How does a cash account work?

TheMama1010

I was reading in a different thread about the option of having a cash account on board. Can someone explain how this works? Is there a minimum amount needed (I'll be on ncl if that helps). Do you still need a card too? Ismit possible to just put money into our account pre-trip, to avoid bringing large amounts of cash?

Thanks!

I was reading in a different thread about the option of having a cash account on board. Can someone explain how this works? Is there a minimum amount needed (I'll be on ncl if that helps). Do you still need a card too? Ismit possible to just put money into our account pre-trip, to avoid bringing large amounts of cash?

Thanks!

Cash accounts are where people use cash instead of a credit card.

To do your documents a credit card is require. To set a cash account , you go to the customer service and tell them you want to pay your bill in cash. They will ask you for approx $500 USD deposit. When you get close to needing more , they will request that you deposit another $500 USD . I would leave the CC on to pay the last bill before disbarkation so you don't stand in line and pay the account off in cash.

Thanks!

Let them know when you check in that you want to put cash on your account. If you check in early enough they may have a table set up in the terminal to take your payment, otherwise you will have to go to the customer service when you get onboard to set it up. You may put whatever amount down you wish and if you use it all your cabin key will be shut off until you deposit more. Don't forget to include enough to cover the $12 pp/pd service charge that will be assessed. Our friend deposited $152 when we embarked (the service charges had been prepaid).

You can pre-purchase OBC for your account but they will still need cash or a credit card to activate your card since the OBC won't actually show up until the next day.

We prepay the tips so not to worry about that amount when we get onboard.

We do cash accounts too. You have 24 hours to place the cash. You can still use your card for onboard purchases during that time.

Wait til after dinner to visit the guest services to place your cash.

We do not do a lot of spending and only place about 200 on our account for the two of us. If it gets low we get a note in the cabin to visit the guest services.

I close out our account after dinner the last night.

EVERYone gets a card. you need that to get on and off the ship in each port and it opens the cabin door

Have never sailed NCL so am unsure what their policy is; every line does things differently.

some lines will make you prepay $100 per person per day up front( all occupants of the cabin to include kids). others will let you charge up to X amount before they make you come down and pay it off/down. others just let you put a token amount down and will cut you off when you reach that amount and add more.

it is generally suggested to just use a Credit card to guarantee the on board spending and at any point during the cruise, you can go to GS and put cash down. however do not wait until after dinner the last night or first thing in the morning.. the lines will be atrocious.

it may be possible to preload you account with OBC by buying it ahead of time before you board, you would have to see what you options are by calling he line directly( or you TA if applicable).

I think the OP was asking if they still needed a credit card with a cash account....no, you do not!

That's what I was trying to ask, yes. Thanks! Sounds like I will need to bring the cash anyway, instead of putting it in as obc like I'd hoped. No biggie.

On RRCL You can put what ever amount you want on your account. When it runs out you have to put more on the account. They wont let you spend more than you have on there. I like using a cash account that way I keep up with how much I have spent better than using a credit card. It worked out well for me. My last cruise I think I started with 250, but my gratuities were prepaid. I only ended up adding about 100 more and then just settled up the night before the cruise was over and got what I had left in my account. Hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...