From suite to a "regular"cabin

New2cruise1483

I'm wondering what it's like to go from cruising in suites, then " downgrading" to standard balcony cabins. I Would love to go on one of the Southern itineraries out of San Juan, but I don't know if I will be able to afford the haven. I LOVE the VIP treatment, and the luxrious cabins. Also, as wierd as it sounds, I would feel like I was missing out in something by not having Haven access, no breakfast at Cagney's, etc. So I'm asking people who have cruised in both types of cabins what their experience was after cruising in duties, to go with a standard balcony cabin. I guess my biggest problem is having Dom Perignon taste in a Keystone Light budget lol

Like going back to black and white TV after color big screen HD TV.

I'm a fan of aft penthouse balcony cabins on Dawn... Having said that, my thought process goes like this:

I don't think I could take a Dawn cruise and NOT do the aft PH. However, I think that if we were on a totally different ship (such as BA or GA for instance), I would be able to do just a regular (or even aft) balcony cabin.

Does that make any sense?

Yes, absolutely. Our very first cruise was in an aft penthouse on the dawn, so that is where my suite addiction ( and aft addiction) comes from lol. However, I am absolutely in love with the itinerary that I booked in the Gem. I was willing to go for less than a suite because I didn't know if they would offer this itinerary again and I really didn't want to miss it just because I couldn't afford a suite. Still 2 years away though, so who knows what might transpire :D

There is definitely something magical about an aft suite ;). When leaving Tampa we got to see Dolphins jumping while leaving while standing on our balcony, what a great way to start a cruise :D

My first cruise was also an aft PH on the Dawn! lol It was a definite spoiler.

My last cruise was my first real one not in suite (my 2 days on a less than 1/3 filled Getaway wasn't a real non-suite experience), and I was nervous as anything to try to manage 7 days without some of the perks! lol

I was worried about how crowded the non-Cagney's breakfast options would be. We did the buffet once and it was as bad as I thought (overly crowded, iffy food). But we did MDR the rest of the mornings and had wonderful experiences and no waiting at all to be seated.

I was worried about not having priority tendering and having to wait in mega lines to get off the ship (we did all of the ports on our own, so we didn't have excursion tickets). While we did have a rather long (over an hour and a hlaf- two hours) wait to get off on our 2 tender ports, since we were just renting a car and going our own way, it wasn't a huge deal.

I'd been used to the concierge being able to get us into any specialty dinning place we wanted to on the spur of the moment. It was different having to decide kinda early in the trip that we wanted to eat at Le Bistro 3 days in the future, but not as big of a hassle as I was expecting - I don't normally like to plan my onboard activities in advance, b/c I'm on vacation gosh darn it, and I don't want to be scheduled!!

We only had one sea day, and it was mid-fall in New England so we didn't have to fight to get a seat at the pool or anything.

On the whole, it wasn't as difficult as I was worried about to sail in a non-suite, and I'm more willing to sail in regular balconies in the future!

Hope your non-suite cruise turns out to be as stress free as ours was!

Edited by laurabegorrah

OMG. My favorite cruise to date. I did the Antarctic Landing excursion. Loved it!

Also, great shopping! Leather in BA and Puerta Madryn. And I visited a great art studio in Montevidei. Had works shipped home.

We also loved the all day tour in Buenos Aires which includec the estancia. Great food BEEF, wine and entertainment. Great way to spend the day since flights are late out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG. My favorite cruise to date. I did the Antarctic Landing excursion. Loved it!

Also, great shopping! Leather in BA and Puerta Madryn. And I visited a great art studio in Montevidei. Had works shipped home.

We also loved the all day tour in Buenos Aires which includec the estancia. Great food BEEF, wine and entertainment. Great way to spend the day since flights are late out of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks!

Stephen

I just returned from my first Haven experience on the Breakaway. I don't think I will have any trouble going back to regular balcony rooms. I could take two balcony cruises for the price of one Haven cruise. I never really used the concierge except to get on a tender to GSC. The butler was fantastic, but I could certainly get by without him, and he comes with an additional substantial tip. About the only thing I would miss is having the private indoor hot tub and pool area, but I wouldn't miss that if I was cruising in the warmer months.