Aboard the Cloud

duct tape

No, the bloom is not off the rose, the bloom is off my wishful memory. If, as suggested, by The Powers That Be, that the Cloud will be restored, I am happy. It will be a definitely different experience. Wes, just for you, I forgot to mention that the gym is also high on the list! I will get around to starting a new thread on the Shadow's Grand Voyage soon. Thanx, everyone, for your interest!

Appreciate, DT, your updates and added details/insights from your recent experiences on the Silver Cloud. We will be on her in 13 days. We do not have the long history with this ship and Silversea as you and others do, but we greatly enjoyed our travels on this ship with you and the staff during the July 2010 Norway trip.

From readings on this CC Board and dealing with comments for other lines, things have "changed" in many ways and for different areas. Some of that is good, some not as desired. For us, the destinations are our first priority. We like excellent service, staff, food, etc. Hopefully, we will have a range of good things to enjoy on the Silver Cloud. Will report for how things work out during these two different, B2B cruises. It might not be the "same", but we will focus on maximizing the experience.

Look forward to reading about your Shadow's Grand Voyage.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,810 views for this posting.

duct tape, thanks for that Cloud gym update--we would book the Cloud immediately following the renovation. Fair Winds and Following Seas on the Shadow

Was on the Cloud a few months ago and agree about the Gym. Will also be back on her just after the fall dry-dock this year. Looking forward to seeing the new look and what's been improved...

Cloud needs so much attention that the cost will be prohibitive but I was reassured otherwise. There are plans for an extensive dry dock in the fall. Mechanicals, decking (8), climate, etc. will be addressed. The owner wants to save it.
Looks like about 20 days late October / early November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Stumblefoot

Sorry to learn from Duct Tape reports of the unfortunate demise of the Cloud which has been our own personal favourite since our first cruise on her in 1999.Sadly we are unable to turn back the clock in terms of all the familiar faces amongst the wonderful crew and officers of the Cloud but fingers crossed the new breed will be taught properly and learn quickly and return the ship to its former high standards we have been priveledged to enjoy since 1999. DT. Hope your upcoming Shadow cruise provides a more positive experience for you both.

The Tour Department on the Cloud would be a good place to start.

Oh, no, I was planning on using the tour department once onboard for a private tour. Are you suggesting I should set that up before we sail? May I ask,did you use the tour department for scheduled excursion or a private tour?

Cruisers have to understand that issues can arise with local operators and we have to go with the flow. Problems can pop up in foreign lands. But the tour office does have an obligation to do their homework in advance before assembling a tour and sending out the passengers. The true test of the tour department is how they handle the problems once reported. For example, there was near 100% complaints at a new stop in Honduras a few

weeks ago. Silversea immediately decided to discontinue this port as a result, but they did not refund or accommodate the guests. The Cloud tour office handled it poorly and without care.

Just home from 11 days on Cloud. I missed Throast but did finally manage to connect with Duct Tape at pool bar prior to them transferring. Fun to connect a face. I did see that kilt on Throast though!

Re comment on pool service: experienced the same breakdown on our first sea day. Fortunately I detailed the problem on the cruise questionnaire and within 2 hours had a written response from HD, phone call interview with guest relations manager, personal call from head bartender, response from restaurant manager and immediately service was restored to Silversea standards for everyone at the pool bar and then The Bar. You couldn't put a glass down before the refill came. Service in every venue was excellent. The ship looks great - crew is cohesive and happy - some but not many familiar faces amongst the crew - full ship with 175 Venetians and about 100 newbies - many Europeans - the new boutique is a money loser and will probably not last with outrageous merchandise prices - only disappointment was food - I had ONE memorable dinner which is not usually the case. Grant head chef but either his budget has been cut or he was off his game. Very disappointing. I did not eat at Champagne because the menu was same ole -- Terraza's duck ragout not up to snuff either. Of course food is subjective but I think I have enough experience to compare with the good old days......One new twist: no breakfast room service on disembarkation day. Not even coffee. HD told me Cloud is being used to test this further elimination of the little things that made SS special (my words, not his). Debarkation was the smoothest and easiest ever - checked out and through customs in less than 10 minutes.

Dusababy thanks for the detailed update. It sounds like SS has a commercial strategy which will ultimately involve pushing guests to their limits in terms of service reduction. We were undecided between Venice to Rome on The Cloud or a similar itinerary with Seabourn. I don't want to be anybody's cost-saving guinea pig and am therefore even happier that we plumped for Seabourn. The fact that is was a) marginally cheaper than SS and b) we have secured $700 OBC via TA and referral program further sweetens the deal.

Just home from 11 days on Cloud. Re comment on pool service: experienced the same breakdown on our first sea day. Fortunately I detailed the problem on the cruise questionnaire and within 2 hours had a written response from HD, phone call interview with guest relations manager, personal call from head bartender, response from restaurant manager and immediately service was restored to Silversea standards for everyone at the pool bar and then The Bar. You couldn't put a glass down before the refill came. Service in every venue was excellent. The ship looks great - crew is cohesive and happy - only disappointment was food - I had ONE memorable dinner which is not usually the case. Grant head chef but either his budget has been cut or he was off his game. HD told me Cloud is being used to test this further elimination of the little things that made SS special (my words, not his). Debarkation was the smoothest and easiest ever.

Appreciate these many and varied details from dusababy on the current status of things on the Silver Cloud. It's just eight days till we will be boarding this Silversea ship in Barbados. For our 17-day Amazon River cruise, my understanding is that there will be about 190-195 passengers on this sailing. Will do a live-blog with many pictures from the ship and the various port stops.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,175 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Just home from 11 days on Cloud. .........

only disappointment was food - I had ONE memorable dinner which is not usually the case. Grant head chef but either his budget has been cut or he was off his game. Very disappointing. I did not eat at Champagne because the menu was same ole -- Terraza's duck ragout not up to snuff either. Of course food is subjective but I think I have enough experience to compare with the good old days......

One new twist: no breakfast room service on disembarkation day. Not even coffee.

Another sad tale of the decline of a line many of us love(d?) very much.

I too have noticed a significant decline in the quality of the food, and I think (and believe I have suggested in previous posts) that the galleys are being provisioned by inferior product. We cannot of course examine the cuts of meat, etc., loaded in the galley. But we can see what alcoholic spirits are available as normal pours (without surcharge). Here I see a painful downgrading.

No suite room service on disembarkation day? This is a particular loss. Let's see how room service/butlers do on port days when a goodly number of guests want the same free tour that leaves early and request room service at the same hour.

Appreciate these many and varied details from dusababy on the current status of things on the Silver Cloud. It's just eight days till we will be boarding this Silversea ship in Barbados. For our 17-day Amazon River cruise, my understanding is that there will be about 190-195 passengers on this sailing. Will do a live-blog with many pictures from the ship and the various port stops.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,175 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I would think that fewer than 200 passengers on the Amazon cruise would be very disappointing to Silversea. It wasn't long ago, as I recall, that this cruise was always sold out.

Dusababy- If the HD admitted to you that the Cloud is being used to test how far Silversea can go in eliminating certain services, then I would say this is a pretty shocking admission. I’d also guess that this particular HD’s days at Silversea are now numbered.

Dusababy- If the HD admitted to you that the Cloud is being used to test how far Silversea can go in eliminating certain services, then I would say this is a pretty shocking admission. I’d also guess that this particular HD’s days at Silversea are now numbered.

I agree with both points.

I agree with both points.

HD did not in so many words state "testing to see HOW MANY SERVICES CAN BE ELIIMINATED" without too much outcry, but it was obvious to me that is the point. We shall see, but negative response from Venetian guests hasn't made any difference in the past.

of the cloud voyage 1519 from Copenhagen to tower bridge.

After reading the reviews, I admit to some pause for concern.

We have always had in suite breakfast the day we get off the vessel. Are we spoiled? You betcha we are.

It's a leisurely way to spend the last few minutes aboard.

It's just made the day one gets off the ship so much easier especially as we are usually rushing to catch a flight. The brochure on line says "in suite dining and 24 hour room service-always complimentary, always available".

Truth in advertising?

What else will the powers that be determine is a reasonable cost cutting measure?

Honestly, I just sit back and laugh as people squabble about cuts in goods and services. It's been a ten year drag down the slope. This is how long it takes for people to notice? Congratulations to SS for taking so long to find the bottom.

Not sure that I would label the comments as squabble, but I can label my own comments as input to the subject matter at hand. I don't have a ten year history with silversea. I can only comment on my personal experience with the line which began in 2012. As I just retired, I was looking forward to the freedom to travel and cruise more. I would also like to have some loyalty to a brand, if warranted. Nothing ever stays the same and change may be for the good. I hope to find out the impact of the changes from my own experience and from the experiences of others.