Any New Updates for Orient Beach

shilo5

I am wondering if anyone has any new updates for Orient Beach regarding the beach/seaweed cleanup. We will be at port in St. Maarten in mid-January 2015 and would love to sign up for an excursion but are not sure at this point whether it would be worth it or not. The area where we were located last year on the beach was near Waikiki. Any new information on the condition of the beach will be helpful. Thank you.

I am wondering the same thing. We were planning to spend the day at Orange Fever, the first week of January, and now I'm not sure what to do instead.

I was at Orient in October after the storm and Orange Fever had heavy damage but Kakao Beach Club and others near Kakao Beach club were okay.

I am wondering if anyone has any new updates for Orient Beach regarding the beach/seaweed cleanup. We will be at port in St. Maarten in mid-January 2015 and would love to sign up for an excursion but are not sure at this point whether it would be worth it or not. The area where we were located last year on the beach was near Waikiki. Any new information on the condition of the beach will be helpful. Thank you.

Maybe this WebCam will help. The Cam is located at Club orient around 500 yards south of the tourist area of Orient beach.

The seaweed seems to come and go. http://webcam.cluborient.com:81/

We were on Orient on Xmas day, seaweed wasn't very bad.

You don't need to book an excursion, take a cab, if there are 6 or more in the cab, the fare is $7/pp each way.

We went to Orange Fever, no problems there - for $7 you get lounge w/padded cushion, umbrella and a drink ticket. they have their own bathroom, and food was good and reasonable $$. Good location on the beach.

Anyone else been to Orient Beach lately? We're interested in any updates to the beach condition, i.e. seaweed, hurricane damage. Specifically, the areas around Pedro's and the nude beach.

We were there Dec. 9 and we were so disappointed in the condition of the beach. We had remembered it to be beautiful white sand with crystal blue calming waters. What we found was a beach filled with mounds of seaweed and a very rough murky sea! The waves knocked many swimmers over, but the water was warm as you moved around the seaweed. This was the case at ALL the Orient beach areas, nude or otherwise. Also we saw nude people (who would really look a lot better with a bathing suit on) at several beaches. The topless women and the men with g-string pouch thingies strolled up and down the beach.

On a positive note, the seaweed seemed to be less as the mid-afternoon approached.

We're going to St. Maarten next week - staying for a couple of weeks. We always hit beaches all around the island, so I'll post a general report from there.

We will be there next month.... I will look here for your update on the beach conditions. Thanks so much!

We were there in December and there were piles of seaweed and we were very disappointed. The water was filled with seaweed and the smell from some of the piles of seaweed was nasty.it was a month ago and the seaweed was all along Orient beach. Orient beach was always my favorite but after that last visit I'll wait till things improve. There were piles of seafood about1-2 feet high. I love swimming but the floating seaweed was getting caught on my body and swimsuit. We always go to Orange Fever but the beach condition in that area was horrible so we walked down the beach farther and things were a little better. We will be returning in April and hope things get better .

We were there in December and there were piles of seaweed and we were very disappointed. The water was filled with seaweed and the smell from some of the piles of seaweed was nasty.it was a month ago and the seaweed was all along Orient beach. Orient beach was always my favorite but after that last visit I'll wait till things improve. There were piles of seafood about1-2 feet high. I love swimming but the floating seaweed was getting caught on my body and swimsuit. We always go to Orange Fever but the beach condition in that area was horrible so we walked down the beach farther and things were a little better. We will be returning in April and hope things get better .

With the current issues, are other beaches on the island a better choice?

We very much look forward to your updates.

LuLu

We are staying at Oyster Bay Beach Resort at the north end of Dawn Beach - which has a lot of seaweed. It gets raked every day and moved off in a bucket loader - but it keeps coming in. Most of the beach is clear, and there are areas in the water without seaweed, but there is a lot. The southern part of Dawn Beach where the Westin is has very little seaweed

At Le Galion, the beach is largely clear of seaweed, but the water is pretty full with it drifting around.

We went up to Orient today-- there is scattered seaweed on much of the beach and in the water--- with the exception of the area around the Palm Beach restaurant towards the north end. There the beach is completely clear and there was no seaweed in the water. You want to take the road a couple of hundred yards north of the main way into Orient, or you can walk along the beach. Palm Beach is a pretty good restaurant - free chairs and umbrellas if you eat there.

Aside from the seaweed there is little evidence of the hurricane.

Friar's Bay, Baie Rouge and Mullet, being on the Caribbean side seem little impacted by seaweed.