MITSUGIRLYS extensive extra Sky review

mitsugirly

deck 6

Staying at the back of the ship, you will come to the Stardust Lounge on both the 6th floor and 7th floor. I will show you pics from both.

PB170216%20copy-L.jpg

PB170215%20copy-L.jpg

In this next picture, you will notice these bars in front of the seats. I really can't imagine who would come up with such an idea to put in a theater because they pretty much block your view of the stage as you peep through them during shows.

PB170217%20copy-L.jpg

PB170218%20copy-L.jpg

PB170219%20copy-L.jpg

The seating was pretty much the same as on the Sun. They had the regular round chairs and the couch chairs and tables in front of you to put your drinks and such. It was just a little more elegant looking to me.

PB170221%20copy-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

I hate to butt in but I will :eek:

You know you are in Miami when you come across that rudeness you experienced with that woman at the port. Take it with a grain of salt. In the United States of course that is considered rude. But Miami is not part of the United States and that is just normal :eek:

Walking out of the theater, you will come to a hallway with the library (which either I didn't notice it or it was exactly the same as the Sun and I didn't realize I hadn't taken pictures of it).

Then you are in the hallway with the pictures the ship takes of you. I didn't really take a picture of this area again. It's the same as the Sun and just a long hallway with your pictures everywhere and things that you can buy, duty free, like cameras, extras, scrapbooks, bobble heads and so on.

Then you come to Captain Crooks bar. It was also basically the same as the Sun and had pretty ships in a glass display in there. (You can see part of the photo gallery in the background in the following picture).

PB200348%20copy-L.jpg

PB200349%20copy-L.jpg

PB200347%20copy-L.jpg

Next up is Dazzles Night Club. This was the place for parties at night and after hours and they also played games and had contest here during the day.

PB170006%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

I did notice that the Sky didn't seem to be as clean as the Sun was. It just seemed "older" to me and didn't have the upkeep that the Sun did. But, I guess you can expect this with a ship they are now running as 3 and 4 day cruises.

PB170031%20copy-L.jpg

PB170050%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

PB170161%20copy-L.jpg

Just inside of Dazzles, they had one of their coin machines. (This was located in the Sports Bar on the Sun). We did try to get some coins out of here...we were unsuccessful...more on that later.

PB170162%20copy-L.jpg

Some days you would find that this hall and room was covered with their art collection.

PB200346%20copy-L.jpg

Then you are back at the atrium again.

Now on NCL's page of blueprints for the Sky, you will see, located there off to the side of the atrium, it says "SHOP" on both sides. But it doesn't tell you what the "shops" are.

On one side there is a shop just like on the Sun, which I did not go in but a few feet because of all of the people movers in the way. This time I would go in and explore and find out what it was. It's a shop with everything in it for the price of $10!! I managed to get a really nice beach bag in there (since I managed to lose mine somehow).

PB170164%20copy-L.jpg

On the opposite side, there is a jewelry store.

PB170156%20copy-L.jpg

PB170154%20copy-L.jpg

PB170163%20copy-L.jpg

Looking into the atrium.

PB170153%20copy-L.jpg

There really isn't anything around the atrium area but places to sit. The Internet cafe was not located here on this ship.

PB170152%20copy-L.jpg

So this is a "small" ship and you are once again to the end of this deck. On to

DECK 7

At the front of the ship is the kids club...or Splash Academy. I have to say, I really liked the way they had this one decorated compared to the boring look of the one on the Sun. It was brightly colored and looked more "exciting".

PB170166%20copy-L.jpg

PB170167%20copy-L.jpg

The hallway was pretty cool too with the decor and the peep holes.

PB170169%20copy-L.jpg

PB170172%20copy-L.jpg

PB170170%20copy-L.jpg

PB170174%20copy-L.jpg

Edited by mitsugirly

Since the Sky is designed just like the Sun, it also has the "weird" floor that you have to go down the steps to access your rooms on "6a". There is no elevator access to these rooms and you can only climb the steps up and down to get to them.

PB170189%20copy-L.jpg

PB170165%20copy-L.jpg

Up next you will come out at the Coffee Bar.

PB170205%20copy-L.jpg

PB170208%20copy-L.jpg

PB200307%20copy-L.jpg

PB170200%20copy-L.jpg

Some displays along this hallway for the shopping area behind the wall.

PB170206%20copy-L.jpg

Also beside the coffee bar they have an area to purchase watches and things. (The NCL blueprints does not list this area).

PB170207%20copy-L.jpg

So we are at the end of the floor...ending at the Stardust Lounge again, which I have already covered.

DECK 8

Next up is our Interior Room.

We booked this room so that we could get the cheapest rate possible since this was an add on cruise that we hadn't really budgeted for.

I thought I would be funny and pick THE EXACT SAME ROOM that we had on the Sun. Room 8313. It of course was not the same, the layout was different, which was disappointing. It also was located the opposite direction than it was on the Sun. We were the first door as you turn right off the elevators on the Sun. This time we had to turn left and were 2 doors down. Oh well. I thought it would be funny to have the same room number and less confusing already knowing where our room was from the previous week.

My daughter and her family had the room right before ours. My son had the room right after ours. We PURPOSELY decided to give him and his gf THAT room (instead of Kendras) to play a joke on him and mess with him the entire cruise. It was a handicapped room for the hearing impaired. It had a doorbell and lights that went off in the room when someone rang it or called. The first time we did it, they thought they had hit something in the room. The next time they thought something was wrong with the ship. They never could figure out how to turn it off and it lasted for quite some time. hehe

So heres our room...like always small.

The decor reminded me of going into grandma's house with old gold picture frames and flowers. It wasn't really appealing. Give me pictures of the ocean or beach or something "cruise" related.

PB170003%20%282%29%20copy-L.jpg

PB170035%20copy-L.jpg

The small couch that pulled out into a bed for the 3rd and 4th persons....YIKES it was small.

PB170036%20copy-L.jpg

PB170037%20copy-L.jpg

The closet with the safe. This safe was super easy to lock and unlock. Just put in a code and you are done. Nothing like the old safes in the Sun rooms.

PB170040%20copy-L.jpg

Notice the drawers below it. This is what you had to put your things in. That was pretty much IT! Other than the few hangers you had in the area next to it to hang a few things. The storage in this room was ridiculous and it's the WORSE that I have come across on any of the NCL fleet. I have always found that even though the rooms are small, they make the most of every inch of space they can for storage. This was the exception on this ship. I can't imagine spending 7 days on it and having your things everywhere.

The door to the closet

PB170039%20copy-L.jpg

The Sky holds special memories for me, she was the first ship I ever cruised on - 2002 to Alaska. We wanted to do something special for our 25th wedding anniversary. We knew nothing of cruising and our TA friend suggested NCL as a cruise line that matched our lifestyle - freestyle. We booked a balcony but just a few weeks before our cruise our TA called us and announced that NCL had offered us an upgrade to a suite.

Your pictures brought back memories of that most wonderful first ever cruise. Some of the names have changed - as did the décor for Hawaii.

Our next cruise is almost 2yrs away - I wish it was next year.:(

Hey at least they give you a mirror I guess.

PB170041%20copy-L.jpg

PB200262%20copy-L.jpg

Ok, you see this thing under the desk in the room??? I never could figure it out until we heard the announcements come across it one day on the cruise. It only happened 1 time and not with all the announcements. I have always wondered why you could never hear any of the announcements in your room and are forced to open up the doors to hear anything. I hate that.

PB200265%20copy-L.jpg

The plugs available at the desk.

PB200266%20copy-L.jpg

The bathroom was exactly the same as the Sun almost.

PB170042%20copy-L.jpg

PB170043%20copy-L.jpg

If you followed my Sun review, you would remember that I complained about how low the shampoo and body wash station was in the shower. You couldn't even get your bath sponge under it. Well, this one was in a good location, which gave you plenty of room to use it.

PB200269%20copy-L.jpg

The other good thing was that the shower did not beat you to death like the Sun did. It was the perfect amount of stream.

PB200270%20copy-L.jpg

Of course it was just as small as the Sun and rounded with the shower curtain that loved to hug your body. However, at least I was able to take my knowledge from the Sun cruise and apply it here to keep it from sticking to me.

PB200271%20copy-L.jpg

PB200272%20copy-L.jpg

PB200274%20copy-L.jpg

PB200275%20copy-L.jpg

Notice the 3 towels here? Because there are 3 of us right?

PB200276%20copy-L.jpg

This is the thermostat that no matter how many times I turned it to a little warmer, I would come back to a freezing room and the steward having it on full blast Alaska mode.

PB200278%20copy-L.jpg

Here's your "comfy" bed...it was hard as a brick!

PB200282%20copy-L.jpg

The phones were a lot different on here. You just dial the room number without a prefix before it. I kept messing this up because I was use to dialing the way it was on the Sun.

PB200283%20copy-L.jpg

Notice anything here? See anything in the carpet? You had to use a lot of force to get your closet door open to use it. It drug the floor and carpet. Ugh

PB200286%20copy-L.jpg

PB200285%20copy-L.jpg

There's a hook to hang your....whatever on it.

PB200280%20copy-L.jpg

A place to put your key card. No this did not control the lights like it does on some of the ships. They worked no matter what.

PB200291%20copy-L.jpg

For those of you that needs to know pricing

PB200292%20copy-L.jpg

Oh almost forgot...the drying line in the bathroom...it wasn't in the shower (can you imagine in this shower???), but across the bathroom itself.

PB200293%20copy-L.jpg

We got a lovely down comforter...that was tore apart at the seems and while sleeping, it would bug the crap out of me because I would go to pull it up and only get what seemed to be a sheet while the rest of it remained down. Ugh

PB200296%20copy-L.jpg

This is the hairdryer they provide for you

PB200375%20copy-L.jpg

This is the couch pulled out into a bed. I can't imagine having to pull it all the way out for 2 more people to sleep there and someone from the regular bed having to get up to use the restroom. You would be climbing over them. The worse ever.

PB210387%20copy-L.jpg

PB210388%20copy-L.jpg

PB210389%20copy-L.jpg

We had them just make up the couch for Sakari to sleep in. There was no way I wanted to deal with going over that thing. I tried it several different ways. Although she is getting a little too big for just sleeping on a couch this size. It won't last much longer.