Excursions: What type of Bag & What do you pack? Older kids 13 & 10

travelnut1

So what do you bring with you? Don't want to pack too much...plus I am concerned about theft...what do you do with your bag while in the water ect...Do you bring snacks since some tours don't include food? Both boys are currently in an eat everything in sight always hungry phase. What did you pack that you didn't need or what didn't you pack that you wish you had? Here are our ports of call and planned excursions. My user name should be camera nut so lots of photo questions...

Cabo San Lucas-Chileno Bay Snorkle

This one is only a few hours so not as concerned about food-but do you suggest my DSLR or just a go-pro?

Puerto Vallarta-Las Caletas

This excursion includes food and drink (ya!) but once again should I bring my big camera? Is there anything to do with it should DH and I both go in the water? I am guessing no :( But the possibility of whale sightings on the boat ride out and what is supposedly a beautiful island make me want too.

Huatulco-Ocean Discovery Snorkeling

Another short excursion (3 hours). Think I will just pack the go pro on this one..thoughts?

Puerto Chiapas-

Considering not getting off the boat...

Cartagena Colombia-Segway tour with just our oldest. Would like to take my big camera (have used it on a Segway tour before). But am I inviting theft?

Puntarenas Costa Rica-Gio Tours 6 in 1 Tour

This is a long excursion, 7 plus hours. It does include lunch but I am thinking snacks would be needed. Definitely taking the big camera on this one.

Ochos Rios Jamaica-Dolphin Swim

Another short excursion and since I am not participating I plan on the big camera.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First of all, snacks will have to be prepackaged foods, not sandwiches and fruit off the ship. Mexico is particular about food taken off the ship, and have sniffer dogs around...for the kids, get each a small backpack, and whatever they think they will need, make them carry it. Haven't been to Puerto Chiapas in five years, but then all that was around the port was a covered open air market area, with center pit where they had native dancing. But down the shore was a covered bar area with a lovely pool. Perhaps someone on the Ports of call board can expand on what is there now.

In Puntarenas, we took a tour which involved a train ride (we are train buffs) and a ride on the river to see crocodiles. Excursion included food and drink.

P1010996_zps48c8d90f.jpg

Will post pics of Puerto chiapas next. EM

P1010977_zps05fda7ab.jpg

P1020020_zpsb693afbd.jpg

In Cartagena, we did a carriage ride. I had previously done a walking tour. There is also a pirate ship excursion from the pier:

BG-13.jpg

In Puerto Chiapas, there were dancers on the shore as you came off:

Chiapas4_zpsdcbc4770.jpg

then, there was this large covered pavilion with more dancers inside, and people selling native crafts and other tourist stuff

Chiapas1_zpsfb22f84a.jpg

Down the shore to the right (see right center in picture) there was another pavilion, with bar/restaurant. Through the trees you can see just a hint of blue. that was a lovely pool. I saw some crew swimming there.

Chiapas5_zps50964aa6.jpg

Chiapas2_zps03962a6b.jpg

Chiapas3_zps3ef97a07.jpg

This was in March 2009, so things may be different now. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

Bring ONLY what you need for the type of excursions! If you're doing a beachy thing, wear your bathing suits under shorts/tee....no need to bring a change of clothes. Simply dry off before heading anywhere that wetness might be a problem!

You don't need tons of stuff. And I would make the kids bring their own bag...you don't want to be the "pack mule" for your family, so keep it light!!!

If you're on a boat or bus, you can leave your stuff there while in the water. Cash, credit card and ship's key can go in hubby's velcroed swim trunk pocket...water won't hurt any of it!

As far as food....eat a HUGE breakfast.....unless the excursions is all day, your kids won't starve in 3 hours....even tho they say they will!!! If you are doing something on your own, there are restaurants/food somewhere....after all, folks LIVE here and have to eat!!!

Edited by cb at sea

A big thank you to everyone who responded :). I don't want to be the pack mule lol, though I am concerned the kids who have never been out of the country won't be very vigilant with their stuff. Might be a good life lesson I guess. I'm thinking of just bringing one backpack. Anyone have feedback on taking a DSLR into these ports/excursions?

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

A big thank you to everyone who responded :). I don't want to be the pack mule lol, though I am concerned the kids who have never been out of the country won't be very vigilant with their stuff. Might be a good life lesson I guess. I'm thinking of just bringing one backpack. Anyone have feedback on taking a DSLR into these ports/excursions?

Thank you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We only take our DSLR off the ship if one of us can be with the bags at all time. If we are going on a snorkel excursion, we have a small waterproof Olympus that takes great pictures so we take that instead.

As far as bags, our son likes to have his stuff with him in a small string bag. My DH carries a backpack with towels and snacks (we always have protein bars with us no matter the length of the excursion). We also always bring bottled water since we feel safer drinking that. Just bring what you think you will need and leave any extra cash or credit cards in the safe on the ship.

Bring ONLY what you need for the type of excursions! If you're doing a beachy thing, wear your bathing suits under shorts/tee....no need to bring a change of clothes. Simply dry off before heading anywhere that wetness might be a problem!

You don't need tons of stuff. And I would make the kids bring their own bag...you don't want to be the "pack mule" for your family, so keep it light!!!

If you're on a boat or bus, you can leave your stuff there while in the water. Cash, credit card and ship's key can go in hubby's velcroed swim trunk pocket...water won't hurt any of it!

As far as food....eat a HUGE breakfast.....unless the excursions is all day, your kids won't starve in 3 hours....even tho they say they will!!! If you are doing something on your own, there are restaurants/food somewhere....after all, folks LIVE here and have to eat!!!

Excellent advice!

LuLu