Seabourn Sojourn Mumbai to Athens 2015 - Deposit

chiptransisto

Well, we've done it! We made a deposit on the Seabourn Sojourn cruise leaving Mumbai on March 31, 2015. Our final payment is due December 31, 2014. This is our second cruise and the first one on Seabourn. Our one prior cruise was 10 to 12 years ago on a seven day cruise in the Baltic.

On our trips, I normally do all of the planning and reservations myself. This time, I read several articles about using a travel agent to get various perks that you do not get if you book yourself. I clicked on the "Find a Travel Advisor" link on the Seabourn site. Several travel agent sites in my area were displayed once I entered my ZIP Code. I called one who happened to be a Virtuoso agency. I did not know what that was but I was assured that it meant that we would receive "benefits" not available if we were doing the booking ourselves. The travel agent, after researching the cruise, said she could provide a free land excursion to Petra if we booked through her. Since Petra is one of the sites that we are most interested in seeing, I went ahead and booked my cruise through her. Before we booked, we had a number of email exchanges and several phone calls. The agent would usually respond to my email right after I sent it. Once we made a deposit through her, and notified Seabourn that she was our agent, the response to my emails became slower, e.g two days to respond to an email. Her emails also became terser than they had been at the beginning. While this may have been related to the holiday season, I did notice a difference in help once we had committed to use the travel agent. I will see how it plays out as we get closer to the final payment and departure dates. We need information about visas and other things to which I assume a travel agent would have ready access. She also assured me that she could get better hotel deals than I could online or at least match the price that I got online with the addition of free Internet or free breakfast or something similar. I hope that her assurances of the advantages of using a travel agent turn out to be true and that she adds to the enjoyment that we will have on the cruise. Our cruise category is OB Veranda Suite. I think that means that we have a veranda suite but it could be anywhere from V1 to V6 on any deck. I don't know if we have any say so in the assignments or if we can ask for particular rooms but we'll see.

I also read on cruisecritic.com that there may be some vouchers floating around for first time Seabourners. I have been corresponding with a person in another country who says that he has a voucher that will allow him to receive a $400 shipboard credit and me to receive a $400 shipboard credit. I am trying to work with him so that I can get that if possible. If it doesn't work out with him, hopefully I'll be able to find someone else that has a voucher.

We are landing in New Delhi about a week before the cruise. We were able to get better flights going to New Delhi than to Mumbai. We also wanted to go see the Taj Mahal and it is closer to New Delhi. We're also hoping to fly from New Delhi to Kathmandu, spend two nights and then fly to Mumbai. We should arrive in Mumbai the day before the cruise leaves.

We have a number of questions about the cruise such as: information on the advantages of having private tours at various stops as opposed to using Seabourn's land excursions; recommendations for toiletries, shoes, clothes, hair dryers and other necessities. I would appreciate any up-to-date help or information on these questions.

Anxiously awaiting the cruise.

If you have booked an OB grade balcony then I think this is a Guarantee. No you cannot pick your cabin they will allocate nearer the cruise date.

They have Molton Brown Toiletries so if you don't like these then take your own but most people quite like them so no need to take. Just things like own preferred brand of shampoo. Again no need for hair dryer they are supplied in your cabin.

You will need a coat for a gent as some nights in the MDR are smart plus you may have one formal night. If you eat in the Colannade then you do not need a coat or DJ for those nights.

We find that the Seabourn excursions are rather expensive, but good, you can easily do your own thing in most ports. Just do some homework before you go.

I am sure you will have a great cruise, and yes if you get a referral voucher you will receive 400 dollars and so will the referer. If you have no joy with the person you mentioned then post on the Referral thread and someone will send you one.

Enjoy Seabourn.

On our trips, I normally do all of the planning and reservations myself. This time, I read several articles about using a travel agent to get various perks that you do not get if you book yourself. I clicked on the "Find a Travel Advisor" link on the Seabourn site. Several travel agent sites in my area were displayed once I entered my ZIP Code .

I also just paid our deposit. I went the opposite way, last time through a TA and this time direct with SB. The "Find a Travel ..." on the Aus site showed nil TA's. I enquired through an online cruise company and their offerings were poor and I was v happy with phone conversation with SB direct.

Our past 2 trips, We have had problems with 2 different TA's where changes to flights didn't get relayed to us. Our current flights for next year have already had 2 changes which the airline has advised us because I booked direct. I am happy to do things myself now if I know what I want. I am about to book car hire and accommodation for next year.

Ab21au, when I called to tell Seabourn that I had a TA, I asked how that would affect my relationship with Seabourn. The person I talked to said that they could no longer talk to me about financial matters but other than that, there would be no difference. I'm worried that if I need some information, Seabourn is going to tell me to contact my TA and I will be at her mercy! Hopefully not. Fingers crossed. We have booked our air ourselves so didn't need help from TA on that part.

Leesre, thanks for the info. We enjoy coffee the first thing in the morning. Breakfast later. I assume that all we have to do is place an order with room service for the coffee or does Seabourn have coffee makers in each room?

Hi Chiptransisto, we will be on the same cruise as you, our third on Seabourn.

First off, I will be happy to answer as many questions as I can on this thread or on the Roll Call for our cruise, so fire away. If your arrangement for the referral falls through I'd be happy to send you a referral coupon.

We also have an OB Veranda guarantee and since we are not concerned about location we're happy to take the chance on the guarantee on the potential upside of an upgrade. Depending on the weather of course, the veranda is a great place to enjoy an early coffee/breakfast as you sail into port and yes, all you have to do is put your order on the door before you go to bed.

We are just looking at the shore excursions now and plan on taking a few through Seabourn and perhaps do a couple independently. We also had hoped to go to New Delhi and see the Taj Mahal prior to making our way to Mumbai but it looks like we won't be able to take the extra time off.

Don't worry about your TA, I'm sure it will all work out and Seabourn is actually very good at providing timely information directly to the customers regardless of whether a TA is used or not. If you haven't tried yet, here is information on which countries require visas and how to go about it in the preliminary boarding booklet which you can view and print from the Seabourn website (you must have a log in and then find your reservation).

Happy Holidays and look forward to meeting you on board.

Quite coincidently we did this cruise last year from Mumbai....also we were in New Delhi for a few days in November last month....... If anyone has any questions about the Hotels in Delhi or Mumbai, getting to the Port which is shall we say different..... getting to the Taj, restaurants and any other advice please ask.....

rl787, I'm asking all those questions. So tell us the answers.

We were thinking of staying at the Oberoi in New Delhi and Mumbai and the Hyatt Regency in Kathmandu. We haven't spent a lot of time on it but we're thinking we could rent a car and driver for a day to go see the Taj Mahal from New Dehli. Is that the best way?

Thanks for all information.

We were thinking of staying at the Oberoi in New Delhi and Mumbai and the Hyatt Regency in Kathmandu. We haven't spent a lot of time on it but we're thinking we could rent a car and driver for a day to go see the Taj Mahal from New Dehli. Is that the best way?

It's a v long journey and Indian traffic is not relaxing even for a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stayed at the Oberoi in Delhi and it was good.

It is easier to answer direct questions. I will tell you what I can, we did separate vacations for the two cities so we did not commute between the two. In Mumbai we also stayed at the Oberoi, it is fabulous, quiet, in a great position and you will find everyone very helpful. The Taj Hotel is a 2 minute taxi ride away if you want to see The Gateway of India and have tea overlooking the water. The Taj is so touristy so I personally would not stay there. There are so many restaurants in Mumbai but we had the most superb Indian meal at a place nearby called Khyber……it is very famous. It is about 5 minutes away by taxi. The place is not swanky but certainly up to European standards in terms of décor. The spinach and mixed vegetable croquettes are probably the best we have ever tasted.

As for getting to the Cruise Terminal from the Oberoi, it is absolute anarchy getting there as there are so many entrance gates, get the wrong one and your snookered!!….. We decided to have the Hotel car take us and asked them to ensure we were in the right place and most importantly had the Port Entry tickets in our hand before the driver returned. The Hotel uses BMW’s but also uses the Toyota’s which are less expensive from the Trident Hotel next door which it owns. The cost was about £10/$15 which to Westerners was very little. It was worth it because the Taxi drivers may just drop you at the wrong port entrance as they generally don’t care and I did not fancy trying to sort that problem out with all our luggage.

As regards Delhi, we stayed at the Leela in the Diplomatic area as we felt the position was better for us, The Oberoi is also fabulous so pick which you fancy yourselves. Again there are so many restaurants, it is also a city which seems to have less poverty, or it is hid better. If you get chance try to eat at The Indian Accent restaurant, it is so hard to describe but the food is an Indian fusion twist on famous dishes from around the world…..Amongst my fave tastes ever was their take on Chinese Duck with Pancakes, except they used Lamb!! There is also the world famous Bukhara Grill which is a tourist trap but a real experience. More importantly, Delhi is about getting to Agra to see the Taj. You can do it in a day but it is a schlepp, you will leave the hotel at about 6 ish, it takes about 3 hours to drive each way. Whatever you do you will arrive back absolutely shattered as it is a very long day in the heat there. You have the option of having the hotel take you in their car which is expensive, about £350/$500 for a hotel BMW or you could use an independent driver yourself, there are some reliable ones on Tripadvisor and the cost is about £60/$90 return. Guides for the Taj are normally included in the fare. The hotel can arrange an independent driver for less but you may as well arrange it yourself as they add a 200% mark up.

I would however advise driving up one day, staying a night at the incredible Oberoi at Agra, it is a wonderful experience, the hotel overlooks the Taj, at night eating there admiring the Taj is so special, I am sure every woman would find it the most incredibly romantic experience ever, and then coming back the next day in another car if you have time. Far more civilised.

Also in Delhi we took the Half Day Old Delhi Walking tour with Dhruv, Raj and Anji it was fabulous, you see Old Delhi from a different perspective. Raj worked in Europe for over 30 for the Hyatt group I think and fully understands western reliability and timescales. You can pay extra for hotel collection and a private tour just for your party which I felt was worth the extra. They also do full day New Delhi tours but we just did not have time. Their contact details are on Tripadvisor, they are rated Number 1 and deservedly so.

A couple of basics that you have not mentioned, when you arrive at Mumbai Airport, you will be greeted by an army of new friends offering help, agree a price with them first, they happily take Pounds or US Dollars, but I think they are worth it as they will take you through customs and the airport to a taxi, to a Hotel car and to an ATM machine at the Airport if you need. Upstairs is the Government Pre Paid Taxi Booking Cabin, this is a must if the hotel are not picking you up as it is a fixed fee with driver insurance, an A/C cab is called a Cool Cab, if you do not ask for one you get a basic non A/C cab, they are a few Dollars extra. Don’t be alarmed when the Taxi ties your bags to the roof, we saw loads of tourists arrive at the hotel with the bags strapped on top!! You are unable to buy Indian Rupees outside of India, you can easily get them at ATM machines at the airports and the hotel has an ATM machine in house, I would advise contacting your bank so they know you are in India as fraud is so commonplace that your card may be frozen. Avoid the exchange places there if you can, the commission is about 30%. A minor point about taxis in the city, I would advise asking the taxi fare first as you get in the taxi, you will never be charged the same fare twice but at least you will know!!

Well, that’s the bones of what I would advise, I hope it helps with some of the uncertainty….if I can help with anything else just ask me………

We did the reverse of your cruise in October on the Odyssey. Upon arrival in Mumbai we flew the same day to Delhi where we spent a night at the Oberoi Gurgaon which was a delightful hotel. The next day we drove to Agra for a two night stay at the Oberoi overlooking the Taj Mahal. It is a magical place and I would highly recommend trying it. The drive from Delhi to Agra is at least 3 hours and I would not recommend trying to make a day trip of it. Besides the Taj, the Agra Fort is worth visiting as is the baby Taj. We were in Agra over Diwali and the lines to get into the Taj were short for both our sunset and sunrise visits. I understand that they can be very long which you should factor into your thinking should you try a day trip.

When you arrived at the Mumbai Airport and met your new friends to help thru Customs, could you use US dollars to pay them? How about paying taxis?

We are on that trip and because I made a mistake in booking our tickets using award miles, so no changing them, we arrive in Mumbai at 3 am on the morning of embarkation.

Does anyone have any advice/help for this 3 am arrival?

Yes you can pay your friends in Dollars no problem..... I am unsure about the taxi desk at 03-00, the airport web site may be able to help or a post on Tripadvisor, it is "probably" open as if flights arrive Taxis are needed. You you can get Rupees from the Airport arrivals ATM's..... It may not be a problem if your hotel is sending a car for you, most hotels offer this service.

rl787, thanks for the information. You can never have too much information.

We're from Texas so a three hour drive is not too much for us. We are also like the Griswolds, we see it, enjoy it then leave. I think a car and driver from New Delhi for an early morning start to the Taj Mahal then a late afternoon return would work best for us. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

In Mumbai, was your experience with the wrong terminal gate just a mistake by the taxi driver or is this a problem that all taxis will have? Did the Oberoi accommodate you in your request for a driver to stay until you were sure that you were at the correct terminal?

rl787, thanks for the information. You can never have too much information.

We're from Texas so a three hour drive is not too much for us. We are also like the Griswolds, we see it, enjoy it then leave. I think a car and driver from New Delhi for an early morning start to the Taj Mahal then a late afternoon return would work best for us. If I'm missing something, please let me know.

In Mumbai, was your experience with the wrong terminal gate just a mistake by the taxi driver or is this a problem that all taxis will have? Did the Oberoi accommodate you in your request for a driver to stay until you were sure that you were at the correct terminal?

The key to a Taj visit is to be there at the magical time of dawn. It would have to be an exceptionally early start from Delhi to catch it on a day trip.

You will see when you arrive in Mumbai that the City runs despite anarchy......there are a few Port Entrance gates and all look the same....the top and bottom was that a normal Taxi was $5 and the hotel Toyota was $15 so we felt using the Oberoi Driver was worth the extra and to us it really was. I do think there is genuine confusion with all the Dock entrances. The Oberoi driver went to the wrong one first time, he checked with Security to get the right one and then waited while we got our passes from the Army Guards. Only then after he was certain that we were OK did he leave...... You will be in good hands with all the Oberoi staff. Again you will find so many friends who will take your bags with you through Security, they really do know the system and are worth paying. You will see that everything in India is handraulic, administration rules everywhere and officials in uniforms are abound!