What happened to Voyager?

nexus42

A quick browse of the member reviews for Voyager of the Seas reveals overwhelmingly negative feedback for her most recent sailings. A lot of the complaints seem to focus on poor service.

We travelled on Voyager on her recent repositioning from Singapore to Sydney and although we had a good time overall, we did experience a number of issues and definitely noticed a deterioration in the quality of service provided by the crew since we were last on the ship.

There could be a number of reasons why this is the case. It is possible that there are a lot of new crew on board and many don't know exactly what they're doing yet. One would expect that it would take a couple of weeks before things are straightened out, but based on recent reviews the problems seem to be ongoing. In addition, in our experience on the ship the new staff were actually the ones who provided the best service. It was the older and more experienced crew members (who have most likely been there the longest) who we found were providing unfriendly service.

It also seemed to me that crew morale was quite low on board. I've theorised that this is due to the staff not receiving much in tips in comparison to say a North America cruise, so maybe some crew are a bit upset over that? If this was the problem you would expect it to be the same on the other RCI ships out of Australia, however this doesn't seem to hold up when browsing the reviews for other RCI ships. Possibly just poor management on Voyager?

So, have others noticed a deterioration in service quality on Voyager? Does anyone want to have a go at explaining it?

We will be on Voyager on Monday so it will be interesting to see whether things have improved in the weeks since the Singapore cruise. Regarding cruise reviews, have a read of the most recent Carnival Legend review. Not happy Jan.

Edited by aussielozzie18

I can say the same issue arose the first season she came here, due to crewing arrangements out of Asia.

They did change things after, but if it is staffing, it could be a similar cause as her operating base is Asia as distinct from the other RCL ships that come here.

Don't waste your time reading reviews on this site. They are worthless and provide little information that is worthwhile. Bad reviews are like an infections virus and most humans are like sheep and tend to follow a leader. One person says and the rest follow. Personally I think anyone who posts a review on these boards ought to scan a copy of their cruise ticket as proof that they went. That is how much credibility I give the reviews on this site.

Don't waste your time reading reviews on this site. They are worthless and provide little information that is worthwhile. Bad reviews are like an infections virus and most humans are like sheep and tend to follow a leader. One person says and the rest follow. Personally I think anyone who posts a review on these boards ought to scan a copy of their cruise ticket as proof that they went. That is how much credibility I give the reviews on this site.

We were on the Singapore / Sydney cruise.

The staff I all talked to seemed fine. They were all friendly and helpful.

There are always areas that can be improved, changes made that some like, others do not. Overall the Voyager offers a far superior product than other cruise lines based in Australia.

We have cruise on the Voyager before the refit and very recently and the service and staff on both cruises were fine, very friendly and helpful.

Same happened prior to our first cruise on Voyager -the reviews were bad about staff & the ship had noro aboard for weeks. We sailed a few months later & all was fine.

I think any changeover cruise from one culture to another in this case Asian to Western causes issues as the staff adjust to client expectations.

Met a friend yesterday who did that cruise also had issues but with different things. She felt everything was too crowded but it's hard to compare since she hadn't been on Voyager before.

A quick browse of the member reviews for Voyager of the Seas reveals overwhelmingly negative feedback for her most recent sailings. A lot of the complaints seem to focus on poor service.

We travelled on Voyager on her recent repositioning from Singapore to Sydney and although we had a good time overall, we did experience a number of issues and definitely noticed a deterioration in the quality of service provided by the crew since we were last on the ship.

There could be a number of reasons why this is the case. It is possible that there are a lot of new crew on board and many don't know exactly what they're doing yet. One would expect that it would take a couple of weeks before things are straightened out, but based on recent reviews the problems seem to be ongoing. In addition, in our experience on the ship the new staff were actually the ones who provided the best service. It was the older and more experienced crew members (who have most likely been there the longest) who we found were providing unfriendly service.

It also seemed to me that crew morale was quite low on board. I've theorised that this is due to the staff not receiving much in tips in comparison to say a North America cruise, so maybe some crew are a bit upset over that? If this was the problem you would expect it to be the same on the other RCI ships out of Australia, however this doesn't seem to hold up when browsing the reviews for other RCI ships. Possibly just poor management on Voyager?

So, have others noticed a deterioration in service quality on Voyager? Does anyone want to have a go at explaining it?

Was only on Voyager for one night but the service was as good if not better than other ships! Also seemed less of a language barrier than what I experience with Celebrity too :)

For only a one night cruise I was surprised how so many staff went to the effort of learning our names!

Don't think your theory on the tips stacks up, RCCL have set it up so it is close enough to impossible not to tip the staff and provided they do pass on what they say they do, it's very decent money they're bringing in. If they're expecting tips on top of tips that's a bit excessive and I doubt any cultures tip much above the recommended amounts either, unless they get completely above and beyond service.

On Carnival, having a chat with our dining waiter he said that Australia was the best place in the world to be based because we're so relaxed and are respectful and understanding to the workers. He said many other places around the world can be quite rude and over demanding to them, he said he really disliked working out of the US too which is where the most tipping would be if anything.

Either that or that was just his way of buttering up the Australians :p

Although I agree the service on the one-nighter was good, I don't believe it's a model representation of cruises at that time.

Certainly there were some issues with the cruise before ours, which had been resolved by the time ours went. And the majority of reviews are from that one. Similarly issues of crowding and reduced service wouldn't be apparent on our 1-nighter given it only sailed at half capacity.

Edited by The_Big_M

It's my opinion that most reviews are from those people who have had a bad experience and just want to vent. Other reviews are just from people who hAve nothing better to do than simply complain about everything! I often encounter people like this on cruises who can just never be satisfied. A review is meant to be just that, a review. Maybe an overall summary of what was good and what could be improved. Some people just go on about the most ridiculous things and then you realise it's just someone complaining about having no shampoo in their room or having to pay an extra fee for something they believe should be free.

Sure it looks like there were a few issues that need to be ironed out on board. I'm cruising in Feb so I hope these things are resolved by then, however unless it's the cruise from hell I'm sure I will have a great time. After all cruising, as far as I'm concerned is about what you make of it. If you foresee having a bad time, you will have a bad time.

Not to mention the price you pay, I think you can't really complain too much about not having luxury shampoo in your room, or because you have to wait 10 minutes to get a seat in the Windjammer.

We were also on the Singapore to Sydney cruise and would tend to agree with most of the poor reviews that have been posted, finding them to be accurate and at the very least, consistent. Like most people on these boards we have been on many cruises and in comparison, this one was definitely well below the standard we have come to expect . This is also the first time we have ever felt the need to write negative comments on the post cruise survey. Whilst there are no complaints about the refurb itself, the standard of service on this ship was nothing short of abysmal. Dining room service was mediocre at best, table service in the bars was virtually non existent. I really hope that someone from RCI is paying attention to all these reviews as there is something not quite right on the Voyager at the moment.

I've not been on this ship but talking of reviews overall, I do enjoy reading them and I think most people can sift through any complaints and see if the points brought up are of interest or relevant to your own needs.

I do think experiences can differ, even on the same cruise. On our first cruise (with Sun Princess) we had the most marvellous dining room experience each night, with such helpful staff, with a sense of humour. But on talking to another passenger who was in the other dining room, she mentioned how their waiter was really spoiling the trip for her as he was rude and the service was bad.

We were both on the same cruise, same ship, both making perfectly reasonable comments, just dealing with different staff.

It's quite clear that there were a few problems with the re-positioning cruise. The general consensus seems to be that boarding was a nightmare. Service was pretty lax and that they ran out of things. Most likely issues that will be resolved with a little time. The same thing happend when Voyager arrived in Aus for the first time. There were certainly some teething problems!!

What I refer to as "wingeing" moreso relates to stupid stuff and stuff cruise companies can't avoid. Things like having too many children on board. Really? Book during school holidays and winge about too many kids? Come on!! Getting charged for things that you don't feel you should get charged for? That one rude staff member, rough weather. Security confiscated my (insert contraband item here)! And so on and so forth!!

You see it all the time in reviews! As far as I'm concerned that's not a "review" that's someone venting! Hence why I do not take a lot of consideration for those type of reviews. I look more for ones where the whole experience was critiqued. From good to bad. Ship, service, room, food, ports etc. etc.

Bad reviews or not, I'm looking forward to sailing on Voyager in Feb next year. I'll enjoy it, regardless of the horrible food and annoying children running around. It's two weeks off work. No cooking or cleaning. What's not to love?

That's exactly right, Frog! You will be away on holiday and not having to cook.

:D That makes for an excellent start to any holiday.

I've been on a cruise where almost quarter of the passengers were children (it was in the summer holidays). I didn't find it an issue at all. They did tend to fill the swimming pool but that is to be expected, they've got to do something to enjoy themselves. In fact I found that a lot of the time, I barely noticed them on the ship. I suppose it helped that I was a teacher so I am used to having children around, they don't worry me at all.

I had to laugh at the bit where you mentioned someone gave a bad review comment because of rough weather.:p That's a bit harsh. It reminds me of ebay where some sellers on the forum there have mentioned buyers gave them a negative rating after buying a DVD-because they didn't like the way the movie ended!!!:eek:

There are nought so strange as folks, as they say.

Agree, I never take reviews onboard....always pack the right attitude.;)

Agree, I never take reviews onboard....always pack the right attitude.;)

I enjoy reading some reviews just for the giggle factor. It's funny reading some of the silly things people complain about.

Sure things go wrong on vacations, but really? Some of the gripes I have read have just made me giggle. Here's a quote I found recently. (Apologies if anyone is offended or if you are the author of said quote. It's just too good an example of some of the silliness that you read in reviews).

QUOTE:

Coffee was fine but to get served with tea we were given a teabag and then eventually some hot water, then it was DIY. Certainly NOT fine dining!

END QUOTE

Must be hard stirring a tea bag and water together, and GASP adding some milk and perhaps sugar in. I suppose some people want the waiter to lift the cup to their mouth too??

I think the phrase "First world problems" really spring to mind when you read some of the stuff in those reviews. Sorry not taking a jab at anyone but just pointing out why I rarely take any notice of some of the reviews posted! :(

There were people whinging on our last cruise about the bar prices. I only drink cocktails which are reasonably priced. I'm sure the wine/ spirit prices were on par with other cruise lines.

We sat with 3 people at breakfast in the dining room one morning. All they did were whinge and I ended up making up an excuse to leave the table. Not a good way to start the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There were people whinging on our last cruise about the bar prices. I only drink cocktails which are reasonably priced. I'm sure the wine/ spirit prices were on par with other cruise lines.

We sat with 3 people at breakfast in the dining room one morning. All they did were whinge and I ended up making up an excuse to leave the table. Not a good way to start the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is interesting what some people come out with. We had some people complaining they never got upgrades, whine, grizzle. Yet they bragged about booking a disabled/accessible room. Just tick the box they said. This was more than 12 months out from the cruise. Disgraceful. (yes we did reports them, but got no reply)

My experience of breakfast in the dining room has been similar. Or another time we sat with a bunch and it was 20 questions - each! I am all for being friendly, but I would like time to actually eat please? This is why I like room service and sit on my balcony. I cruise to relax :)

I enjoy reading some reviews just for the giggle factor. It's funny reading some of the silly things people complain about.

Sure things go wrong on vacations, but really? Some of the gripes I have read have just made me giggle. Here's a quote I found recently. (Apologies if anyone is offended or if you are the author of said quote. It's just too good an example of some of the silliness that you read in reviews).

QUOTE:

Coffee was fine but to get served with tea we were given a teabag and then eventually some hot water, then it was DIY. Certainly NOT fine dining!

END QUOTE

Must be hard stirring a tea bag and water together, and GASP adding some milk and perhaps sugar in. I suppose some people want the waiter to lift the cup to their mouth too??

I think the phrase "First world problems" really spring to mind when you read some of the stuff in those reviews. Sorry not taking a jab at anyone but just pointing out why I rarely take any notice of some of the reviews posted! :(

Hahahaha I read that too and laughed...

It must have been a terrible strain!

We are taking a lot of the reviews with a pinch of salt. We sailed on the Pacific Jewel with P&O a few years back. It was pretty average service all round, the ships public areas were always a mess, the weather was horrid and we missed ports. A waiter even spilled hot water on my lap during lunch!

But we were on holidays and not at work, so we enjoyed it nonetheless!

We're pretty easy to please it seems...

We're booked on the Voyager on Feb 22 to Nz, so short of the staff punching me in the face, I reckon I'll have a good time [emoji12]