarkation when ship leaves at 8.30pm from Whittier

jezz086

We are booked on Voyage of the Glaciers southbound next July. The Star Princess leaves Whittier at 8.30pm, so what is the earliest they will usually start boarding? We are just trying to organise our day in Whittier. Thanks

We are booked on Voyage of the Glaciers southbound next July. The Star Princess leaves Whittier at 8.30pm, so what is the earliest they will usually start boarding? We are just trying to organise our day in Whittier. Thanks

Its the same as most other ports, around Noon.

They usually start taking luggage around 9:30-10:00am.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

There are several terrific excursions that you can book privately in Whittier to fill the day. When we do B2B we've taken the Phillips 26 Glacier tour, which gets you up-close to a number of glaciers and beautiful scenery. Major Marine also operates a tour. Both are adjacent to the Princess docks so easy access.

Once you get to Whittier about your only option is to take a glacier cruise. To see the "town" will take all of 30 minutes maybe. They do have a nice little museum that I visited this year while there on my B2B with the history of Whittier and activity in the area during WWII.

One thing I highly recommend is being out on deck for a couple of hours after sailaway. This are has some of the most spectacular scenery on your trip and most people miss it because its the first night aboard and they are getting settled. I spend about 3-4 hours out on one of the top decks, the scenery is fantastic in the twilight with spectacular views all around.

Once you get to Whittier about your only option is to take a glacier cruise. To see the "town" will take all of 30 minutes maybe. They do have a nice little museum that I visited this year while there on my B2B with the history of Whittier and activity in the area during WWII.

Here's little tidbit about Whittier.....According to our newspaper, a major motion picture will be shot there over the next year. I am not sure if they will be there in the summer, but who knows? Besides, when the film comes out, you can tell everybody you were there!

Here's little tidbit about Whittier.....According to our newspaper, a major motion picture will be shot there over the next year. I am not sure if they will be there in the summer, but who knows? Besides, when the film comes out, you can tell everybody you were there!

We were in Skagway/Yukon a week or two after the "The Big White" was filmed. Our guides showed us where Robin Williams and other actors did several things. The movie never got released to the big screen in the US and years later, eventually got released to dvd. After watching it, I know why.

The only thing odd about leaving Whittier is dining. You either have to eat early or late in the dining room as Muster Drill is right in the middle of dining times. Or you can eat at the buffet. We were on a B2B and didn't have to attend Muster but they still made us quickly finish dinner and vacate the dining room.

They often don't do Traditional dining the first night in Whittier due to the Muster drill. The buffet is always an option.

I have also seen them hand out dining times/assignments on cards when you embark for that night only.

Edited by Coral

If you take the morning train (I think it's around 9:30am from Anchorage) to Whittier, you are able to check in and board immediately. You can also come and go from the ship, if you wish.

There is not a Princess transfer via the train in the morning, only the afternoon. I was able to book it on both of our trips from Whittier directly from Alaska Railroad. The first time we had spent several days prior touring inland and enjoyed boarding "early" before most passengers and relaxing. The second time we had flown in the night before, arriving after midnight. We enjoyed boarding early again and resting so we were ready to go by later in the afternoon.

I keep saying I am going to book one of the PWS tours, but for some reason, the rest has always seemed better.

If you take the morning train (I think it's around 9:30am from Anchorage) to Whittier, you are able to check in and board immediately. You can also come and go from the ship, if you wish.

There is not a Princess transfer via the train in the morning, only the afternoon. I was able to book it on both of our trips from Whittier directly from Alaska Railroad. The first time we had spent several days prior touring inland and enjoyed boarding "early" before most passengers and relaxing. The second time we had flown in the night before, arriving after midnight. We enjoyed boarding early again and resting so we were ready to go by later in the afternoon.

I keep saying I am going to book one of the PWS tours, but for some reason, the rest has always seemed better.

We always book direct with the RR. No need to do it through Princess, its easy. Ours left at around 7:00am. :eek:

• 1 month later...

We are thinking of doing this as well, since we will be on very busy, independent land tour the week before our cruise.

What was your experience with luggage once you arrived in Whittier? Do Princess staff meet the train and help with luggage, or do you need to carry your bags to the ship. I realize it's just across the street, but if you have four bags and assorted carry-ons it could be challenging.

Also, I'm wondering if the laundry rooms are open on that first afternoon? I'm sure we will have lots of dirty clothes and that would be a great time to do laundry before the crowds board.

Thanks.

We are thinking of doing this as well, since we will be on very busy, independent land tour the week before our cruise.

What was your experience with luggage once you arrived in Whittier? Do Princess staff meet the train and help with luggage, or do you need to carry your bags to the ship. I realize it's just across the street, but if you have four bags and assorted carry-ons it could be challenging.

Also, I'm wondering if the laundry rooms are open on that first afternoon? I'm sure we will have lots of dirty clothes and that would be a great time to do laundry before the crowds board.

Thanks.

The bags were loaded on the train into the baggage car in Anchorage and we never saw them again until they arrived in our cabin.

Laundry should be open.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

The bags were loaded on the train into the baggage car in Anchorage and we never saw them again until they arrived in our cabin.

Laundry should be open.

Our experience was the same both times. There is a tent next to the train station where you take your luggage to the porter. Make sure you have your Princess Luggage tags on them. They will unload for you at Whittier and transfer to the ship. We did not touch them after dropping them off at the train station.

I was wondering about port arrival time too, will it be assigned or is it more of a first come first serve to board the ship?

I don't recall any port arrival time being assigned. I think it's fair to say anytime after noon or so. You can arrive earlier and might have to wait if they haven't cleared the ship...although since the previous cruise went through US Customs upon boarding in Vancouver, they just walk off, grab their luggage, and leave. It doesn't take too long at all. It is very nice both embarking and debarking in Whittier for sure. In Vancouver, it is a whole different story because you are either going through Canadian Customs or US customs getting on or getting off.

Our experience was the same both times. There is a tent next to the train station where you take your luggage to the porter. Make sure you have your Princess Luggage tags on them. They will unload for you at Whittier and transfer to the ship. We did not touch them after dropping them off at the train station.

That's good news. After a week of dealing with our own bags in Anchorage, Seward, Talkeetna and Denali, I think we'll be happy to have week 2 start off on an easier note!

Question: If you are not on a Princess transfer and arriving in Whitter at noon, you would probably beat the lines to embark since the transfer buses arrive later? Sailaway is 8:30pm so there is a lot of time to get settled and then enjoy the view as the ship leaves the port.

We currently do not have a Princess transfer and choosing what to do.

Question: If you are not on a Princess transfer and arriving in Whitter at noon, you would probably beat the lines to embark since the transfer buses arrive later? Sailaway is 8:30pm so there is a lot of time to get settled and then enjoy the view as the ship leaves the port.

We currently do not have a Princess transfer and choosing what to do.

We booked the train on our own and the luggage handling worked the same as the Princess transfer. Once we gave our bags to the attendant at the baggage area we did not see it again until we were in our cabin. :)

its a beautiful trip (about 2.5 hours).

http://alaskarailroad.com/