How do you tip a porter?

michelle.zhang.90

But what do you do when it is not so bad as to be a joke, but not real good either.

Do you still tip then?

If service is "not real good" I do not tip!

They don't have to jump through hoops but you better be pleasant and provide the service you are paid to provide.

When you treat me poorly, overcharging taxi ride,ignoring me ,playing your religious programs on the radio loudly ,talking on your cell phone ...no I do not tip! I have been confronted and suggested we call a policeman they back down every time.

Reader

Tip. Don't tip. Crying about it won't change anything. Has it been confirmed porters deliberately dumped a pallet of luggage in the water or is that just a rumor? I guess a story like that would appeal to the conspiracy everywhere crowd.

This from the Live from the Star thread post #29:

Porters - don't be "afraid" - just be aware. They were fleecing people for tips...if you know what the deal is, you won't be "had". The rain also gave them a distinct advantage as people just wanted to get out of the rain. Also, you have the option of dropping your suitcases yourself. As you are facing the ship, you would go all the way to the left to the end and drop them where the porters are leaving them for the crew. As for the pallet in the water, I heard, with my own ears, the gentleman they have on board who gives some of the scholarship at sea lectures talking to a family about it. I also spoke to a couple who received their luggage completely soaked through - not just rain wet, soaked to the point where Princess laundered all of their clothes for them, so I don't think it's a rumour.

Take it for what it is. I am the type of person who likes more information than not and when I tried to alert my fellow passengers on our RollCall a few of them told me to stop "bitching". We sail tomorrow on the Star Princess from San Francisco.

This applies to Pier 27/35 in San Francisco:

This from aaerobear:

I am not a union member, I work with Metro Shore Services as an agent. We wear the blue suits and red ties. The porters are members of the ILWU or Longshoremen's Union. They are very well paid. I do not know what other ports in the US also have ILWU porters, but would New York would be one for sure. Where ever there is a strong union presence in a city/state you can assume there will be union members working the pier. IE: Philly, Baltimore, Boston, etc. but I have no information about the other piers.

Tipping a couple bucks per bag is what I usually do myself, but I will NOT be intimidated or bullied into giving them more. Like I have said....ALWAYS get their number from their vest if they try to extort money from you. Give the information to a check-in agent and they will pass it on to the Chief Porter. They do take action, but they need the information first. Don't say anything to the porter, just make note of his number.

Thank you for that information, very helpful.:)

Happy sails ,have a wonderful cruise!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Again I have never had a porter give me an attitude or ask for money at any port. I guess it's just me. Some of you seem to have trouble with every porter you meet. I guess it's good to be me.

Have you sailed from San Francisco?

We sail with just a carry-on and backpack, so it doesn't apply to us :D

I always tip a couple dollars per bag. More if the potter stays with us for a while. We've found the porter speeds you through customs and helps get a taxi faster. We've had some better than others but none that ever demanded a tip. I fold the money and hand it to them and say thank you. They say thank you and put the money in their pocket without looking at it. I amazed some people have had the porters count the tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Porters - don't be "afraid" - just be aware. They were fleecing people for tips...if you know what the deal is, you won't be "had". The rain also gave them a distinct advantage as people just wanted to get out of the rain. Also, you have the option of dropping your suitcases yourself. As you are facing the ship, you would go all the way to the left to the end and drop them where the porters are leaving them for the crew. As for the pallet in the water, I heard, with my own ears, the gentleman they have on board who gives some of the scholarship at sea lectures talking to a family about it. I also spoke to a couple who received their luggage completely soaked through - not just rain wet, soaked to the point where Princess laundered all of their clothes for them, so I don't think it's a rumour.

Take it for what it is. I am the type of person who likes more information than not and when I tried to alert my fellow passengers on our RollCall a few of them told me to stop "bitching". We sail tomorrow on the Star Princess from San Francisco.

Thank you! I did go to your roll call to see what was being said and was outraged at people disbelieving what was going on. :rolleyes: I think there will be more posts on this when the ship disembarks tomorrow. Those on that cruise that had the pallet go into the ocean may start posting. Not that many people post on cruise critic while on their cruise. Not to mention, all the owners' of the luggage that went into the ocean are on cruise critic.

We will be walking to the end as you stated and avoiding all the porters. I think the biggest problem with this is that they get tipped up front. Anytime you give a tip, it is typically after the service is performed. You tip at the end of a cab ride, the end of a cruise, the end of a meal, at the end of an excursion, etc. This has turned into a bribery/bullyng atmosphere that I will not tolerate. Why should I tip before I know if my luggage is handled properly? I always used to and now I'm thinking "shame on me." :(

Our luggage is small and I think I could carry it on and get it through the scanners if need be. We are going to avoid the porters on our upcoming cruise.

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

If service is "not real good" I do not tip!

They don't have to jump through hoops but you better be pleasant and provide the service you are paid to provide.

When you treat me poorly, overcharging taxi ride,ignoring me ,playing your religious programs on the radio loudly ,talking on your cell phone ...no I do not tip! I have been confronted and suggested we call a policeman they back down every time.

Reader

I feel the same way . No hoops , just be pleasant and professional. Really great service gets a really great tip.

I have had waitresses you could tell were new and training and they certainly weren't top notch. But you could tell they were trying as best they can. I still gave a good tip.

I guess those people on your roll call never saw "On The Waterfront" :)

Again I have never had a porter give me an attitude or ask for money at any port. I guess it's just me. Some of you seem to have trouble with every porter you meet. I guess it's good to be me. 😊

Me too. I appreciate the job they do and tip accordingly. A smile and a tip goes a long way. :)

One of our Jan 3 Roll Call members works for the SF Dept of Public Works:

I made some calls this morning and here is the response I got from an SF Port Official:

Many thanks for your info below. These comments that you have sent to us are apparent to us as well as we have received numerous complaints about their actions. Our team has formed an action plan to further address the negative comments and actions that these porters have shown to cruise line guests. In no manner do we condone nor allow this extortion for a service provided to guests of any cruise line, especially our largest client Princess Cruise Lines. As you are aware there is no new contract for the Union, but that does not allow them to act in any manner less than professional. Myself and Senior Management will be monitoring the porter operations tomorrow in front of the building to make sure the new embarking guests as well as debarking guests are shown the courtesy they deserve and should have received. Once again thanks for reaching out to us, and letting us know more about comments from other guests. All the best and Happy New Years."

I don't foresee any problems with us tomorrow.

Like the old Al Capone line "A kind word and a gun , get you a lot farther than a kind word

Thanks for the laugh! Lol :D

Probably should not have struck me as funny but coming off a week of the flu with the husband in a knee high cast it did!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Ya'll have me scared. I have had 16 cruises and have never had problems with the porters. I don't tip heavy, a buck a bag. But I have never been through SF either. I did go through Miami and that could be bad, but not with the porters.

I did have a problem with a shuttle driver. The fare was $40 and I gave him a $10 tip. He asked if I really wanted to give him that (twice). I said yes but if he thought it was too much he could give some back. He really got pissed then. But, he was a replanted New Yorker, so I should have expected that.

Edited by AZbeachboy